Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Apply for Chatroom Moderator: Information on Comm-Centered & Global

Kate January 25th, 2018

Group Support Moderator Role

The role of a Moderator is a Group Support leadership role that is essential for supportive community-building. Moderators ensure that chat rooms remain safe, inclusive, kind, and supportive for all participants. Moderators facilitate productive communication and foster a healthy environment that is necessary for emotional support.

Expectations

As a moderator in Group Support chat rooms, you will be creating and maintaining a supportive and positive community culture. Moderators engage in ongoing conversations as listeners, offer support and encouragement to participants, as well as make sure the chatroom rules are followed. As a moderator, you will use appropriate moderation tools and de-escalation techniques when they are needed to maintain chat room safety.

A. Community-Centered Moderator Criteria

Step 1: Check your profile to make sure you meet the following requirements:

• 25+ group chats
  • 2000+ cheers
  • 4 or higher overall star rating on Listener profile
  • 3+ written reviews
  • No behavior reports in the past 3 months
  • Have Verified Listener and Graduate badge
  • Been a Listener for at least 6 weeks
  • Be a Room Supporter for at least a month.

Step 2:

Note: You may pick up to THREE teams to join and focus on as you begin your mod journey. Not sure what the options are or who the leaders of the currents teams are that you would be working with? Please go the relevant community and select "About" to check the current leaders of that community.

Step 3:
Once you are accepted, we need you to be willing to:

• Complete Active Listening: In-Depth & Active Listening: Refresh & Self-Care within 30 days of becoming a moderator.
  • Be willing to get the focused room open and provide support to the members.
  • Be caring, compassionate, be willing to help others and guide room supporters to provide support in the room as well as encourage to become chatroom moderator.
  • Host at least 1 hour per team you apply to mod for. (Maximum of 3 teams)
  • You will be required to submit a Check-list form every week or two weeks for atleast 1-2 months of becoming a moderator to record about your performance and settle down in the role. This helps leaders too to see how are you getting on in your new role.

Step 4: Processing & Onboarding
Your application will be reviewed and processed. However, as per the volume of applications, it may take a minimum of 3 days to a week to get everything processed. Once you have been listed as a chatroom moderator for a focused room and completed any specific room training, you may start moderating the chat rooms.

B. Global Moderator

You will be given the option of applying for a global moderator after focusing on your chosen teams for at least two months. Please note that applying for a global moderator involves additional training and responsibility. We encourage you to focus on getting comfortable with your teams and rooms for as long as possible before expanding to the global moderator role. Application here!

• Please review this document to get started and apply for Community-Centered Group Mod.
  • Please review this document if you have been a Community Centered Group Mod for at least two months and would like to apply to be a Global Mod.

Thank you!

• I've applied. What happens next?

Community Centered Mod:

• If your application is successful, you will be invited to participate in mod training.
  • Once you submit the training form, you will be reached out by one of the Group Support Mentor Leaders or Ambassadors for further guidance.
  • You will be listed as Chatroom Moderator in the leader board in a specific sub-community. This is what gives you moderation privileges in the corresponding rooms. Note: Your mod title will only show up in the rooms you are a moderator for. Meaning, you do not receive the Group Mod Badge unless you are global.

The Support Team Leaders of the teams you selected to join will also be notified. You will be contacted by them within 3 days to a week of your original mod training. Leaders will welcome you to the team as well as give you further instructions on additional training you may need to moderator their community room, if any. For example: If you pick Self-Harm, the Self-Harm team leader will give you further information on how to safely moderate discussion on self-harm in the room.

If your application is unsuccessful, a leader will reach out to offer feedback and further guidance.

Global Moderators:

After your application is completed, please allow up to 3 days to a week for review. You will be contacted by a Group Support Mentor Leader or Ambassador to let you know if your application has been approved or what you need to do in the future before reapplying if your application was denied.

In order to ensure the integrity of the Mod badge, we will ask that you aim to send at least 100 group support messages per month. We ask that you support and guide the community-centered mods and show up in the rooms consistently.

Those who don't meet the requirements because of self-care breaks will be able to reapply for their badge back without completing the full training if they lost their badge within 2 months. Confused?

If it has been more than two months since you lost your badge, you will be asked to complete the full training again. Things change quickly and we want to make sure you are updated and aware of any changes with the moderation system.

Any Questions

Please reach out to ASilentObserver

(Updated by ASilentObserver on 2020-10-26! )
(Updated by CheeryMango on July 29th, 2021)
(Updated by LuLuRings on 9/10/2021)

(Updated by PuzichkinCat on 11/21/2021)

(Updated by Sunisshiningandsoareyou on 9/9/22)

(Updated by Suryansh on September 13, 2023)

August 10th, 2020

Tagging @HappyBellaa17 @stats30 and @shashanh as you all have asked the same question as well.

Haveahelpinghand August 12th, 2020

How??

August 12th, 2020

@Haveahelpinghand

Hi! The first step towards the Community Centered Moderator role is to become a Room Supporter. Once you have been a Room Supporter for at least two weeks, you can check out this post for more information on how to apply to become a moderator.

Frieden February 7th, 2021

@VioletVenom thanks for the information

cuddlyPudding1352 August 29th, 2020

How?

August 30th, 2020

@cuddlyPudding1352

You can check out the first post (here) in this thread for more information on how to apply to become a Group Moderator.

September 6th, 2020

What is Monthly requirements for being a mod

September 7th, 2020

@Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005

Hi! 100 messages a month in the group support rooms is the criteria to keep the role. The full list of monthly requirements for each role is listed here in this post if you would like to save it for future reference.

adorablePumpkin5173 September 11th, 2020

smiley

FrostyMonkey September 20th, 2020

Thank you!

WelcomeToMyPaige October 12th, 2020

Yes

WafflesHelp3 November 3rd, 2020

@Kate I look forward to this. Thanks Kate!

wonderfulPup8007 November 6th, 2020

What do Chatroom moderators do

November 19th, 2020

Couple of questions

1 I am working my way up to mod still at start but thought should ask now since it came to me

once you become a mod will you loose your rs badge since mod is higher ?
2 after becoming mod how long do you have to wait before you can fill out the global mod?

purpleShip7550 December 30th, 2020

I want to be a mod

December 31st, 2020

@purpleShip7550

Hi! Members can not be chatroom moderators at this time unfortunately. If you are interested, I encourage you to sign up as a listener first.

SeiraSmiles24 December 31st, 2020

Thank you for the information

CathyinCali January 3rd, 2021

I need a lot more experience to get to this level - but I appreciate leanring more about it.

serenePond3640 February 3rd, 2021

What steps would I take to apply?

TreaureSeekers3 February 3rd, 2021

How do you apply to become chat mod

MONSANTO1000 February 8th, 2021

I would like to apply.

bubblingSunrise4020 April 13th, 2021

Group mod sounds cool :)

rrretsuko August 5th, 2021

@Kate awesome <3 just applied c: thank you !

enchantingReeds7013 August 27th, 2021
😌
bouncyBeach42 October 12th, 2021

Hi, just checking out this site and gathering information.

March 25th, 2022

@Kate

who do I reach out to to check on status of gobal mod form

ASilentObserver March 25th, 2022

@RainbowdogsofParadise I will check and let you know Rain

April 3rd, 2022

@ASilentObserver

just saw this thanks to looking into it

PC12 June 19th, 2022

Phantomlover3005 July 24th, 2022

Interesting. Maybe one day I can be a moderator.

Ginevra962 August 7th, 2022

@Kate I've applied to be room supporter but haven't heard back what does that mean?

Sunisshiningandsoareyou August 7th, 2022

@Ginevra962

Tagging @ASilentObserver for you! ❤

Ginevra962 August 7th, 2022

@Kate I have been a room supporter quite some time ago does it count when I was a mod last

loveisstrongerthanfear03 March 7th, 2023

hi

ListenerGeorge March 15th, 2023

@Kate

Thank you for the post, I've been looking for this information

NeurospicyGirl August 17th, 2023

Hello,

Just an enquiry can only listeners be a group mod? (Just asking for the future as I've only just applied to be a room supporter)

Lou73 August 17th, 2023

Hey @SomebodySpicy, yes only Listeners can become moderators 😊

NeurospicyGirl August 17th, 2023

@Lou73

No problem thanks for letting me know Lou

Vagi March 25th

@Kate 

How can I get doorkeeper badge? I am just actively hosting.. but I need to take help always in setting the banner and opening room!

Only mods can open or close the room?

Lou73 March 25th

Hey @Vagi I will message you with the link for the doorkeeper application form 😊