Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Am I just overly emotional??

AnarchyFox March 27th, 2023

So, I think a lot. While I’m at work my thoughts are constantly filled with negative thoughts, and I’ll try to think positive and creative thoughts, or even try to think no thoughts at all, but I’ll forget and realize that I’ve just started thinking negatively again. Negative thoughts are mostly related to self hate, with the occasional intrusive thought lol.

It seems that over the last five years things have gotten better and worse in regards to my mental health. I’ll be happy for a week and think everything’s all better and that it was all in my head. Then after a little while the negative thoughts will creep back into my head. And I’ll feel that I bring more bad to the world than good. I’ll feel like everything is kinda pointless.

Anyway, the reason why I’m saying this: I know people that have it a lot harder, people who had loved ones that died, people who are in financial crisis, etc. And I know my problems aren’t that bad. I don’t have any reason to be depressed. But I still can’t help but feel horrible. And if I don’t have a reason to be depressed then what am I? Just really emotional or dramatics or negative? Sometimes I feel like it’s all in my head and that I’m just subconsciously making it all up for attention or something.

nanamikento March 27th, 2023

I don’t think you’re overly emotional you are entitled to your feelings as anyone else I get that there are worse situations you could be in but that doesn’t mean that your problems don’t matter

AnarchyFox OP March 29th, 2023

Thank you :)

toughTiger6481 March 28th, 2023

@AnarchyFox

Being depressed or feeling negative are common feelings ....... They have no boundaries .......just to people who are having a hard time etc........ Look at for example Robin Williams.......successful very wealthy admired but it did not stop his feelings or taking his own life.

it is easy to feel like things are not working and things seem pointless the hard part is finding a purpose or something to be positive about sometimes ..... i try to find a lesson in people i meet or things i see .......

comparing to others IMO is pointless. You are on a different path ...... you are growing at a different rate / time frame and lessons in life.......

ask your self what do you get out of your negative thinking? ......... most people repeat behavior if they are getting something ... do you get attention cause you are down? what would happen if you did the opposite?

i find doing something I have not tried or i have procrastinated on..... like my progress was held back because i did not take care of something.

Thanks, what you’re saying makes sense.

I’m not the best at expressing gratitude lol, but your reply was very supportive and I appreciate it.

hopefulPond6108 March 28th, 2023

@AnarchyFox Thoughts come up randomly and when they are negative we tend to pay more attention to them. And we have a dialogue with ourselves about that first negative thought which spins up more negative thoughts and it spirals into depression. The good news is we don’t have to follow the thoughts down the rabbit hole. But we need some reliable tools to stop that conversation in our head. The tools are easy to learn.

Check out Dr. David Burns book, “Feeling Good”. It helped me out tremendously with depression. Below is a link to a TED talk that Dr. Burns gave which will give you a good idea about how his therapy works. If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Thanks for the link! I’ll check it out and let you know if I have any questions! :)

creeperthecat March 28th, 2023

@AnarchyFox I've felt the same. It's easy to let the negative thoughts spiral out of control. But your feelings are valid. You're not being dramatic even though it feels like that. Hopefully we'll get through this.

Thanks for the kind words. Negative thoughts real are a pain when they start to appear throughout the day lol. But! We will get through this!