How Does Muting Work? An Overview.

Kate November 3rd, 2017

Three different types of mutes

Standard mute

- Three warnings in 6 hours equals a 24 hour mute

- Three more warnings within 6 hours equals another 24 hour mute

- Three more warnings within 6 hours equals a year long mute

Standard Mutes that add together expire after one year

- Ex: If you got muted on November 5th last year and then got muted in January and then got muted today, youd have a year long mute.

- Ex: If you got muted on November 1, 2016 then muted in January then muted today, youd be safe because your November 1, 2016 mute will have already expired.

Instant (Red Flag) mutes (one of these and youre automatically muted for 24 hours) happen if you receive one of the following warnings:

- Spam

- Circumventing Previous Mute

- Wrong Age

Personal mute

If someone is being hurtful towards you, click mute/report in their message. You can personally mute them in this way, which means you will not be able to see anything they type. Additionally, you can file a report on the person.

What happens if I get muted?

A first or second mute will last for 24 hours. After this time, you will be able to use the chat rooms again as usual. A third mute will last for 1 year. If you receive a third mute and believe this was in error, you can request an mute review here.

Clear? Kind of clear? What ideas do you have to improve upon the process if we were to change anything?

TortueDesBois November 3rd, 2017

it's not exactly 3 warnings in 6 hours. because if you receive a warning at 6 AM and a second warning at 10 am (so within 6 hours), the 6 hours RESET. so if the third warning is within 6 hours after the SECOND warning (and not 6 hours after the first one), then you get the 24h mute, even if your 3 warnings are finally within 10 hours and not within 6 hours.

AffyAvo November 4th, 2017

@TortueDesBois haha How carefully have you checked this out with some mods? j/k

TortueDesBois November 4th, 2017

@AffyAvo very carefuly with a mod that was called Heather.
hmmm (will my post being edited/removed for mentionning mod name?)

PhoenixAsh November 3rd, 2017

@lovelyllama13 Thank you for putting this together! I've never quite understood how mutes add up

Just one question: If you got muted on November 1, 2016 then muted in January then muted today, thren muted in December - will you receive a year long mute?

TortueDesBois November 3rd, 2017

@PhoenixAsh you will not get muted because you are a mod and mods can't mute each other.

PhoenixAsh November 4th, 2017

@TortueDesBois I know that, but I'd like to be able to inform non-mods of these things

TortueDesBois November 5th, 2017

@PhoenixAsh it's a legit question. if the second mutes reset the period of 1 year or if the first mute "expire" after 1 year and doesnt just cumulate

SunFern November 4th, 2017

@PhoenixAsh i have the same question too