Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Old ED Triggered

wittyBlueberry9954 January 21st

Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum, but I've used 7Cups for a while. I'm going through a really challenging moment in my life. My partner of 4.5 years who I thought I was in a committed relationship with (on the verge of trying for a baby; he's mid 30s and I'm reaching late 30s) unexpectedly told me he is not sure he wants to continue our relationship.

I haven't had real struggles with ED for quite a few years now; last time it was bad was probably 2018. 

The situation right now, and my seeming lack of control, is really triggering me. I'm feeling a lot of anxiety, which is zapping my appetite.. but I'm also finding that I'm feeling comfort in not eating and having some control over this. Part of it also comes down to the fact that we normally eat together; now I'm not preparing food and caring for him and our relationship in this way, I am also not caring for myself by eating properly...

I'm feeling so not myself. I'm unable to enjoy things that I typically enjoy (creative things, time with friends, cooking, etc.). I am on anti-anxiety meds. Had a bit of a breakdown a week ago..

Just in a very rough spot. :( I don't really know what I want from this post.. I guess just to share what's happening and be honest about the ED struggle putting its head up again.

KristenHR January 22nd

@wittyBlueberry9954

I'm really glad you're here.  It's tough when you're feeling distressed over the potential loss of your relationship.  Emotions that are distressing can many times create a situation which kicks up the symptoms of eating disorders.

It's important to consider putting into practice the things that really helped you find recovery from your eating disorder back in 2018.  What did you find helped you to eat regularly then?  What comforted you when you had distressing emotions then?  What do you lose if you stop eating regularly?

Remember, you haven't lost the skills and resources you gained with recovery, this is just a really tough spot.  Try hard to fight for you right now and choose what works for you to stay in recovery.  You are worth the effort and fight.