Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Fear Foods

girl3132 September 9th, 2015

How to win the battle to the food we fear to eat and make us feel crazy? Any ideas or experiences you want to share? Thank you

September 10th, 2015

What kind of fear do you have, can you tell us more ?

girl3132 OP September 11th, 2015

They are certain foods that I can't eat because they freak me out.

Anomalia September 11th, 2015

@girl3132 - Fear foods can be tough to get over. I think the key is being ambitious, but not overly so. So pick a day of the week (maybe Fear Food Friday) and have a new fear food each week. It doesn't have to be a ton, it can just be a small portion, but make yourself stick to it.

It sometimes helped me to think about it in terms of other foods that felt safer. So if I was afraid of soda, for instance, I would tell myself that X ounces of soda is the same number of calories and sugar as X ounces of juice, which I was okay drinking. That made it easier to feel safer because I knew that nothing terrible happened when I had the comparison food.

Hope that helps! Please let us know as you have fear food victories! :)

girl3132 OP September 11th, 2015

Thank you very much for your help. I'm very motivated to try your plan! <3

moonbaby9574 September 17th, 2015

I would definitely recommend trying in really small portions, that's how I do it, and then I feel okay about it. I work in an office where there are huge bowls of candy sitting in the reception area and it drives me insane and has led me to binge in the middle of work. Now I try to allow myself 1 mini piece of candy a week, no more or less, and I can eat it without freaking out and then I'm proud of myself that I'm not losing it over a Hershey's kiss

girl3132 OP September 17th, 2015

Thank you <3

Celaeno January 30th, 2016

Hi @girl3132! You've wrote this post some time ago, but I realize that we share a similar fear about food. I also have problems with eating certain things. I am not a professional in any way, but it sounds to me that your struggle can be in some way linked to selective eating disorder (SED).

Again, I am not professional, just a fellow member ^^; I thought that maybe this information is something which will help you. If you want to learn more about it and to just receive support on this subject, there is a community thread on SED. Maybe that is something which will interest you.

All the best, lovely!