Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What Is It Like To Be A Group Support Leader?

ASilentObserver November 7th, 2022

Hi everyone,

This post showcases what it’s like to be a Group Support Leader in the community.

What is a Group Support Leader?

It is an umbrella term for different leadership roles in the Member Group Chats such as Sharing Circle Host, Discussion Leader, Room Supporter, Chatroom Moderator, etc.

What do these leaders do?

They support members in group chats. They build and maintain a safe and inclusive community, host discussions on diversified topics, foster healthy and uplifting conversations, and ensure all feel heard, supported, and comforted.

Every role has its own specific activities that they perform in order to bring support to members in the member group chats. Member group chats are like Sharing Circle, Support Room, General Support, Anxiety, LGBTQ+, Relationship, Trauma, etc.

What do our Group Support Leaders think about their roles?

This is what our existing group support leaders have to say about their role:

• Being able to keep the chatrooms safe and making our hosts feel supported and valued so that they continue volunteering for us
  • Get to foster greater activity within rooms via hosting etc.
  • Supporting people generally in chats and welcoming people who are new!
  • I do on-the-spot moderating and enjoy that I can support and often finish up with a one-on-one chat with a member who really needs some extra attention.
  • I love the energy in the room and love to read the comments which usually are quite thoughtful
  • Spending time in rooms, ensuring a safe, inclusive environment.
  • The feeling of achievement after a good session
  • I like being able to be flexible.
  • The love in the chat, it's such a vibe!
  • Hosting sessions
  • That I am able to provide comfort and empathy and care in a more in-depth way to our people.
  • Ability to support members
  • I get to help people further.
  • I like helping support everyone and helping to increase morale, cheering people, helping hosts, etc.
  • As a room supporter as well as a mod, I've been able to find better ways to bring up the topics that need to be discussed. Overall, it's a healthy job that helps me find myself.

As a room supporter, chatroom moderator, or host, one is helping a member in distress feel heard and supported and knowing that there are people who they can count on and they are not alone in their challenging times.

How can I become a Group Support Leader?

There are specific requirements and criteria for each role. In addition to following Community and Chatroom Guidelines, one needs to participate in the member group chats like Sharing Circle, and Support Room and observe the participation, participate when feels comfortable and attend at least 3 Sharing Circle sessions. It will help one to become a host or discussion leader.

If you are interested to be one, you can apply to become a:

If you have any questions about the role or member group chats, you can reach out to @ASilentBunny, @Lou73 and @ASilentObserver

_1667816105.5471.jpg

Sunisshiningandsoareyou November 7th, 2022

@ASilentObserver

Thankyou for sharing Obzie. Kudos to the entire group support team.❤

goldenLion1121 November 7th, 2022

@ASilentObserver

Thanks for sharing Obs! Thank you to the entire team, you do a awesome job! <3

calmMango9611 November 7th, 2022

@ASilentObserver Thanks for this post.

Thanks for all that you and your team does, to help the other leaders to grow and feel supportive in there leadership rolls.

You have an amazing team.

Lou73 November 8th, 2022

Thanks for the post @ASilentObserver and thank you to all our group support team 😄⭐️

🦋