Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dreams of the dead

HatsEatYou October 15th, 2023

My sister died 3 years ago. Since her death I have only dreamed about her once. I have extremely vivid dreams, I often wake feeling like I have lived years in the dreams. Her absences from them is not something I really noticed until a few nights ago. I had a truly horrific dream about her in which she was alive but she ended her life in my boyfriends bathroom. I had to deal with her body and tell my family about her dying again. In the dream we all knew she had died before and were so happy she was back with us. So it was such a blow for her to die again. In the dream I could not stop crying, I was literally curled up on the floor and could not stand up i was sobbing so hard. All my grief came back fresh as the day she really died. I woke up crying too and I haven't been able to get the images of my dream out my head since. Its been days and I feel like the dream hollowed me out somehow. I didn’t know that dreaming of a dead loved one being alive could hurt so much, it was so nice to see her again even if it was just a dream, but to have her taken away again in the dream. It was heart breaking. Why would my own mind do this to me? I have hated that I dream vividly for a long time but this really takes the cake on worst thing to dream about.

The other dream i had about my sister was just after her death, it was about her ghosts who was haunting me and my family trying to convince us she was alive. It was more horror movie vibes and didn't bother me as much since it was less real somehow. But the one the other night was so real i felt emotions in the dream and could think and hope and was so angry and upset. In someways my emotions in the dream where more vivid than in reality. Basically this dream has messed me up. I talked to my boyfriend about this dream but he doesn't seem to understand how vivid and real it felt. How much it is effecting my mood now im awake. I'm kinda scared to sleep incase i dream like that again. Does anyone else dream about a loved one who has past being alive? Is it a comfort or do you hate it too?

Mya000 October 18th, 2023

@HatsEatYou I'm really sorry to hear about the pain and distress you're going through due to these dreams about your sister. Dreaming about a loved one who has passed can be complex and emotionally challenging, and each person's experience with it can be different.

It's not uncommon for people to dream about departed loved ones, and these dreams can evoke a range of emotions, from comfort to distress. Dreams often draw from our subconscious thoughts, emotions, and fears, sometimes creating scenarios that feel distressing or even traumatic. The vividness and realism of the dream can intensify these feelings, making it difficult to shake off the emotions even after waking up.

It might be beneficial to consider speaking with a mental health professional, like a psychologist, who can help you navigate and process these dreams and the emotions they bring up. They can provide strategies to cope with the distress and offer insights into how to manage the impact on your emotions and daily life.

Many people have similar experiences, and it's okay to seek help and support when needed. Your well-being is important, and there are ways to work through these emotions. Take care of yourself 💚