Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hiding food.

August 9th

After my father almost passed away from a horrible accident last year, I was scared and started hiding food to help me to be okay with how I was feeling and now I can't stop hiding food from everyone and binge eating. I feel that something is wrong with me. 

toughTiger6481 August 11th

@Ballerinahiphopgirl

we can do things when scared and although we can quickly develop a habit ... we continue to think the things that may have helped us through a tough time will continue to comfort us but as you have realized the reasons have changed  and it is not the same.

I think as with most things acknowledging it is step one so congratulations on seeing it is something you should work on. 

August 11th

@toughTiger6481 Thank you so much. 

Callow August 11th

@Ballerinahiphopgirl

I can really feel your pain and confusion right now. It's hard not to feel scared and uneasy after such a terrible event. You may be hiding food and overeating because you are trying to deal with your inner anxiety and feeling out of control in this way. Don't blame yourself, this is a coping mechanism you adopt when you are experiencing great stress.

But now that you have realized that these behaviors are causing you trouble, it may be time to seek help. Try to talk about your feelings with someone you trust, or find a professional counselor who can help you better understand and cope with these emotions.

Remember that you are not alone, and there are many people who are willing to support you. You have the power to get out of this difficult situation and find healthier ways to cope with these emotions. Give yourself some time and patience, don't rush to change, and take it step by step.

KristenHR August 12th

@Ballerinahiphopgirl

It sounds like you are really hurting.  Sometimes we have reactions to loss that at the moment make sense and then they become a problem for us.

Do you have anyone in your life that feels safe that you could share with if you thought you wanted to?

I'm really glad you posted.  You're certainly not alone in struggling with hiding food and binging.  Many people struggle with binging.