Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feeling like I'm the worst mom ever

Chrissy9419 August 3rd, 2022

So my daughters 9th birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and I was only able to get her one gift because unfortunately she starts school 1 day before and I could barely afford her school stuff I feel like I have let her down

Psalm139 August 3rd, 2022

@Chrissy9419. You are not the worst mom ever. I have 5 kids and have been where you are many times and it will be ok๐Ÿ’™.

What kids want most is our attention and love. Of course gifts are fun too. But what about a picnic at the park with some favorite snacks or a day at the lake (or ocean or river) or a nature hike (we love those) or a mom + daughter date to her favorite fastfood place? I found this article with more ideas ๐Ÿ’™

https://www.themostlysimplelife.com/simple-living/make-birthdays-special-when-youre-broke/

@Chrissy9419 I wanted to add that when my daughter was 8 I put together a sewing basket for her with fabric scraps and ribbons I already had in a basket I already had. I only bought her a sewing book for kids and a pair of sewing scissors. We were broke at the time but she loved it and we spent all day sewing together ๐Ÿ’™

Chrissy9419 OP August 3rd, 2022

My daughter is autistic and she has been looking forward to her birthday for months now she always gets so excited when she knows it's time for her birthday The only thing I have managed to do for her is get her cake ordered.. she is going to be upset when I half to tell her I can't afford her party and she's going to say well Charlie had a party for her birthday ( Charlie is her younger sister ) I think that's what is hurting me most

@Chrissy9419 My daughters are artistic too. Do you have any budget at all to work with? Dollar tree has lots of fun crafty things you could get. And also party decorations. Maybe you could put a gift basket together with crafty things and have a party at a playground?๐Ÿ’™

ilovebooksandbaking August 3rd, 2022

@Chrissy9419

Hi there, as a child growing up in the 80's life was tough financially. When I think back to childhood memories the happiest ones for me are the ones where my Mum and Dad spent time with me and my brother. The times where we would sit and laugh, listen to music, play boardgames and just have fun. I don't remember 'presents' that were given to me.

I'm really sorry that you cannot afford a party for this child, but how about something just as fun and exciting .... what about a treasure hunt. You don't need to spend a lot of money, but you could involve other people, with clues, rhymes, and the prize could be something as simple as some chocolate, or an IOU for a day out (which you could then budget for). I remember my Mum doing a treasure map of where we lived, the clues were things like " sit here and relax until 8 Red Ships have passed " Just to note the ships were cars ๐Ÿ˜‚ I know it may not be safe to do that now, but you can get creative.... and even involve your neighbours or local shops if you know them well enough (a clue in their shop window leading them to the next stop).

All in all, the memories your child will keep are ones where they have been given the gift of 'time' rather than presents. I hope it goes well for you and let us know if you want some help with the treasure map

โ˜บ๏ธ

2aphod8eeblebrox August 3rd, 2022

@ilovebooksandbaking This is so true. I remember very few gifts from my childhood, and the ones I do remember are the ones I used while spending time with friends and family! As you said, board games, laughter, and dancing wildly to music in the living room especially.

What about doing tie dye? That could be fun๐Ÿ’™Or a sleepover? Have a cupcake decorating party or a movie with popcorn and a bunch of candy lined up in bowls? They could make slime or scented play dog or do each others nails...

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Wearable-Art/Paints-Dyes-Adhesives/Dyes/Moody-Blues-Tulip-One-Step-Tie-Dye-Kit/p/134148

Play doh not play ๐Ÿ•

considerateMoon9060 August 3rd, 2022

One fgift per person us how that's supposed to be

Chrissy9419 OP August 4th, 2022

Thank you to everyone that has gave me some great ideas!!!!!! And for all the support!!!โค๏ธ

monkeytoes54 September 5th, 2022

There have been birthdays where all I could afford was a outlet plug. Yes an outlet plug was the best gift I could get my kid. Granted my child was into gaming at the time. So it seemed like a practical gift. But even when I can afford to buy them THINGS they still prefer to be around the people who love them most. It's am awful feeling to think you've failed as a parent because of lack of funds. Of anything I've learned that buying them things doesn't make them happy or feel loved. It's the quality time and conversations they appreciate the most.

Yourstrulylistener9927 September 5th, 2022

We should not consider happiness only through materialistic things. Make your daughter feel like your love and support is still there with her and that she should not fully depend on materialistic things. If you will feel that you have let her down then she will feel this too. Be strong enough to he happy with what you guys have. It's difficult but i see you as a strong person and I know you will make it up.

HurtingButOkay September 5th, 2022

@Chrissy9419 honey, just let her know how much you love her. Be sure you ask her how her day was, and give her what you can without exhausting yourself. Do not forget to breathe, rest when you are able