Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Almost A Year

Enthenia July 13th

1000007965_1720830697.jpg

Although she does cause frustration and loss of sleep, I don't think I'm as tense as when I got her as a gift almost a year ago. We still have at least six months to go before she fully matures but she has calmed down quite a lot.

I used to feel annoyed because I didn't understand her and couldn't take her on long walks and she'd chew on a lot of things she shouldn't but I'm glad I have her.

Tinywhisper11 July 13th

@Enthenia awww shes a cute doggy ❤❤ it's surprising how quickly pets become our family, little angels that even when their naughty, we still could never be without them ❤❤ gives you a giant tiny hug ❤

Enthenia OP July 13th

@Tinywhisper11 Thanks! I'm not getting as upset when she does things she shouldn't (like grabbing a new book I was reading and ripping the cover and pages out of it. I made the mistake of saying "hi" to the cat and left the book where the dog could grab it) and she's making me get more exercise. Today, we just came back from playing with one of her outside toys. We were out for over an hour and she'll want to play more once she's rested. Her breed was made to work all day long so she has a lot of energy.

competentTruth3079 July 13th

@Enthenia Cat envy, it's a real thing with border collies, even just petting the cat, dog goes crazy, tries to intervene. Hopefully your house isn't being dismantled, they're smart enough to get into everything and make fuzz of furniture.

Enthenia OP July 13th

@competentTruth3079 she's a mini Aussie actually but I guess they have a similar temperament. Usually she's okay with it but I stopped in the middle of playing ball (apparently a cardinal sin)...

Tinywhisper11 July 14th

@Enthenia dogs are hard work😂😂😂 by her a treadmill😂😂😂❤❤

Enthenia OP July 14th

@Tinywhisper11 they cost more than I can afford. 

Tinywhisper11 July 14th

@Enthenia ok just a long lead and dangle a treat😃

Enthenia OP July 14th

@Tinywhisper11 well playing in the puppy area with her boomerang for over an hour wears her out on weekends.

Still want to get the ball pit for her. Hopefully this week.

@Enthenia Always liked the blue brown eye combo, cute k9. It does require tough toys, amazing how they chew through almost anything. Glad to hear you're getting acclimated to dog life. 

Enthenia OP July 13th

@competentTruth3079 I had one a few years ago but a completely different breed. He wasn't a working dog. He was a Heinz 57 and he was fine waiting for me to get home from work. Not her. She has to go in her crate otherwise she'd tear the place up while I'm at work.

I do play with her when I get home (usually for a few hours) and I keep her entertained the best I can. Getting some more toys for her which will hopefully keep her busy. She is listening and when she slipped her collar this morning (got excited seeing the neighbors's dogs) she went home and waited for me at the door.

@Enthenia That dog was waiting for you the ketchup apparently. My dog was like that too it was a French's Mustard. Tangy. Heinz 57 is a breed of ketchup with phenomenal temperament and taste. I feel like we're being paid to plug products. 😹💯

Enthenia OP July 13th

@competentTruth3079 they told my brother (was his dog originally but didn't want the effort of taking care of him) that he was a Rottweiler/Chihuahua mix but there was no trace of either breed in him.

@Enthenia Depends upon the religion maybe, maybe in the caste system the dog actually was reincarnated from such.

faithfulLime4715 July 14th

I have a herding dog as well, that first year and a half was such a blur from trauma 😂😂 my girl was just so mouthy and smart and chewed a lot and didn’t cuddle. 8 years later couldn’t imagine my life with our her

Enthenia OP July 14th

@faithfulLime4715 yes. My last dog was SO different. There were more instances of feeling guilty for not having space for her to run around in i.e., a big field than not and I felt stuck with her because she was a gift but she's so happy when I get up in the morning and she randomly gives me kisses.

She does listen--sometimes it's hard when she's excited but she is a good girl overall.

Cyclops555 July 14th

@Enthenia so sweet god bless u both

Enthenia OP July 14th

@Cyclops555 thanks! She just finished helping me vacuum. I have a stick style and she tries to direct where it goes. The chore takes longer with her assistance but I was patient.