Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Overcoming self-esteem issues

ScottGambit February 16th

I have stuggled with self-esteem my whole life and have never felt comfortable with how I look. I started going to therapy a couple months and my therapist has been really helping me with this. Today I took my first selfie in almost 10 years, I made it my profile picture even though I know most people don't do that here. I made it my profile picture because I want to be proud of what I look like and I dont want to hide anymore. I know I have my flaws but I am starting to see my strengths and be comfortable with who I am. I know it's just 1 picture but it is a big deal for me and I am proud to be taking this step, even if it is small. I don't know if anyone will care about this but I just wanted to share :) I hope everyone is happy and comfortable with who they are

Tinywhisper11 February 16th

@ScottGambit well scott let me be the first to say ๐Ÿ˜ hubbabubba๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I think that's a awesome accomplishment, so we'll done โคโค I use my photos as pfp for similar reasons, I to hate my body, we'll what's left of it. We probably have differen t and some similar reasons to have low self esteem and reasons to not feel good about our looks. In fact I like putting my photo up cause people on this site actually call me pretty, they think I'm normal. It's a great. Confidence boost ๐Ÿ™‚ gives you a giant tiny hug โค

ScottGambit OP February 16th

@Tinywhisper11 thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words. It feels great to relate to someone about this ๐Ÿ’œ and I think you are very pretty too ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

@ScottGambit I'm ok looking from the neck up๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ otherwise it's a bit of a wreck๐Ÿ˜‹ but one step at a time, we bravelyย  caonquered the first step pfp' when you know what the next step is let me know may be we can both work on it ๐Ÿ˜ โค hugs you tightly โค

@Tinywhisper11 i think the next step is body positivity! I know we are in different circumstances but i am also insecure about my body. I think it's important to know that you are perfect just the way you are! Its also important to compliment yourself without saying "yeah, but". Im still working on that one lol And one last thing, you seem to have a really great personality which is all that really matters, at least to me. You are beautiful on the inside and out ๐Ÿ’œ

@ScottGambit yeah I eat make-up๐Ÿ˜‹ it keeps me pretty on the inside too๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I've tried saying nice things about myself but it's very forced and I can't do it

@Tinywhisper11 ooo! Ooo! I have a idea of you don't like your body, and I don't like mine let's swap๐Ÿ˜

@Tinywhisper11 lol you have a great sense of humor. I also have a hard time saying nice things about myself so im with you there. My therapist has me saying nice things to myself while looking in the mirror and it feels very awkward lol but i am keeping an open mind and trusting that it will get better

Tinywhisper11 February 17th

@ScottGambit โค๐Ÿ˜โค it will get better โค just think when we are old and wrinkly, we look back at photos of us and think wow! I used to have teeth and no saggy bits, or wrinkles, I was gorgeous๐Ÿ˜

ScottGambit OP February 17th

@Tinywhisper11 thank you ๐Ÿ’œ and lol! That's a really nice thought ๐Ÿ˜†

acaells February 17th

@ScottGambit thats great : ) im so proud of you. it indeed is a huge step towards self positivity, and you have conquered it ! yayย  haha๐Ÿค— hope you keep this up and start becoming more accepting towards yourself :) we all are with you on your way.

@acaells thank you so much! Your kind words and support really means a lot to me ๐Ÿ’œ

acaells February 18th

@ScottGambit anytime <3

sailormoon97 February 17th

You're not alone. I struggle with self-esteem too. I've read books on body neutrality and body positivity. Also have done workbooks to help with my body image. It's still a challenge for me, but maybe some time soon I'll completely love and accept my body just as it is. Feel confident and comfortable in my own skin as well.

@sailormoon97 I believe in you! You will definitely get there and be accepting of yourself. I have faith in you and will support you on your journey :) we all deserve to be happy

iloveyouxx February 17th

hihiย @ScottGambit !!๐Ÿค

self confidence really is a hard thing- it takes a lot

Iโ€™m happy your therapists been helping you :>ย 

omiigoshh thatโ€™s suchh a big achievement :00๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

Iโ€™m happy for you :> the day we stop hiding is a scary but exciting day :> and yippee to reaching that day :D๐Ÿ’œ

ย being able to acknowledge that you have flaws and getting comfy with it is (in my opinion) better than denying it and still being comfy- if you donโ€™t know/canโ€™t acknowledge what you look like I donโ€™t think you can actually love yourself because then youโ€™d end up loving your fake image of you. acknowledging is hard too so good job <3

nono it really is a big deal :0 and not small. itโ€™s a big step that really anyone should be proud of because it really takes a lot <3

thank you for sharing this wonderful accomplishment :> youโ€™re doing great and Iโ€™ll be here until you reach the next big steps๐Ÿ’œ

@iloveyouxx thank you so much for your very kind words! I agree with everything you said. I really appreciate your support and being there with me while I move to bigger steps. It really means a lot to me ๐Ÿ’œ

Tinywhisper11 February 18th

@ScottGambit rolls in โ™ฟโ™ฟโ™ฟ helloooo โค I was just thinking about you, and thought I'd check in. How are you doing?

iloveyouxx February 18th

@Tinywhisper11

:00 donโ€™t mind me, this is random but it says you posted this 60 minutes ago :0 instead of an hour xD hehe I notice such pointless things and still point them out :P

you can go on now๐Ÿ˜

@iloveyouxx ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I'm gonna call the men in white coats, to take you away๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

ScottGambit OP February 18th

@Tinywhisper11 hey! ๐Ÿ’œ I'm doing great, thanks for asking. How are you?

@ScottGambit I'm fantastically awesomely great โคโคโค are you getting lots of support here on cups?? Just wanted to make sure your getting all the support and friendship you deserve โคโค

@Tinywhisper11 that's amazing to hear! And yes, I've been overwhelmed with so much support and positivity ๐Ÿ’œ I am very gratefulย 

@ScottGambit yaaay that's grrreat โคโค and I'm just a tag away of you need me โค gives you a giant tiny hug โค

@Tinywhisper11 I really appreciate you ๐Ÿ’œ gives you a big hug ๐Ÿ’œ

compassionateCar7091 February 18th

I love your courageous spirit

@compassionateCar7091 thank you ๐Ÿ’œ

Countrygirl095 February 18th

@ScottGambit let me be the first to tell you that I'm proud of you for practicing self-awareness

jason7127 February 20th

good on you mate. it is a nice picture too. if you can do this , others can see it is possible too. im very happy that you are feeling better for yourself.

wontwakewontsleep February 22nd

@ScottGambit - Truly inspiring and brave and lovely to meet another perfectly human person. My therapist had the same recommendation! She challenged me to take a selfie every week, not for anyone else, just for me in my phone. My selfesteem much improved and more work to do. Be proud! Huge accomplishment. We got this!

ScottGambit OP February 22nd

@wontwakewontsleep thank you so much! Im glad your self esteem is improving as well! And you're right, we got this! ๐Ÿ’œ

absorbantlistener February 23rd

Dear Scott, I took a long breathe when you mentioned that this was your first selfie in almost 10 years. I can only imagine years of days spent in turmoil amid sharp self-judgments. I congratulate you for your constant attempts to face your discomforts and making one step at a time to come so far. Wishing you all the best.

StarSummer15 February 23rd

@ScottGambit I am so proud of you, you've done an amazing thing. Keep up the good work and remember I'm rooting for you! You are incredible!