Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

GOOD BOOK? Just me ranting. (again)

JollyRacher December 13th, 2023

Okay, so I decided to no longer be in denial about my situation. For a long time I thought if I belittle my emotions enough they will go away and I'll just shove them down. I can't do that anymore, because it feels like I am either slowly losing my identity or slowly losing the ability to control myself. Neither is good, so I said I would accept the fact I am struggling, and have been struggling for a while. Anyway, I saw the preview of this book and I looked at the reviews and it was pretty much all positive. It's called Good Daughter Syndrome by Katherine Fabrizio and I just finished reading the first chapter. I am loving it so far, and I'm not sure how this ends but until then I won't like recommend it but it's looking good. I shall give updates, simply because I am infatuated with this. 

JollyRacher OP December 18th, 2023

@JollyRacher

Holy smokes, 👏This👏is👏it👏 Now, I know everyone is different and while this book may speak VOLUMES to me it might not to you, but holy mackerel was this book amazing. As someone who used to be neck deep in denial this pulled me right out. Not going to lie, at first I thought this book was a scam. Almost every single review I saw was really good and written by people with generic names so I thought they were bots. Despite that, I bought the E-book version off amazon for like 5 bucks and the reviews were right!! These woman really broke it down and as an aspiring author I tip my hat to her, one writer to the other. Would I recommend it, 👏100👏percent. Usually, when I see people that have issues with their mothers being controlling or difficult it's always set boundaries, say no. To me, that's the equivalent of telling someone with depression to stop being sad, like if I knew how why would I be here?! Anyway, again this is my opinion but if you're struggling with a mother daughter power struggle/relationship I would highly suggest this book. I think one of the best things is that it's acceptable to all scenarios. Like, she doesn't try and convince you to cut your mother off nor does she try and advocate for you to stay. The book isn't about or for the mother, it's for you and that's what made me love it even more. Anyway, to conclude my rant I LOVED this book and it's only like 5 bucks so you know. 🤷‍♀️  

JustABrush December 18th, 2023

@JollyRacher
Feels great to see someone so enthusiastic about books- Here's a few I absolutely adore that held heavy messages. Emma & Me, I know who you are, Animal Farm, David Groggins, and 1984.

@JustABrush

Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out. Always nice to find another book worm on here. 🤓

lamimoon December 18th, 2023

Hello, you are really brave for accepting you have a problem!

Yes, please! Update us how's the book and journey!

All the best!💐

@lamimoon

Honestly, it was like the perfect book for me because it took the time to explain things. I was fresh out of denial so I was still pretty sensitive. She takes her time, giving you the run down and giving examples scenarios. For someone beginning their journey to get better, I think this would be the best book for them. 

lamimoon December 18th, 2023

Ayy, thank you for the feedback!

Toucan777 December 18th, 2023

Man I would LOVE to get that book but then again, who knows what I'm gonna do if my mom catches me with that book. but hey, if i can find the E-book, then I AM GETTING THAT BOOK!!

@Toucan777

I would suggest you get it, I think you can buy it on kindle as well. A worthy investment. Stay safe🫡

JollyRacher OP December 25th, 2023

@JollyRacher

One thing I will say that this book doesn't cover but I kinda wish it did would be sibling dynamics. It talks a lot about the dynamic between mother and daughter, but in a way like you're an only child. I feel like in my situation, it's more about my siblings than my mother. This book made me realize how and why my relationship with my mother felt off and uneven so to speak. I understand myself and a lot of my unconscious habits a lot better. However, a big issue for me personally, with the boundary setting is my siblings. I may not like the way my mother treats my emotional needs but then do my siblings deserve to be starved of that as well? Like a lot of things that aren't supposed to be my job to do as the "child," I do because if I don't it won't get done. One thing my sister told me was don't do the jobs and let them learn, but if I decide to not cook dinner and my parents aren't doing it do my siblings deserve to starve because of me? That's what holds me back a lot of the time, and I think it would've been amazing if that was included in the book as well. Still, a great book, and highly recommend it.