Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Family member with ED

purpleSky5790 October 12th, 2020

My little sister has an ED and all I want is to help her, I'm having trouble focusing at work because all I can think is something bad happening to her and I wouldn't have anything without her. What can I say to her without making anything worse for her?

TheMadHatterWasHere October 12th, 2020

@purpleSky5790 Support her eating more and be there for her. That's the most importent things. And don't judge her. Don't tell her to eat more. Don't tell her she is eating too little, bc it doesn't help. But try to talk her into seeing a therapist if she doesn't already heart

purpleSky5790 OP October 19th, 2020

@TheMadHatterWasHere She is seeing a therapist now, me and my family are being very supportive of her and I'm just hoping to see her do better by her own accord.

IamblessedSue October 17th, 2020

@purpleSky5790 The main thing that you can do for here is support her. Encourage here she can make it through this, if she is saying I am so ugly I need to lose weight you need to reverse your response to no you aren't you are beautiful. Lots of positive affirmations. Do your parent's know? If they do not know you need to reach out to them and tell them. She needs to get help if she is not getting help yet. If you check the internet there are many resouces on helping a family member with an eating disorder.

purpleSky5790 OP October 19th, 2020

@IamblessedSue My parents know, and she is seeing a therapist and a dietician, I've been reading up on it in hopes of understanding better. I just hate to see her hurt. I'm older than her and live on my own so it's hard not to feel guilty for not always being by her side. I'm just being as supportive as I can.

Iamelsa November 7th, 2020

@purpleSky5790

I am in avery similar situation right now actually. My sister has an ED as well and I am probably not perfect about but I'm trying not to push her to eat because my parents already do that so I just ask her if she wants to try my food and share it with her if she wants to. She is already in theraphy and stuff and she is already getting a little better but it really effects her mood often so I try to be calm and nice whenever I can so I don't make things any harder. It's important for me not to be the one that's pushing her to do things so I just try to treat her normal but share a little more I guess and that's works pretty good even though I'm not fully aware what's going on in her health life.

Oh and don't be critical about her body or the way she eats but I guess that's obvious.

talkswithariba November 15th, 2020

@purpleSky5790

I hope you and your sister are doing well. Like everyone said, support her. Family-based treatments can be really helpful, and she would need you at thought times like these. You could consider getting her involved in activities that involve food, like baking or some guess the food while blindfolded kind of activities. Maybe that could help!

understandingOcean8592 December 28th, 2022

My oldest sister is not eating and im so mad at her . I want to help her but she doesn't want to help herself . All i can do is act like nothing is going on and be happy and there for her when im so so so so frustrated ! I know i shouldnt detach myself from her because she is going to think im mad at her but i am . I feel sad and lonely and frustrated its just so unfair . She does this as a coping mechanism to stress and she has talked to my mom about it . It is just so sad i want to cry all the time . And she doesn't ever look like she is sick . Its not even that bad . Im afraid she is going to get worse and i wont be able to do anything then .

Most of all i im mad because i could have done the same but i thought of my family and friends and i am only 14 . I feel so sad

Is there a therapist that can help me lol