Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Casual Worker

Jaeteuk January 11th, 2023

Hello fellow healthcare workers!

I finished an intense 4-month Certificate program to become a Medical Device Reprocessing Technician. I got a job about 2 months upon completion. During the practicum of the Program, I finally felt I had a purpose in life, that my career was meaningful and I felt passionate about it. That was in 2018. I worked in the field for about 2 years, from a Casual status to a Relief Full-time. Then, a colleague who went to a different department, recommended to her Manager that I will be a good addition to the team (as a Casual, who relieves vacation and sick calls). With the recognition of my work ethics being an asset to the team, I agreed. I'm now into my 3rd year in this new department (Operating Room Aide), and I'm starting to feel that this is not something that I can do as a career. In my mid-30s now, to still work as a Casual (unstable income and shifts), this is not normal and my future is at stake.

So, the questions is, what can I do now? Returning to what I had studied for, it might mean that I'll need apply to a different hospital (because I'm on bad terms with a couple of previous colleagues in that department), or look into something else in the medical field that I can qualify for with the experiences I've gathered so far. I recently looked at job postings, and searching through all locations within my Health Authority, there were no positions that fit my qualifications.

I spoke with my Manager last month, asked if it's possible to change my position from Casual to Part-time? She only said that her current budget is already at its maximum, but will still take a look at it. So, not knowing how long it will take her to calculate, I think I'll need to look for an optional alternative. I still like the work I'm doing, as it still has a similar purpose to me, but to be working shifts only to cover vacation of 5 other colleagues in the team, means that I don't have a stable work week. Even if they spread out their vacation days, it does not fall on all 52 weeks annually. Just like this year, no one is on vacation until a week in March and 2 weeks in April!

The only upside to having no income is that I'm still living at home with my parents and brother, so I don't have that many extra expenses I need to pay, compared to if I had moved out on my own. Still, it would be more ideal to have a full-time position, for the sake of my future.

Thanks for listening~

ouiCherie January 11th, 2023

@Jaeteuk

Hi Jaetuk, nice discussion about career. Although I am not familiar with your field of work, I understand that you want a more reliable income and better job security.

It is a proactive act that you spoke to the manager, and you are searching for a job that matches your qualifications within your area of expertise.

What about a side hustle? Any passion/hobby that you can monetize for the time being?

Jaeteuk OP January 11th, 2023

It's in the works, but I'm trying to start my own business. It will probably take a few years before I start earning an income though, but until then, it's probably better if I have a full-time position. I'll be fine with a part-time, if full-time is too much to ask for. At least with a permanent position, I'll have extended medical benefits and paid vacation/sick calls. Unlike the Casual status that I'm in now.

ouiCherie January 11th, 2023

@Jaeteuk

I hear you. Starting a business is not a walk in the park and you have started trying. That's a step ahead of many people. Great job!

Permanent employment is a huge fixed cost for employers. Yet it is unfair to keep people in casual employment for a long period. Your bargaining power will be stronger if it is difficult for them to find your replacement. How do you improve your bargaining power?

I hope that being on 7 Cups will be helpful to your emotional wellbeing during these times. And hopefully you will hear good news soon from your manager or you will find a job that will give you permanent employment 🤍

Jaeteuk OP January 11th, 2023

Working on the potential business is my focus, with no shifts these couple of months. Spending time on it every day, getting encouragement from my brother, as it was his idea and sponsored me.

The department needs to have an employee to relieve vacation, so my position must exist. I understand and see that it's not necessary to become a 6th full-time employee working at the same time as everybody else, unless my work revolves around all 5 colleagues. Otherwise, there won't be anything to do. That's why I said even part-time will work, even as part-time staff, I'd still get the full benefits. Still much better than Casual status.

I was very honest with my Manager. I told her, with no prescheduled shifts for January and February, meaning no income for 2 months, it's not okay. Even told her I needed to pay off a debt. I even offered helping a fellow colleague with her work at the desk, 2 clerks that I help with covering their vacations for. At the moment, because I did not get extra training to do their jobs, when they are on vacation, one other lady who was trained as their backup, would go into the office from her original position. Yet, another colleague would take over her shift, and I end up working the evening shift in their place. I mentioned to the Manager that I had a chat with one of the 2 clerks, that I won't mind helping her, knowing that she's behind in a lot of her tasks. With that being said, Manager told me that she'll talk to the clerk, and maybe she can schedule some workload shifts for me sometime. So, maybe in February, I might get an extra week? I told her I'm wanting to use January to work on my business, not revealing what it is until I've succeeded~