Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Procrastination

willinggrapes December 28th, 2022

Hi all!

During these holidays, I’ve been finding myself procrastinating tasks such as cleaning my room and watering my plants, and I end up not doing it at all when I wanted to finish the task on a certain day. Usually, what goes through my head when I begin to procrastinate a task is that I will leave it to do it on a “special occasion”. E.g., I want to clean my room today, but I’ve decided I’m going to do it at the end of this week so I can create a fresh start for the next week (and this is when it becomes a cycle because I don’t end up cleaning my room at the end of the week)

And recently, I’ve found myself procrastinating (in a way) important things like sleep, taking a shower, etc. I say in a way because I do end up doing it each day. I just leave it until it’s very late at night, e.g. I want to take a shower earlier so I can sleep earlier, but I end up showering a lot later than expected because I don’t have the energy to get up and shower AND I want to sleep early because I have work tomorrow morning, but I stay up late in the end scrolling through social media because I don’t want to close my eyes and sleep.

When I do procrastinate, I end up watching YouTube or scrolling through socials. And I can’t seem to stop. It’s like I want to keep myself busy so I don’t have to do these tasks.

Hopefully this makes sense to you all, I know it may sound a bit confusing. it‘s a pretty big problem to me because I can’t seem to find a way out of this cycle. Does anyone have any tips on how to break the cycle, or things I can do to help me do these tasks early on during the day?

willinggrapes OP December 28th, 2022

To make it easier to understand, what I meant by “special occasion” is that I want to do the task on a day where I think will be the PERFECT day and time to complete it. Hopefully that makes more sense.

toughTiger6481 December 28th, 2022

@willinggrapes

there is no such thing as a perfect time for anything ever ..... the difference between those who finish things and us who procrastinate is they start and push through........

you are stealing from yourself .......time and chances to do things........... tons of people waste their precious time which is never refilled........ a person has only so much on videos of other people doing things?

give yourself deadlines on internet surfing and when you think just a bit more ask yourself at the end if something happened to you would you say wish i spent more time on you-tube...... nope you will grieve the time you let slip through your fingers

willinggrapes OP December 28th, 2022

I honestly find it really hard to find the energy to begin certain tasks. It’s like I want to do things and I want my body to move, but my body feels so disconnected from myself and sometimes it feels like I have no control over it. I have no clue what I’ve been experiencing recently, but I feel like it’s not just procrastination I’m currently dealing with now that I’m looking at it.

Does anyone know if this is a symptom or indication of something bigger that I’m dealing with? Or can anyone relate at all?

reservedPine8704 December 28th, 2022

@willinggrapes I've been struggling with this as well. What's been helping me is prioritizing the non-negotiables (rest, stretching, self care) and setting little boundaries for myself. For example "if it's not done by 10pm, it gets reserved for the next day" it may seem counterproductive but it helps me prioritize rest, which helps energy levels. I'm also trying to stop trying to adhere to a strict schedule and instead following my natural rhythms and developing a schedule on those rhythms. I am female and during times like PMS week/Menstrual week energy levels are really low, and of course normal everyday fluctuations. If you're burnt out, only do the basics, (bathe, relax, etc) as energy levels climb tackle stuff in increments. I hope this helps.

neonBlueberry1843 December 28th, 2022

@willinggrapes I relate to this loudly.

LovelyFrog8934 December 28th, 2022

You're definitely not the only one who is experiencing this!! I'm in the same boat as well. I find myself procrastinating alot even when it's not the holidays lol

I need tips as well too. ☺