Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Body Image is Impossible

gecko1287 May 29th, 2023

I'm in recovery and I've done a great job of reducing the physical binge eating habits and I have an objectively healthy relationship with food, I don't restrict anything anymore and I'm great at everything in moderation. What I really struggle with is my body image. In healing my relationship with food, I gained a lot of weight, and my relationship to my body somehow got even worse. I'm in a debilitating depression and I have trouble going outside and I procrastinate all my responsibilities. My body image is a mess.

How did you guys actually come to love or accept your bodies? I am working so hard to do it but it feels impossible.

Mya000 June 3rd, 2023

@gecko1287

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing such difficulties with body image and the impact it's having on your well-being. It's important to remember that body acceptance and self-love can be challenging journeys, and they may take time and patience.

First and foremost, it's crucial to surround yourself with positive influences and support systems. Seek out individuals or communities that promote body positivity and self-acceptance. Engaging with their stories, perspectives, and affirmations can help shift your mindset and provide inspiration.

Practice self-compassion and challenge negative self-talk, treat yourself with kindness and understanding, acknowledging that your worth is not solely determined by your appearance. Focus on the aspects of yourself that you appreciate and value beyond physical appearance.

You can engage in activities that promote self-care and body appreciation. This can include activities such as mindfulness exercises, journaling, engaging in hobbies you enjoy, and engaging in physical activities that make you feel good. Nourish your body with foods that make you feel energized and fulfilled, emphasizing overall well-being rather than restrictive or punitive measures.

Consider seeking professional support from a therapist or counsellor who specializes in body image issues or eating disorders. They can provide guidance, techniques, and support tailored to your specific needs. Therapy can be a valuable tool in working through negative body image and building a healthier relationship with yourself.

Remember, healing is a process, and everyone's journey is unique. Be patient and kind to yourself as you navigate through these challenges. With time, self-reflection, and support, it is possible to develop a more positive and accepting relationship with your body.