Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is it wrong to use outside examples?

ErwineRommel July 2nd, 2017

My mom is upset with me and keeps telling me what I'm doing is unhealthy, but my therapist doesn't agree. She tells me that using outside examples is childish. Of course, none of this interferes with my work or school, and I never use it for negative purposes. I also don't use these examples unless I'm extremely stressed. Who's right here?

Clarification: For example, if I feel anxious about eating, seeing a Pokémon or anime character makes me feel less anxious (as compared to a politician). Also, I have positive examples of people who succeeded who aren't the same body type as I am (e.g. Sonia Sotomayor, Mark Cuban, and Henry Ford). My logic is that if they can be successful, so can I.

Hope July 7th, 2017

Hey, @ErwineRommel! From what I understand, your use of these examples is having no negative effect on you and your therapist seems to be fine with it. In that case to me it doesn't seem wrong but what really matters is how you view it. Do you think these examples have helped you in a positive manner?

ErwineRommel OP July 8th, 2017

@Hope My boyfriend and my psychiatrist are both fine with it; in fact, my psychiatrist was surprised that my mom thinks having positive role models is immature.

It's been effective for me too. I've been able to sever the association of skininess with success. Mark Cuban (not the most compassionate person out there) doesn't exactly have a thigh gap, but he's a multibillionaire.