Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Synesthesia

musiclover1127 March 16th, 2015

So I saw that there are a lot of different forums on here but I haven't seen any on synesthesia.

Synesthesia is defined as the cross-wiring of cells in the brain causing you to mix 2 or more of your senses. For me, every letter, number, and most symbols are assigned to a color. For example, the letter A is yellow. Sometimes certain feelings or pains make me think of different colors also.

There are many different kinds of synesthesia. Some people taste things when they hear certain words, others see things when they smell other things.

This has always made reading and writing (even texting) pretty difficult on me and I've always felt like a weird outsider. I was wondering if anyone else has synesthesia that I could talk to?

Koohii March 16th, 2015

While I don't havesynesthesia, I just wanted to say: that sounds sort of awesome, actually :o

Miracle March 16th, 2015

That's really interesting, like the above poster I don't have experience with this but I do know a fair bit about it. I am wondering if might be willing to do a AMA about this?

musiclover1127 OP March 16th, 2015

Sure. You can ask me anything and I can try to answer :)

thedancerwithin May 31st, 2015

Hey :) I have synesthesia too :) Mine's mainly:

- Hearing-motion synesthesia

- sometimes hearing-motion-colour synesthesia(a 3 way one)

- Mirror-touch synesthesia

​So yep. I understand the struggles you're going through. It's not easy just because it's such a foreign thing for people to conceptualise. On the bright side though, it really motivates me to compose my own music just because I don't really like modern trashy music. Listening to bad music is basically like cutting myself (though I've never done that before) Somehow I just know how it feels. You can talk to me if you like :P

Tinytreefrogs August 2nd, 2015

I have synesthesia too! I have letters/number/symbols to color, sound to color, sound to smell, personalities have colors too, and a few words have smells too.

Kedestria September 20th, 2015

I have this too! Mine is mostly sound to colour but I have some spatial synesthesia (months of the year only), pain to colour, emotion to colour and some people have a two-colour combination.

September 20th, 2015

Hey there @musiclover1127 ! Thanks for sharing this and spreading the awareness, as you can see it is a big support to lots of people here :) Well done

Revelree November 22nd, 2015

Well, I just took the Synesthesia battery test and found out that I have synesthesia. It's associative, and quite a list actually, but here it is:

Numbers->Color

Letters->Color

Weekdays->Color

Months->Color

Sequences->Spatial locations
(Sequences such as numbers, weekdays or months)

Pain->Color

Personalities->Color

Emotion->Color

Sound->Touch

Vision->Taste

My synesthesia used to be subconscious, but when I started to become aware of it, flashes of color were actually popping in my mind's eye. Like right now for example, I am having a yellow headache. I guess I'm just a little bit amazed and freaked out. So anyone who is willing to talk about it with me is appreciated. :)

bluelotus99 September 11th, 2016

This is extremely interesting.

colorsinside March 4th, 2017

@musiclover1127

Hey musiclover1127! I have synesthesia, too. For me, sounds have colors, shape, temperature, texture, and sometimes smell/taste. I also have mirror touch and associate numbers/letters/days of the week/months with colors. I've never met another person who has synesthesia and I often feel very alienated from everyone else.

AmalieAnne March 6th, 2017

I have never meet anyone with it as much as me as well, for me it is so so confusing. When I am tried which is a lot everything gets mixed up and it takes me so long to make sense of any thing.