Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mental health - Support staying happy!

Ella3141 June 30th, 2015

I would just like to share an important AHA moment that is very influential on my perception of mental health. I will very briefly explain the context before I move on to the actual two realizations that I'd like to share: Mental illness is an issue in my family (as I am sure it is in most, whether acknowledged or not) and it fascinates and seriously scares me at the same time (I hope I am not alone in that).During my battle with this fear and with the question of my own mental health, I had two realizations that struck me as being key to mental health, especially when you are not currently suffering from mental illness but have nonetheless experienced it in your family:

1. Mental illness can be preventable (I am speaking from a personal view point regarding depression and am aware this is not always true). Yes, it's a scary thought thanI will probably be exposed to it in the course ofmy life, butI amnot helpless. It is not a "fate" hanging overme like an invisible threat. I can take measures to prevent or alleviateit, which leads me to:

2.I don't have to be miserable to seek professional help. Being miserable is NOT the "excuse" for seeking help and support, it is the consequence of NOT DOING SO early on. If I have issues I need to workthrough andwhen difficult times arise, I am responsible for taking action BEFORE I actually become miserable. It is my simple and natural right to be happy always, and therefore it is also my simple and natural right to ask for help to either get there or KEEP IT THAT WAY, regardless of how well I am presently.

Of course, all this applies to everyone (in my mind). Let me know what you think! smiley

Lorena27 June 30th, 2015

Great post! I agree with your point that mental illness is preventable in the sense that you can do something about not letting it take a draining toll on your life. But I also understand that some people feel helpless to their mental illness, probably because they don't know how to cope with it and are overwhelmed bythe condition. I am in total agreement with your view that we can take action to help ourselves before we become miserable. Yet if we do become miserable I think it's important to practice accepting that emotionand anyentailed thoughts that might come along, along with other uncomfortable thoughts or emotions - that's part of taking action. Thanks for sharing Ella 3141:)

Ella3141 OP July 1st, 2015

Thanks for answering, Lorena! I absolutely agree with what you just added and am very grateful that you did, since it was the part "missing" from my post.
Like I said, this was written from the situation I am in right now, that's why I focused on "prevention". Of course you're absolutely right, negative emotions and mental illnesses should be accepted as such and never downplayed.
Professional support is even more important in such cases. I aught to mention too, that mental illness is never anyone's "fault" and difficulties coping with it are entirely natural, like you said.