Community /

Eating Disorder Support

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Self-Care Challenge
by KristenHR
Last post
September 19th
...See more Self-care is a necessary part of recovery, though it has many, many ways to being done.  A lot of times people think that self-care needs to have time set aside that we spend an hour or a day just to do self-care.  I'm here today to challenge you to do self-care this week and to challenge your thinking on what self-care is! Self-care is a conscious act people take to promote their physical, mental, spiritual and emotional health. It can be something that is done in as short as 5 - 10 minutes or as long as a week.  It can be something done regularly or something done randomly.  It can be an old faithful activity, or something that you've never tried before. Let's discuss self-care for a bit. When you think about self-care in recovery, what comes to mind for you? What kinds of things do you do for your self-care that you find helps and works for you that others might find helpful, and how much time do you spend doing it? How did you decide which things to do for your self-care?  Did anyone help you get started? What is one thing this week that you could do for you that would be beneficial to your recovery that is taking care of you, and just being kind to you in the form of self-care? Please join me in discussing this and let's share how we utilize self-care in our recovery from eating disorders and other life challenges. Kristen
Introducing... Eating Disorder Care Package
by ASilentObserver
Last post
September 5th
...See more We are excited to announce a new initiative: Small Steps and Support Care Package for individuals on their journey to recovery from eating disorders. This care package is filled with handpicked information and resources aimed at promoting self-care, mindfulness, and encouragement. They're not a replacement for professional treatment, but a small token of support to let someone know they're not alone and their journey is recognized.  What's included? * Coping Skills  * Relapse Prevention Plan * Steps to take care of yourself * Various resources and links You can view/ download the Eating Disorder Care Package here [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MnhQnwjxpFnJ3aiK0j9d5OAE1eK7epEX/view?usp=drive_link] Feel free to bookmark, or share it with anyone who might need it. Your care and support would make a difference in someone's recovery journey!  @heather225 @KristenHR @dancat1128
Eating Disorder Support Automated Taglist - New
by theriverissinging
Last post
August 4th
...See more This thread controls an auto-updating taglist. To see the current list, go to Eating Disorder Support Taglist [https://rarelycharlie.github.io/taglist?30c2f12674c3d76b794a13ccbe111c5a]. To add yourself to this taglist, press the Reply button in this post and write the exact words “Please add me.” To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Reply button in this post and write the exact words, “Please remove me.” Taglist to be used for check-ins, discussions, events and announcements. ------------------------- we'll be compiling the latest taglist through a process outlined here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/siteupdates/SuggestionsandProblemSolving_383/TeaCakeCompilingautomatedtaglists_291762/] every time we make a post.
Friends & Family - How to Respond
by KristenHR
Last post
March 6th
...See more How Friends & Family Can Respond Many times it's difficult to know how to respond to the person you know with an eating disorder.  There are things that we can say that help and things we can say that hinders and can really trigger someone.  Let's look at these factors on how to respond to someone with an eating disorder when we have concerns or we want to be supportive. What to Say to be Supportive * What is validating and encouraging for individuals to hear when they are struggling to eat or struggling to stop the binge or purge cycle? * What is validating for an individual who is struggling with an eating disorder when you see there is something to acknowledge is difficult or successful? * How can we be as supportive as possible for the individual who is struggling? It can be helpful to ask the individual how to support them best. Eating disorders obviously focus on food and for most, body image, but is much deeper than this.  Understanding what other issues are going on is important, as much as they are willing to discuss with you. What Not to Say * What would be triggering to an individual with an eating disorder that would perpetuate the eating disorder? * What comments are not meant to be hurtful but are hurtful to someone with an eating disorder? * How can making a statement about someone's body impact their eating disorder? It's important to know that telling someone that they have gained or lost weight as well as commenting on someone's body shape can be very triggering to someone with an eating disorder.  It's not just necessarily having difficulty with feelings, but can actually be taken as confirmation of their eating disorder behavior or that they need to increase their eating disorder behavior. Avoiding commenting on how much or little someone with an eating disorder is eating is important.  If they are under the care of a professional, they likely have a meal plan.  Unless you are part of their care team, you may not be privy to what their meal plan is and how much they are supposed to eat or what they are to eat and why at this time they should be eating.  If you are part of their care team, being aware of how to share encouragement or challenges if they aren't eating according to their meal plan. For those of you who have an eating disorder, please share what is helpful and not helpful to say.  Please share why it is or isn't helpful so that our loved ones can understand better about communicating concerns and help. What are your thoughts?
Partner with eating disorder
by k8tyh89
Last post
July 8th, 2023
...See more I am living with my partner with an ED and I can’t even tell you how hard it is to watch your loved one suffer and there is nothing you can do. It’s so hard to be that strong person when you are suffering mentally yourself. I have reached out to get some help and support for myself but unfortunately due to the area I seem to be in there isn’t much available at all. I find that by just talking to someone who is going through similar to what you are would make a massive difference so please in anyone out there needs a friend, needs to talk when it’s a bad day please feel free to reach out. Eating disorders are very isolating for all involved so please don’t feel alone
Family member with ED
by purpleSky5790
Last post
December 28th, 2022
...See more My little sister has an ED and all I want is to help her, I'm having trouble focusing at work because all I can think is something bad happening to her and I wouldn't have anything without her. What can I say to her without making anything worse for her?
Tips for helping a loved one with a Eating Disorder
by Hope
Last post
September 10th, 2022
...See more I recently made a forum post asking for suggestions of what posts would like to be seen in this community. Someone suggested this topic and i think it is a good one. So in this post i would like to discuss some tips and strategies for helping a person dealing Eating disorder. Warning signs of eating disorders Many people worry about their weight, what they eat, and how they look. This is especially true for teenagers and young adults, who face extra pressure to fit in and look attractive at a time when their bodies are changing. As a result, it can be challenging to tell the difference between an eating disorder and normal self-consciousness, weight concerns, or dieting. Further complicating matters, people with eating disorders will often go to great lengths to hide the problem. However, there are warning signs you can watch for. And as eating disorders progress, the red flags become easier to spot. -Restricting food or dieting -Making excuses to avoid meals or situations involving food (e.g. he or she had a big meal earlier, isnt hungry, or has an upset stomach) -Eating only tiny portions or specific low-calorie foods, and often banning entire categories of food such as carbs and dietary fat -Obsessively counting calories, reading food labels, and weighing portions -Developing restrictive food rituals (e.g. eating foods in certain orders, rearranging food on a plate, excessive cutting or chewing) -Binging -Unexplained disappearance of large amounts of food in short periods of time -Lots of empty food packages and wrappers (often hidden at the bottom of the trash) -Hoarding and hiding stashes of high-calorie foods such as junk food and sweets -Secrecy and isolation, may eat normally around others, only to binge late at night or in a private spot where they wont be discovered or disturbed -Purging -Disappearing right after a meal or making frequent trips to the bathroom -Showering, bathing, or running water after eating (to hide the sound of purging) -Using excessive amounts of mouthwash, breath mints, or perfume (to disguise the smell of vomiting) -Taking laxatives, diuretics, or enemas -Periods of fasting or compulsive, intense exercising, especially after eating -Frequent complaints of sore throat, upset stomach, diarrhea, or constipation -Discolored teeth -Distorted body image and altered appearance -Extreme preoccupation with body or weight (e.g. constant weigh-ins, spending lots of time in front of the mirror inspecting and criticizing his or her body) -Significant weight loss, rapid weight gain, or constantly fluctuating weight -Frequent comments about feeling fat or overweight, or about a fear of gaining weight -Wearing baggy clothes or multiple layers (can be an attempt to hide weight) What you can do If you notice the warning signs of an eating disorder in a friend or family member, its important to speak up. But that doesnt mean its easy. The very idea can seem overwhelming. You may be afraid that youre mistaken, or that youll say the wrong thing, or you might alienate the person. However, its important that you dont let these worries stop you from voicing your concerns. People with eating disorders are often afraid to ask for help. Some are struggling just as much as you are to find a way to start a conversation about their problem, while others have such low self-esteem they simply dont feel that they deserve any help. Whatever the case, eating disorders will only get worse without treatment, and the physical and emotional damage can be severe. The sooner you start to help a loved one, the better their chances of recovery. Tips for talking to someone about an eating disorder Set the conversation up for success. Choose a time when you can speak to the person in private without distractions or constraints. You dont want to have to stop in the middle of the conversation because of other obligations! Its also important to have the conversation at a time of emotional calm. Dont try to have this conversation right after a blow up. Explain why youre concerned. Be careful to avoid lecturing or criticizing, as this will only make your friend or family member defensive. Instead, refer to specific situations and behaviors youve noticed, and why they worry you. Your goal at this point is not to offer solutions, but to express your concerns about the persons health, how you much you love him or her, and your desire to help. Be prepared for denial and resistance. Theres a good chance your loved one may deny having an eating disorder or become angry and defensive. If this happens, try to remain calm, focused, and respectful. Remember that this conversation likely feels very threatening to him or her. Dont take it personally. Be patient and supportive. Dont give up if the person shuts you down at first. It may take some time before your loved one is willing to open up and admit to having a problem. The important thing is opening up the lines of communication. Make it clear that you care, that you believe in them, and that youll be there in whatever way they need whenever theyre ready. What not to do Avoid ultimatums. Unless youre dealing with an underage child, you cant force someone into treatment. The decision to change must come from them. Ultimatums merely add pressure and promote more secrecy and denial. Avoid commenting on appearance or weight. People with eating disorders are already overly focused on their bodies. Even assurances that theyre not fat play into their preoccupation with being thin. Instead, steer the conversation to their feelings. Why are they afraid of being fat? What do they think theyll achieve by being thin? Avoid shaming and blaming. Steer clear of accusatory you statements like, You just need to eat! Or, Youre hurting yourself for no reason. Use I statements instead. For example: Its hard for me to watch you wasting away. Or, It scares me when I hear you throwing up. Avoid giving simple solutions. For example, "All you have to do is accept yourself." Eating disorders are complex problems. If it were that easy, your loved one wouldnt be suffering. Dealing with eating disorders in the home As a parent/partner/sibling/friend there are many things you can do to support your loved one's eating disorder recovery—even if he or she is still resisting treatment. Set a positive example. Make it a point to model healthy behaviors. You have more influence than you think! Instead of dieting, eat nutritious, balanced meals. Be mindful about how you talk about your body and your eating. Avoid self-critical remarks or negative comments about others appearance. Instead, focus on the qualities on the inside that really make a person attractive. Make mealtimes fun. Try to eat together as a family as often as possible. Even if your loved one isnt willing to eat the food youve prepared, encourage him or her to join you at the table. Use this time together to enjoy each others company, rather than talking about problems. Meals are also a good opportunity to show your loved one that food is something to be enjoyed rather than feared. Avoid power struggles over food Attempts to force your child to eat will only cause conflict and bad feelings. And it will likely lead to more secrecy and lying. That doesnt mean you cant set limits or hold your child accountable for their behavior. But dont act like the food police, constantly monitor your childs behavior, or lose your cool or engage in fights. promote self-esteem in your child in intellectual, athletic, and social endeavors. Give boys and girls the same opportunities and encouragement. A well-rounded sense of self and solid self-esteem are perhaps the best antidotes to disordered eating. Dont blame yourself. Parents often feel they must take on responsibility for the eating disorder, which is something they truly have no control over. Once you can accept that the eating disorder is not anyone's fault, you can be freed to take action that is honest and not clouded by what you "should" or "could" have done. Supporting a loved one's recovery Recovering from an eating disorder takes time. There are no quick fixes or miracle cures, so its important to have patience and compassion. Dont put unnecessary pressure on your loved one by setting unrealistic goals or demanding progress on your own timetable. Provide hope and encouragement, praise each small step forward, and stay positive through struggles and setbacks. Learn about eating disorders. Educate yourself about eating disorders and their treatment. The more you know, the better equipped youll be to help your loved one, avoid pitfalls, and cope with challenges. You can learn about them here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/EatingDisordersSupportCommunity_54/EatingDisordersSupport_32/EatingDisordersAwarenessCopingStrategies_57675/] Listen without judgment. Show that you care by asking about your loved ones feelings and concerns—and then truly listening. Resist the urge to advise or criticize. Let them feel heard. Even if you dont understand what he or she is going through, its important to validate your loved ones feelings. Be mindful of triggers. Avoid discussions about food, weight, eating or making negative statements about your own body or your eating habits. But dont be afraid to eat normally in front of your loved one. It can help set an example of a healthy relationship with food. Take care of yourself. Dont become so preoccupied with your loved ones eating disorder that you neglect your own needs. Make sure you have your own support, so you can provide it in turn. Whether that support comes from a trusted friend, a support group, or your own therapy sessions, what matters is that you have an outlet to talk about your feelings and to emotionally recharge. Its also important to schedule time into your day for de-stressing, relaxing, and doing things you enjoy. Thank you all for reading. if you would like to share any tips then feel free to by replying to this post.
15 pregnant and I think she has an ED
by UnicornRainbows7
Last post
February 25th, 2022
...See more I once had an eating disorder and have a family member I believe has an eating disorder. I thought so before but wasn't around her enough. Recently she moved into my house with some other family. She is now pregnant and I think she's using the nausea and such as a way to not eat and use other behaviors. Has anyone experienced a pregnant relative or friend that dealt with an eating disorder? Or maybe you are that person. Helping a pregnant 15 year old is different than me who had pretty much only known an eating disorder.
Learning to help my loved one
by Lintspace
Last post
April 26th, 2021
...See more Hello. I’m new here. I’m looking for support on how to better educate myself on how to support my wife who suffers from bulimia nervosa. She has been struggling with this disorder for many years and has tried many treatments. But so far nothing has helped her recover. I spend lots of time online trying to educate myself on this disorder and what I can do to best support her. But it’s all just academic. And I feel like a fraud trying to give advice on something I don’t personally understand. I welcome any suggestions or emotional support. It’s very hard seeing someone you love suffer like this and not know how you can help them. I love her deeply and want to do whatever is within my power to help. The most difficult factor is we live in different countries at then moment, so I am physically not there for her. And I’m certain this causes more anxiety than I can imagine. So, hello. I hope to find some support here. Maybe 🙏🏼
My beloved wife suffers from ED
by Lintspace
Last post
April 15th, 2021
...See more Hello all. My amazing wife has struggled with bulimia nervosa for 4 years. Everyday it’s a battle. She has tried many treatments but nothing has helped so far. I try hard to educate myself on what I can do to best help her though this. But unfortunately we live in different countries for now, so it’s really hard to physically be there for her. I am loving, thoughtful, empathetic, understanding, and very optimistic. I’m quite experienced in personal growth with 16 years of sobriety. I want to help, I want to offer advice, but I’m scared that I don’t really know what I’m talking about. Or that my suggestion is the best for her. I feel like I need to reach out to communities who have been where I am for advice, resources, and support. I am committed to being there with my wife 100%. It’s also very difficult trying to balance my needs with her needs. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and it has led to my own anxiety. Anyway. Thanks for your time and concern
Advice for coping with partner with severe Bulimia.
by AleksNZ
Last post
May 8th, 2020
...See more Rots se the title if it comes off rude, just tried to nutshell it for a title. I (M/22) have been dating and living with my partner (F/19) who has been suffering from bulimia for the past 3 years, and prior to that, recovered from severe anorexia through her teenage life. We talk freely with each other about it so there is little awkwardness, or secrecy between us in dealing with her mental health, but it has been growing a toll on my anxiety the more it goes on. We live in New Zealand and we just had a 4 week lockdown due to COVID19, so we were at home together off work for a month and she was about 3 weeks clean, in a good routine, keeping away from the shower after meals and only having a shower as soon as she woke up before food to prevent a purge after lunch or dinner. I just returned to work this evening in hospitality and we had a good day together, before I left I double checked her mood and asked if there were any risk foods in the house I should pop away to be safe and she said no and left in good spirits. I return after my shift to find she had binged and purged as soon as I left for work and she was heartbroken and frustrated, letting herself and in her own words me down by relapsing. I told her this isn't the case and we talked, but I am growing anxious to leave her alone now I'm back working.. I know I can't do anything or blame myself here, i guess I just need someone to talk to, if anyone else is going through helping someone as well and can give some advice
friend who maybe has ed?
by username1232323
Last post
February 10th, 2020
...See more I am friends with someone who I suspect has an eating disorder or used to have one. He is very skinny and never eats and one time after eating half a slice of pizza he was then in the bathroom for 45 minutes and his friend went in with him. I was not very good friends with him at the time but it seemed like everyone else knew what was going on with him. Can anyone give me any tips on how to support him with this issue?
I Just Want My Friend To Be OK
by peppergirl
Last post
March 12th, 2019
...See more I don't have the disorder, but I think my friend might. I'll call him L for the purpose of writing this, and we're both teens. L admitted to me that he eats almost a meal a day despite us both being on the track team as sprinters of all things. He looks like someone wrapped a thin layer of skin over a chicken bone, and L says he's just not hungry most of the time. I know there's nothing wrong with that, but he's just so skinny and I don't want him getting hurt or not reaching his potential. Any advice?
I want to help my friend
by projectSoul
Last post
March 10th, 2019
...See more My friend is suffering with the starting of an eating disorder, and it‘s only getting worse. I have recommended her to the school counselor 3 or 4 times and tried to get her to talk to someone, but she refuses. I have even referred her here. How can I help her?
How to help my little sister who has an eating disorder?
by etherealsunflower
Last post
February 8th, 2019
...See more My little sister is 11 years old and I believe she has an eating disorder. She has been eating less and less since August/September and has lost [weight edited by 24Help1] pounds in 4 months. She won't eat meat and will only eat salad for lunch/dinner and cereal for breakfast. She's very moody and aggressive when I try to talk to her and she isn't usually like this. She gets defensive and angry when I try to get her to eat more. My little sister used to eat so much and especially loved meat! Now she won't even touch meat and will push it to the side of her plate. She only eats a quarter of what she used to. She watches food ASMR to satisfy her hunger and every time she looks in the mirror, she lifts up her shirt to look at her stomach and says she is fat (when she is not). Whenever I change my clothes, she always looks at my body (she might be comparing?). A lot of her friends are really skinny so I think by being with them, she might've gotten the idea that she must be skinny like them. She is so pale and thin that it's scary and I am so terrified for her. I want to help her so badly but whenever I try to talk to her or show my support for her she pushes me away. I can't get through to her. How can I help my little sister? I want to help her so badly!!

Eating Disorder Support

Welcome to Eating Disorder Support! We are welcoming you with open arms and hope to be part of your recovery journey. All are welcome to participate, whether you are a family member watching a loved one struggling or struggling yourself. 

What are the different forum topics for Eating Disorder Support?

Anorexia Nervosa Support: A place for you to discuss issues relating to Anorexia Nervosa. 

Binge Eating Disorder Support: A place for you to discuss issues relating to Binge Eating.

Bulimia Support: A place for you to discuss issues relating to Bulimia.

Discussions & Check-ins: A place for general discussions and regular community check-ins.

General Support: Need any other support that doesn’t fit within another topic? Post it here!

Family and Friends of Individuals with Eating Disorders: Watching a loved on struggle with an Eating Disorder? Discuss it here.

Introductions, Fun & Games: A place to introduce yourself and take part in a variety of fun, games and icebreakers.

Recovery & Moving On: Recovering from an Eating Disorder? Share your story here!

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

Eating Disorder FAQ

Q: Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

A: You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Help! I still have a question! 

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Community Guidelines

The following are some guidelines specific to the Eating Disorder Sub-Community that we request you to follow along with the general Forum Guidelines. The purpose of these guidelines is to ensure a safe and supportive space for everyone, within this sub-community.

• Refrain from mentioning specific weights or calorie counts to avoid triggering others.
  • Remember this is a support community - we should all be supportive of each other’s stories and struggles.
  • Everyone’s struggles are different; please avoid encouraging anyone to lose or gain weight.
  • Avoid overly graphic content and mark potentially sensitive posts with a ‘Trigger Warning’ at the top line of the post.
  • Pro-eating disorder content will not be tolerated.
Community Leaders
Community Mentor / Teen Community Star