Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

TW: PTSD, Nightmares, Bipolar

pinkBalloon6267 September 12th

Hi

i have ptsd and the rest and im really struggling waking up with flashbacks and nightmares. The dreams are so vivid and scary. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the nightmares? I don’t expect complex life saving answers, just if you can please share how you cope I’d be so appreciative. I wake up hyperventilating, borderline throwing up. I’m scared. I don’t sleep much generally because of Hypo-mania and then I sleep 16 hours a day, I’m petrified of my own brain.

thank you for reading this

Mya000 7 hours ago

@pinkBalloon6267 I’m really sorry you’re experiencing such intense nightmares and flashbacks—it sounds incredibly challenging. Coping with these kinds of nightmares can be tough, but here are a few strategies that might help:

Practicing grounding exercises when you wake up can help you reconnect with the present moment. Techniques like deep breathing, focusing on your senses, or gently stretching might help calm you.

Make your sleep environment as calming as possible. This could include soft lighting, calming scents, or comforting items that help you feel secure.

Writing down your thoughts and feelings before bed can sometimes help process them and reduce their intensity in your dreams.

Incorporating mindfulness practices or relaxation exercises before bedtime might help ease your mind and improve the quality of your sleep.

If you haven’t already, seeking support from a therapist who specializes in trauma or PTSD can be incredibly valuable. They can offer tailored strategies and support for dealing with nightmares and the associated stress.