Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to make new friends as an adult?

wittyMelon8579 June 7th

I am curious if anyone have suggestions (and personal success stories) regarding how to make new friends. I recently relocated to the east coast and work remotely. The isolation and loneliness is definitely getting to be a bit much. I’m new online so please forgive me if this has been brought up in the past.

lolcooterbob3402 June 7th

Regardless if you drink or not. Male or female. Find a local dive bar and start hanging out during the day. Just be hi est with the bartender if you like the place. Your bored. Reruns are on tv. People watching is fun and scenery changes. Even if you dont drink. People have sober friends tag along. Its easy to start a conversation. People sit right next to you. Everyone going there wants to be social.

Gettingbettertoday June 11th

@lolcooterbob3402

It has been at least 5 years since I have been in a bar. What you are describing is not what I remember.

lolcooterbob3402 June 11th

Different bars have different atmospheres. I prefer hole in the wall dive bars but location location location. Ive been to places that have old timers sipping coffee never saying a word on a Friday night and I've been to a spot where at 10am it's for packed cuz next door was a culinary school.

I've also been in city's where there's is not one good bar in the whole city. So customers experience may vary. Also, the main lesson could be applied at a bookstore. Booze just greases the wheels

futureDeveloper June 8th

@wittyMelon8579 try going to workshops that suits your interests, then you can meet people with same interests. opportunity = interest * location * action

littemoon June 8th

join a sport or a club

LilachEmanuel1 June 8th

Hi 👋
I do seem to have a suggestion for you-
You might like to explore the world of "Authentic Relating" (online or in person)-
And other "sister" modalities of connecting with people.
It has been quite a life saver for me- enabling me to have a safe and regulated place to connect to people, in an authentic way, that also allows me to change and grow gradually.
I recommend "ART- authentic relating", AR-go (especially sessions called "heart lounge", and also the platform of the "Relatfull company".
You can contact me personally here if you have any questions.