Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Why can't I stop?

coffeelover1218 April 16th, 2016

I can't stop eating. I portion out my food, take pills that are supposed to supress appetite and make you feel fuller faster, and drink a TON of water...but I still can't stop. I always end up going back to the kitchen to get more food...always chocolate, nuts, or sunbutter. I hate myself so much afterwards. No matter how hard I try I can't stop. I want so badly to lose weight and everytime I start to make progress my binging gets me off track again.

I am so fucking stupid. I am so fucking worthless. No one will ever fall in love with someone like me.

Veronicasmommy April 17th, 2016

@coffeelover1218 I feel you. I used to not be able to fall asleep at night without binging. I needed to be full in order to relax. It controlled my life. Let me know if you want to talk more.

BestIcanbe April 16th, 2016

@coffeelover1218

Hey there :)

I just wanted you to know you're not alone. The more I try to control my eating, the more obsessed I become with food, and the more I eat! For me, one way to conquer it is not to have the food in. I've not eaten chocolate this month (is it really only the 16th šŸ˜), because I've just not bought it. I'm also just trying to stay on track every day, just for that day. And if I fall down, I get straight back up. No bingeing because I think I've wrecked it, but no guilt either. I can't change what I've done up to now, but I can change what I do going forward.

But, you know, maybe the most important thing is to realise you're worth this. You deserve to be happy and healthy. You deserve to treat yourself well. Whatever's gone on in the past, the future is in your hands - make it a good one sweetheart.

coffeelover1218 OP April 17th, 2016

I did it again. Why why why why why.

im such a fucking piece of shit

delightfulOasis62 April 17th, 2016

@coffeelover1218 you're certainly not a piece of shit !

AdVictoriam April 18th, 2016

@coffeelover1218

Two things that can help!

The first is to rewire the binge-eating habit.

Charles Duhigg talks about habits and automatic actions and how by rewiring your brain to take another action, you can cut down on your habit of grazing / eating in a binge way.

Here is an NPR article and here is a TED Talk talking about how habits matter

The second is to stop automatic negative thoughts (called ANTs)

Here is a quick article about ANTs. Sometimes knowing that these exist is helpful in then pausing before blaming yourself for "failures" and thinking of them as temporary setbacks rather than permanent failures.

Sending you TONS of love and support <3

- xx, AdVictoriam