Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Grandma is gone..

Jaeteuk July 31st

So.. My parents arrived in the afternoon in HK, Tuesday afternoon (HK time), and grandma passed the same night. I was at work today, when my mum messaged me at 5pm, which is their Wednesday morning in HK.. and told me grandma passed last night. My mind was overloaded with emotions and was shutting down. I don't have many childhood memories, but my time spent with Grandma is still very vivid. Both memories of when I was young and still lived in HK, and times when she came to Canada to visit us.

I'm so glad I told my mum to return to HK earlier, as my parents have a cruise trip in mid-September, I told her to return now, so there are no regrets or in case grandma leaves when she's on the cruise trip.. that would've been even worse.

The past weekend, we were informed Grandma returned to the hospital with low saturation levels, was given medication and seemed to be doing better. We all thought that Grandma will be okay, my Aunt in the States supposed to have a cruise trip in the beginning of August (and she had refused to to return to HK while Grandma is still healthy and told my mum, if she wants to go back then to go by herself, Aunt will not go along with her. Although Grandma had been in-and-out of the hospital since her heart attack, she was still healthy, she only had times where she was experiencing shortness-of-breath).. I wonder if my Aunt ended up needing to cancel her trip after receiving the news of Grandma's passing, and make an immediate flight back for the funeral.. I'm so glad my mum made it back in time to spend the last moments with her mother.

Unlike when my Grandfather passed (Dad's dad).. My dad was a day late upon arrival in HK.. Grandfather had left the day before he arrived.. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

At the beginning of my work shift today, I went to speak with my Manager. To give her a heads up that I'll need to take time off from work if Grandma really passes. I told her, on the last weekend of June, we were informed Grandma had a heart attack, and I went to work the following week, but it was really hard.. as I was on the verge of a breakdown as I worked.. so, I told my Manager, if Grandma passes, I'm going to need to take time off.. The beginning of my shift was around 1pm when I told her.. I messaged my Manager at 7pm, telling her I'll need to rest of the week off, I also told her I left work earlier (she asked me to touch base with her later on in the week to see how I'm doing).. I just kind of did the minimal work that is needed to be done, and kinda left everything else behind.. My mind had wondered off the moment I saw the message from my mum about Grandma's passing, and I was forgetting things (walking towards a way to grab an item, but forgot what it was I needed halfway through the walk).. I went to have my dinner earlier, and left at 7pm (so left work an hour earlier).. The nurses also leaves at 7pm, I saw them in the change room.. I guess I looked kind of out of it and for once, I was rushing to leave.. so, they asked me if everything was okay (because I don't usually ask if I could leave earlier).. so, I told them briefly that my Grandma passed away last night.. 

I'm saddened that I cannot take a flight back to HK to attend the funeral (I financially can't afford the plane tickets and the required accommodation expenses).. but, I'm thinking about taking the time to ask my mum if there is something we can do to help.. even if it's to transfer her some funds.. or whatnot.. That is, if my mum has the time to chat with me..

I hope I see Grandma in my dreams, so I have a chance to say my goodbyes to her. 😭

I'll miss you, Grandma~

Tinywhisper11 July 31st

@Jaeteuk God bless you ❤ I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad your mum got to be there is her. Just take it easy for a few days. She's a angel now in heaven, and she's heard you when you talk to her ❤ reunited at long last with your granddad ❤ hugs you tightly ❤ I'm right here for you ❤❤ we all are ❤

Jaeteuk OP July 31st

I think I'm going to be just sleeping today and tomorrow.. Going to see a friend who has a puppy on Friday.. Spend time with her dog and treat it as dog therapy. I messaged my mum saying I took a couple of days off, so if she needs someone to chat with, can message me anytime..

I just feel so saddened that I didn't visit her in recent years.. the last time I saw her was in 2008.. I don't know why I'm impacted so much.. it's not like I have many memories and past times spent with her.. From what my parents tell me, I was more close to my grandfather (dad's dad), rather than grandma (mum's mum).. And yet, I'm more emotional with the news of her passing than I imagined.

@Tinywhisper11

Tinywhisper11 July 31st

@Jaeteuk it's funny how much grief impacts us, there could be many reasons why it hurts so much. You have some memories of her ❤ happy memories you'll cherish forever ❤ just take it slowly and let yourself feel the emotions ❤ dog therapy sounds like a great idea, hugs you tightly ❤we are all here for you ❤

Jaeteuk OP August 1st

My heart feels heavy, I'm not sure if I'll be ready to return to work by Monday or not.. for now, I just need to take it one day at a time.. I'm sure my Manager will understand if I need more time off..

@Tinywhisper11

Tinywhisper11 August 1st

@Jaeteuk bless you🙁 just take it easy, take as much time as you need ❤ and remember this is your safe place, you can talk to us here ❤ hugs you tightly ❤

Jaeteuk OP August 1st

It's been a long time since I've felt so emotionally unstable.. I think this is the first time I'm feeling the grief of someone passing.. I didn't feel much when grandpa left years ago though.. With grandpa, he had a bad fall, and passed within a month's time.. He was in his 80s.. I should've been more close with the grandparents on my dad's side, rather than my grandma passing on my mum's side.. 

I think I'm feeling a little bit of guilt too.. because I didn't feel the grief with grandpa, compared to grandma.. Although grandma is in her mid-90s, she had otherwise been living a healthy life.. If it wasn't for that heart attack at the end of June, she would've lived a couple more years.. It's my Uncle's fault.. Grandma's only son, he was the one who aggravated my Grandma causing her blood pressure to rise and eventually led to the heart attack.. I believe they were arguing about Grandma's will, or that's what I heard my mum talk about amongst her sisters.

I didn't get to meet grandpa, mum's dad.. he passed while my mum was pregnant with me.. sometimes, I'd like to think, at least I got his blessings before he passed away. I met grandpa at his grave when I went to HK in 2008 to visit relatives and grandparents.. I had a little chat with him then, introduced myself and wished him well. Now, when I return to HK in the future, I'll be seeing both of them there.. As for my grandparents, only my dad's mum is still living.. but, she's got dementia.. so, she may not live that long either..

I feel so sad.. I can feel myself frowning..

@Tinywhisper11

Tinywhisper11 August 1st

@Jaeteuk 😥 it's ok to feel whatever emotions your going through ❤ it's not a easy situation, and it's not your fault you were not as close to your grandparents as you wanted to be, you all live far away, and different lives. But the love is there in your heart and theirs ❤ when the time is right (many years from now) you will get to meet them and get to know them well ❤ I'm sure they watch over you, and are very proud🙂

Jaeteuk OP August 1st

Come to think of it.. I wish my dog was still here.. she would've been such a comfort during this time.. it's been almost a decade since we lost her.. with her, I could've given her hugs, lay on her, and just have her presence as a comfort.. now, I feel like I'm falling apart when there's no one to lean on.. 😭

Tinywhisper11 August 1st

@Jaeteuk the thing is losing a loved one/family member, grieving for them never heals completely. It was my sons birthday 2 days ago, he would of been 13. Everyone here who lives at the carehome with me put flowers by his cross, and I wrote him a poem🙂 I attached it to a balloon and let it float up to heaven ❤ pain never leaves, so take it one step at a time, and lean on us here at cups ❤

Jaeteuk OP August 1st

I'm so glad I have Cups. It's my only outlet and place where I can express all my feelings.

I guess I'm someone who gets emotionally attached to another person, whether or not our times together was long or short. Once I've exchange true feelings with that person, the emotions cling on. The same goes for grandma, although the time spent with her may have only been a small portion of my life, but our times together was precious.

How do I go on with life without feeling the sadness of losing her?

Tinywhisper11 August 2nd

@Jaeteuk baby steps, allowing yourself to cry and feel. Grief doesn't go away but it gets easier ❤❤

Jaeteuk OP August 2nd

I don't know if I'm ready to return to work by Monday. I'm afraid I'd be emotionally unstable if colleagues ask me how I'm doing. Someone from Cups suggested I should return to work, as working will keep my mind busy..

But the last time I worked after hearing the news that Grandma had a heart attack, I was very sad and worried and on the verge of breaking down the entire work week. Also, a colleague complained about my productivity and efficiency, and hurtful comments were also said to me that week.

With my parents in HK, I feel like I'm taking this grief all by myself. It doesn't look like my brother had any impact from the news of her passing. I feel like I'm the only one grieving, not being able to get a good night's rest, and slowly losing my appetite..

mytwistedsoul July 31st

@Jaeteuk I'm so sorry for your loss. I remember speaking with you about her a few weeks ago. I'm so sorry to hear that she's passed. I'm glad your parents went early and that they could be there with her. 

Maybe you could get some flowers or do something to honor her memory? Even though you can't be there physically you can still be there in spirit and heart ❤️

Jaeteuk OP July 31st

I'm glad my mum made it in time for Grandma's last moments, I hope she left peacefully.. I'll wait and see what my mum thinks.. maybe I'll pitch in to the flowers they prepare.

@mytwistedsoul

mytwistedsoul August 1st

@Jaeteuk She was surrounded by her loved ones.  That I think would bring peace ❤️

Jaeteuk OP August 1st

I received a message from my mum.. says Grandma passed of old age, not from the heart attack.. and said all the siblings were at her bedside, so she passed peacefully.. that was a relief to hear.

@mytwistedsoul

magnoliahua August 1st

@Jaeteuk

I’m sorry for your loss. I bet your grandmother was a wonderful person and will be deeply missed. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. If you need anything, I’m here for you.

Jaeteuk OP August 1st

Thank you. I'm struggling with my unstable emotions. I did not expect her to pass away the same day my parents arrived in HK. I was not prepared at all for the news of her passing. I'm truly devastated and heartbroken. 😭

Jaeteuk OP August 1st

I only slept for 3 hours last night.. I'm going to have a chat with my mum today.. when she wakes up.. I didn't chat with her yesterday, because I was about to take a nap.. Today, I'll wait for the nap after she wakes up and we've chatted.. But I've messaged her my feelings and the emotions I'm having with the grief.. see what she'll say about it.

mytwistedsoul August 2nd

@Jaeteuk It's good you can message her and talk with her about your feelings. I hope it helped you feel alittle better. There seems to be alot of emotions that come up. I hope you can get some rest

Jaeteuk OP August 2nd

I haven't received any messages from my mum.. So, not sure how things are going. She didn't reply to my messages, but she sent a message in our family group chat, saying that she met with all her siblings yesterday and that Grandma left in peace. (My dad created the family group chat, just the four of us.. parents, brother, and I.. upon arriving in HK a few days ago).

I can't wait until tomorrow, when I go spend time with my colleague's puppy. Hopefully it will help, makes me think of my own dog that passed almost a decade ago. Would've been nice if Cocoa was still around.. she would've been a good therapy dog for me. 

@mytwistedsoul

mytwistedsoul August 2nd

@Jaeteuk Oh that's that great that your dad set that up. Much easy I bet for you all to keep in touch

That sounds like a wonderful day! Nothing like spending time with a puppy! Oh gosh I think about my dogs that have passed too. They're all so special in their own way. I wish they lived as long as people. Give that puppy a hug for me tomorrow please :) Take good care of yourself ❤️
Jaeteuk OP August 2nd

I've lost my appetite.. haven't had any dinner tonight.. and it's almost 9pm.. Think I'll just go to bed, and have a breakfast tomorrow.. Said I'll be at colleague's place by 7:30am.. Will see if I could sleep tonight.. Last night, I couldn't fall asleep until after 3am.. then, was awake before 6am..

@mytwistedsoul

mytwistedsoul August 2nd

@Jaeteuk That's not good. I hope you ate some breakfast this morning. Even if it was just some toast. You need to keep your strength up. Especially if your sleep is being affected too

Hopefully spending time with your colleague and their puppy this morning soothed you alittle. I know it's not a cure all but animals do bring their own kind of healing with them. Plus just hanging out with your colleague and talking might help too
Jaeteuk OP August 2nd

Yes, I had some almond butter toast this morning and some coffee.

At my colleague's now. Sleep wasn't great again, was awake around 5:45am. She works remotely at home.. so, in between her meetings, we chat. Her son is at home too, while the husband left for work earlier in the morning.

Kristynsmama August 2nd

@Jaeteuk

im so sorry about your Grandma.  She sounds like a really special person and I’m glad you have some good memories over her.

Jaeteuk OP August 3rd

I just got off the phone with my mum, we talked for 53 minutes.

She told me how grandma left, and what my Eldest Aunt said to Grandma by her ear during her last moments. My mum says in a couple of hours, her and her sisters will go to the funeral home and find out when they can cremate grandma. After cremation, Grandma will be with Grandpa. My mum told me a lot of things, even she found it awkward that I feel the grief and how much it has affected me.

So now, I'll just need to process all that she's said about Grandma, and hopefully I can feel like me again. I'm planning to take another week off, next week is a short 4-day week. As it's a holiday for us on Monday. So, I'll call in Monday, and leave a message saying that I'll be off for the week. I'll process everything this weekend.. and see if I can do something to adjust my sleep.. Then, I'll see how things go after next week..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, I went to my colleague's place as planned this morning. I was welcomed with a bark. I have not heard Timmy bark before, so that was a first. He remembers me. I spent the morning there and left around 12:30pm. Colleague prepared me some lunch before leaving. There's like a strip mall right below her complex, along with her son and Timmy, we went to the Vet to grab is medication. Then, we parted ways. She had to rush back for another meeting for work. I saw her going into her building as I walked back to get my car. It was nice to get out of the house, we chatted for a bit in between her meetings. It was nice to have someone understand what grieving is, as she shared she lost her dad 3 years ago. She suggested I take another week off, and just focus on grieving, rather than worry about whether or not I should return to work.

So, that's the plan now. My brother has a 4-day long weekend. His friend came over and they went out for lunch.. I heard from my brother, that friend will come over on Sunday for a BBQ. Not sure if more friends will join or if it's just him. He brought over some fish they planned to grill over the BBQ stove, and brought a bottle of white wine. I guess I'll find out on Sunday if there will be more guests coming or it's just that one friend. 

mytwistedsoul August 5th

@Jaeteuk I'm glad you ate. Sounds like you had a nice relaxing time with your colleague. How are you today? 

We can't really predict how we'll handle someone's passing. Your grandmother was a pretty prominent memory from childhood. Even if it's been a while since you saw her. Sometimes I think we see some people as ageless. Especially if it's been a long time since we've seen them. In our minds they're still youngish and spry. They passing comes as a surprise even though we understand the reality of life

I'm glad you're taking some time off to grieve. That way you can focus on yourself instead of worrying about work

I hope your Sunday with your brother and his friend was enjoyable :)
Jaeteuk OP August 5th

I've been feeling much better after the phone call with my mum. I was able sleep through the night. I still feel saddened, so I'm glad I've chosen to take another week off from work. 

My mum says she'll have a larger flower stand representing our family, and put our names on it. I've been looking to see what kind of message I can have my mum write on my behalf on the memorial book for Grandma. 

I feel that I'm more emotionally attached to Grandma, or to most people I encounter. So, when she passed, it had impacted more head-on than others. 

With brother's friend coming over.. I didn't really eat with them.. let them have their boys' time. But my brother did leave some food for me, so that was nice. Last summer, my brother bought a personal sized charcoal BBQ stove, the Japanese type. Where you have food on skewers over the charcoal to cook it. So, every time the friend comes over, they are sitting at our front porch. Eating and drinking. 

I went to take a nap before waking up around 7pm, and found there were some wings and fish left for me.

One of my PenPals here in Cups, suggested that if I chose to take this week off from work, to get out of the house more. So, since today is a Holiday, my Uncle asked my brother yesterday if we're free for lunch. He'll be coming into our city and have lunch with my brother and I. A late lunch though, 1:30pm, so it'll be the 4 of us. Uncle + Aunt, and brother and I. This Uncle, he retired from his job in HK last year, and is living his retirement here. His son, recently moved to New York for work, and has moved in with his girlfriend there. My cousin has been working in the States ever since he graduated from University. I think he's almost 30 now. One of our richer cousins. My Uncle used to fly here only during special holidays, now he's moved back here for retirement. Uncle lives about at least an hour's drive away from us. 

My heart still feels heavy when I think about Grandma. I think I will be like this for some time, or at least until Grandma is reunited with Grandpa. 

@mytwistedsoul

mytwistedsoul August 7th

@Jaeteuk I'm glad you were feeling better after her phone call and were able to sleep through the night. I think it's normal to still feel sad and there will probably be times when it hits harder than others. I've found that grief seems to come and go in waves

That was really nice of your brother to save you some fish and wings
I hope you had a nice visit and lunch with your aunt and uncle. I bet your uncle is glad he no longer has to make that flight but I imagine he might miss where he spent most of his life? 

Your heart will feel heavy. This is still a new loss for you and your family. There's stages and processes with grief and we go through them at our own pace ❤️
Jaeteuk OP August 7th

I think my Uncle would rather be here. As my Aunt and cousin were on their own for most of year, and that he only visited maybe 2-3 months total per year? Back in HK, he and my 2nd Uncle were business partners in a Jewelry Factory that 2nd Uncle owned. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if my 2nd Uncle still has the factory or not. 

My Uncle moved here because of the complicated politics back in HK, I believe many young couples also came to Canada and the UK over the past few years because of it.

So, I'll be returning to work next week.. I'm actually afraid of people asking me why I had been off.. or if I'm okay.. You know how colleagues are, most of them don't actually really care, and is just out of courtesy to ask. I find many of them kind look away when I answer their questions, or you could see their eyes and ears are focusing on other conversations happening in the same space. Like yesterday, one of my colleagues messaged me, only to ask if I was going to work in the morning, as she received many call-outs. (I know that aside with my sudden absence, there are 2 other colleagues on vacation).. So, there's only 3 of them, when there's usually 5 of us throughout the day. Which probably means at least 2 of them will need to work overtime to cover the work, and probably ask the Nurses to help out when possible. I also told her I won't be working for the week.

When asked, should I tell the truth of needing time off to grieve? I'm not very good with lying.. and 3 people, including my Manager, knows the reason why I'm off.. How are you suppose to reply when others say they're sorry for my loss? A "thank you"?

At least the dates are chosen for the memorial/funeral. I wonder if the cousins in HK will attend.. if it weren't for the expensive flight and accommodation, I think I would've wanted to be there. My mum said notices were given out to all extended family and Grandma's friends. 

I think I will feel a bit more relieved after Grandma has been reunited with Grandpa. For now, I still haven't had a good cry.. I've been so used to holding in my tears for purposes of sadness that I can't cry over the loss now, maybe that's why my heart feels so weighted down..

@mytwistedsoul

mytwistedsoul August 9th

@Jaeteuk That must have been hard for all of them being so far apart during that time. Omgosh politics complicates everything doesn't it? The world needs to work towards more peace all over. There's just so much turmoil everywhere

If they ask I think I would tell them your grandmother passed. There's really no sense to lie about it. And then you don't have to worry about keeping track or covering a lie

Usually a thank you is enough. That's what I say anyway

I can understand that expenses were a big factor in not being able to go and I'm sure your grandmother would understand too. It's a very nice thought of her being with your grandpa. To know she's not alone and neither is he

Oh gosh crying is a complicated thing to do. You would think it wouldn't be but when you get so used to tucking things away inside it's hard to finally let them out
Jaeteuk OP August 9th

You know, just thinking about how I'll have to say that my Grandma passed as the reason to why I've been off, just the thought of saying it out loud to those who ask me, makes me feel sad all over again. But then, I don't think it's a good excuse of not returning to work (excuse: it saddens me if asked). So, I'll still go to work on Monday and see if I can control my emotions. If it's too overwhelming, then, it probably means I'm not ready to return to work yet. I'm sure they'll be understanding.

Grandpa had been on his own since a year before I was born. So, it's nice to know that he's finally finished waiting for the reunion with Grandma. I remember, when I last went to Grandma's place in 2008, I saw many pictures of them. Those black and white wedding photos. Grandma was a beautiful lady and Grandpa was very handsome in his military uniform. For some reason, even with just looking at the pictures, I can still remember what Grandpa looks like, although I never got the chance to meet him in person. 

Crying is so difficult. That is so true, especially when we've been bottling up our emotions because of depression for decades. Now that when sadness comes, it's like my natural instinct to hold back the tears. But you know, I can't hold them back when I'm watching emotional TV drama scenes. It's weird. So, it's not like I lost the ability to cry, but I just can't do it during sadness or when needed. The most that I can progress is feeling teary, or I'd be sniffling. But, the tears just won't stream down my face.

@mytwistedsoul

mytwistedsoul August 10th

@Jaeteuk Saying it out loud makes it real. Maybe that sound stupid but that's how I always looked at it. You start to feel that stinging in the back of your eyes and your voice cracks alittle

Oh wow they must have been really missing each other to have been apart all those years. It's a really nice thought that they now be together 

I hope Monday isn't too bad for you at work and I hope that they're understanding if you need more time

I hope you have a nice peaceful weekend before heading back to work
calmMango9611 August 5th

@Jaeteuk So very sorry for your loss. I truly am. Your in my prayers and thoughts, during this time.

Jaeteuk OP August 9th

So, I sent my mum a message on what I have chosen for words for Grandma. Dad suggested I go buy my own card and mail it. Then see if I can send it through express, so it arrives in HK by next Friday, the latest. Since the funeral/memorial will be for next weekend. I'd better head out to the mall now and buy the card. First maybe ask the post office if regular mail can be sent through express first, then, purchase the card.

Jaeteuk OP August 13th

My first day back at work yesterday. Only 2 colleagues cared enough to say they're sorry for losing my Grandma. Unexpectedly from those two.. But honestly, I don't feel I'm 100% ready to return to work yet.. Once I'm back, the colleagues on my team have a way to make me feel that it's my mistake for not being able to work the past 1.5 weeks.. This one colleague makes me feel like I must work next week, because she's on vacation.. (I'm supposed to be off, and I was looking forward to it).. But, she made it sound like it's my duty as a Casual to pick up those shifts, as our second Casual got a full-time position at a different hospital and starts today.. she was supposed to be working next week, and I get to have it off. But this colleague made it sound like, I MUST work it.. so, I ended up agreed to working Tues - Thurs.

But honestly, I still don't feel like working this week. I'm still quite saddened when I'm at work.. yes, it keeps my mind busy.. but, my mind is entirely at work either.. Still going through the mixed emotions stages of grief..

Jaeteuk OP August 13th

Typo: My mind is not entirely at work either.

Jaeteuk OP August 15th

So, when I got to work today (Wednesday), I got into a heated conversation with my colleague near the beginning of my shift. I'm just so upset and angry, that she keeps comparing my grief to what they call "we all have sh*t going on in our lives and we still come to work like a normal person".

Maybe I'm not a normal person. So, just as I've planned, I have called in sick for Thursday and Friday's shift this week. I called after my shift tonight (Wednesday), in my car. I also went for my comfort food after work. A Korean restaurant that I just went to the past Sunday by myself too. That place was packed, they open everyday from 11am - 11pm. I arrived around 8:30pm, and had to wait for a seat! It's a small restaurant though, maybe only seat 28-30 people in total. 

Tomorrow, I'm going over to my colleague's/friend's place and spend time with her puppy again. My only dog therapy for now.. maybe I need Grief Counselling.. But I don't have extended medical insurance to cover for it..

mytwistedsoul August 15th

@Jaeteuk I'm sorry this person is lacking in compassion and understanding. What she said was so wrong and insensitive. She doesn't have to agree with how you're grieving but those comments she should have the decency to keep to herself. Nobody knows how they'll grieve when they lose someone. There isn't some rulebook for grief. It's not a one size fits all experience. I lost my father in December. I never imagined that it would affect me the way it has

I'm glad you're doing what's right for you. Taking time off and going for your comfort food. And spending time with your friend and her puppy