Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Group Support Prompt #4: Elements of Yalom Group Therapy- Recognition of Universality.

ASilentObserver October 26th, 2023

Welcome back to Group Support Prompts Discussion! I hope you are all being easy on yourself & reaching out to group chats to get support this week.

Last week we discussed: What are your 3 expectations from the Group Support Chats? Thank you to all who participated and shared their thoughts for discussion. I enjoyed them. I hope you all did too. If you didn't share yours, please share them here and I look forward to reading and discussing them with you.

From this to the next couple of weeks, I will look forward to exploring the Elements of Yalom Group Therapy in the Group Chats with us. Group therapy, as envisioned by the eminent psychiatrist and author Dr. Irvin D. Yalom, goes beyond individual therapy, harnessing the power of interpersonal connections within a safe and supportive environment. I believe we all can learn and practice in group chats to unlock its effectiveness in promoting healing and growth in the group setting. It has 12 therapeutic factors as follows: altruism, cohesion, universality, interpersonal learning input and output, guidance, catharsis, identification, family re-enactment, self-understanding, instillation of hope, and existential factors.

This week we will focus on discussing: Universality! 

In the Group Chats, individuals come together to share their experiences, struggles, and triumphs, realizing that they are not alone in their pain or challenges. This realization fosters a sense of belonging and empathy, creating a space where individuals can find solace and strength in the understanding of others. It encourages us to shed our masks and be vulnerable. It gives us the courage to open up and express our deepest thoughts and feelings without judgment. Through this process, we not only find validation but also gain new perspectives and insights from others who have walked a similar path.

Take a moment to reflect on it and share your experiences or learning on Universality in the Group Chats.  I look forward to hearing and discussing with you all!

Join the Group Chats today! 

relax-sofa.gif

GoldenRuleJG October 30th, 2023

Expectations - not making false claims about people, addressing difficulty with sensitivity and honesty attempts to validate and be assertive

ASilentObserver OP October 30th, 2023

@GoldenRuleJG Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Golden. It sounds like expectations and addressing difficulties sensitively are important issues. You are dedicated to validation and assertiveness in honest yet caring ways. I appreciate your support in the Group Chats. Thank you