Community /

Eating Disorder Support

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Self-Care Challenge
by KristenHR
Last post
September 19th
...See more Self-care is a necessary part of recovery, though it has many, many ways to being done.  A lot of times people think that self-care needs to have time set aside that we spend an hour or a day just to do self-care.  I'm here today to challenge you to do self-care this week and to challenge your thinking on what self-care is! Self-care is a conscious act people take to promote their physical, mental, spiritual and emotional health. It can be something that is done in as short as 5 - 10 minutes or as long as a week.  It can be something done regularly or something done randomly.  It can be an old faithful activity, or something that you've never tried before. Let's discuss self-care for a bit. When you think about self-care in recovery, what comes to mind for you? What kinds of things do you do for your self-care that you find helps and works for you that others might find helpful, and how much time do you spend doing it? How did you decide which things to do for your self-care?  Did anyone help you get started? What is one thing this week that you could do for you that would be beneficial to your recovery that is taking care of you, and just being kind to you in the form of self-care? Please join me in discussing this and let's share how we utilize self-care in our recovery from eating disorders and other life challenges. Kristen
Introducing... Eating Disorder Care Package
by ASilentObserver
Last post
September 5th
...See more We are excited to announce a new initiative: Small Steps and Support Care Package for individuals on their journey to recovery from eating disorders. This care package is filled with handpicked information and resources aimed at promoting self-care, mindfulness, and encouragement. They're not a replacement for professional treatment, but a small token of support to let someone know they're not alone and their journey is recognized.  What's included? * Coping Skills  * Relapse Prevention Plan * Steps to take care of yourself * Various resources and links You can view/ download the Eating Disorder Care Package here [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MnhQnwjxpFnJ3aiK0j9d5OAE1eK7epEX/view?usp=drive_link] Feel free to bookmark, or share it with anyone who might need it. Your care and support would make a difference in someone's recovery journey!  @heather225 @KristenHR @dancat1128
Eating Disorder Support Automated Taglist - New
by theriverissinging
Last post
August 4th
...See more This thread controls an auto-updating taglist. To see the current list, go to Eating Disorder Support Taglist [https://rarelycharlie.github.io/taglist?30c2f12674c3d76b794a13ccbe111c5a]. To add yourself to this taglist, press the Reply button in this post and write the exact words “Please add me.” To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Reply button in this post and write the exact words, “Please remove me.” Taglist to be used for check-ins, discussions, events and announcements. ------------------------- we'll be compiling the latest taglist through a process outlined here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/siteupdates/SuggestionsandProblemSolving_383/TeaCakeCompilingautomatedtaglists_291762/] every time we make a post.
Hiding food.
by
Last post
August 12th
...See more After my father almost passed away from a horrible accident last year, I was scared and started hiding food to help me to be okay with how I was feeling and now I can't stop hiding food from everyone and binge eating. I feel that something is wrong with me. 
Podcast, conversations, etc
by Colo820
Last post
May 30th
...See more Hi! I'm currently struggling with binge eating, I've already gained <edit> (<edit> lbs i think) and I really think that it would really help me to hear other people talk about that. I don't really know why or how but maybe by just normalising it and accepting that it is a problem, etc, i guess. But yes, I don't really know.  If you know any I would be really happy if you could share it with me. Thank you very much!!
Binge Eating
by KristenHR
Last post
May 24th
...See more Binge Eating seems to have a lot of shame around it.  People sometimes think that binge eating can just be controlled by stopping eating so much.  If this were true, there wouldn't be a need for treatment for it.  Common symptoms of Binge Eating disorder per NEDA [https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/warning-signs-and-symptoms/] are: * Engages in episodes of binge eating large amounts of food in a short period of time, often in secret (eating in a discrete period of time an amount of food that is much larger than most individuals would eat under similar circumstances) * Feels lack of control over ability to stop eating * Experiences shame, guilt and despair after binge-eating episodes * Steals or hoards food in strange places * Creates lifestyle schedules or rituals to make time for binge sessions * Disruption in normal eating behaviors, including eating throughout the day with no planned mealtimes; skipping meals or taking small portions of food at regular meals; engaging in sporadic fasting or repetitive dieting Here is a screening tool [https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/screening-tool/] to see if you may have an eating disorder.  There are treatment programs that do focus on Binge Eating Disorder, though most treatment programs put all eating disorders together because most eating disorders have various symptoms but the underlying issues are similar, and treatment is similar when dealing with underlying issues. There are some types of treatment that are used for Binge Eating. CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), which focuses on our thoughts and beliefs, which help to address what we are telling ourselves and what we believe about ourselves. DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) which focuses on helping us to cope in 4 areas - mindfulness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation and Interpersonal effectiveness.  Using the tools found in these four areas can really help to manage emotions and stabilization of emotions and even healthy relationships that may be difficult due to the eating disorder or other reasons. Binge episodes may be triggered by stress, dieting, negative feelings relating to body weight or body shape, the availability of food, or boredom, symptoms of PTSD or other symptoms.  There are many reasons that individuals develop Binge Eating, but there is a high correlation between Trauma and Binge Eating, PTSD, Substance Abuse, Depression, Anxiety, and Borderline Personality Disorder.  Not everyone develops these, but many individuals cope in many ways and show co-occurring psychiatric diagnoses with their binge eating. Some books available that you would want to determine if they are appropriate for you: Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr Christopher G. Fairburn The DBT Solution for Emotional Eating: A Proven Program to Break the Cycle of Bingeing and Out-of-Control Eating by Safer, Adler and MassonBinge Eating Disorder:  The Journey to Recovery and Beyond by Pershing and TurnerIntuitive Eating:  A Revolutionary Anti-diet Approach by Tribole and ReschCrave:  Why You Binge Eat and How to Stop by Bulik ------------------------- What thoughts or questions do you have about Binge Eating Disorder?What treatment programs have you been to that offer Binge Eating Disorder Specialized treatment programs separate from other types of eating disorders?What resources are you looking for?
Achievement
by lovingHuman5959
Last post
May 11th
...See more Yesterday i stayed up for like 4 hours not sleeping battling my mind, but i did not end up binging. Literally fought my mind so hard, was insane, ugh
i can’t stop binge eating
by notharinn
Last post
May 6th
...See more I grew up as the fat kid and in high school i decided i wanted to loose weight. and i succeeded, i underate and lost ton of weight. suddenly ppl started complimenting me and i felt pretty so i felt this pressure to keep this identity as a skinny person. i dont know when it started but i began binge eating. and as time goes, it keeps getting worse and worse. the intensity of the binges become worse and it becomes more frequent. it used to be once a month, then it became once a week, then it was once a day and now its twice a day! i dont know what to do. the thought of becoming my old fat self again terrifies me, but yet i continue to binge. will this ever stop? will i ever get better? do you guys have any suggestions on how i can recover?
i cant stop overeating
by niceOwl5018
Last post
April 21st
...See more I am obese at 17 5'2 and <edit> . I always feel bad after consuming junk food. and I carry on doing so, repeating the cycle. each day, after which I make an effort not to eat Either put it in writing why I shouldn't eat, or quit doing this, that, etc. But it's all for nothing. I just can't stress myself out to not eat whatever is available, after all, I live with my family. I've been training for the past two years, but despite this, I haven't noticed any really big changes—overeating is still a problem. I'm exhausted from these sugar and junkie cravings, and I can't stop my mind from storing them. however, if I had no money I give shoplifting a shot and then regret it. I have no idea how to stop my cravings, and none of the media's advice has ever been able to help. I feel like I'm failing myself right now, and I'm not sure what to do. Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation as me but has succeeded? If yes, tell us how you think Yaal overcame it.
Out of Control :(
by secretJar5982
Last post
January 31st
...See more this is the first time i am actually stating that i think i have a problem with binge eating. i find myself trying to share this with safe friends or my partner or my therapist, but i have never fully vocalized this truth. my partner is gone on a business trip for the next 2 weeks and has already been gone 1 week. i'm afraid how out of control i'm going to get with my eating while he's gone because i do my binging at night and sometimes with alcohol and sometimes with THC products - but always with one of the two. i used to blame my binging on any impairment that i would have from the substances, but i now think this is more about a method by which to process my stress and big emotions. i haven't given them a proper outlet, and so now i'm eating them, and numbing myself out with food and substance - in private - to escape. how do i get help for this, where do i go and what do i say? i'm.... scared.
I dunno what to name this
by NaomiF08
Last post
January 28th
...See more I don't know how to move forward. I've felt really terrible about my own body image for a long time, and i've kind of descended into a depressed slump. I kept trying to count my calories in a desperate attempt to bring my weight down but failing. I keep getting stressed about things and stress eating, and then feeling fat and disgusting. Finally, about 30 minutes ago, i did research on eating disorders, and i found two different online tests. I took them, and both said i have a severe Binge Eating Disorder. I just feel so sad and so stuck. It weighs down on me and i don't know what to do. I want to talk with my parents, but I feel so ashamed, and i don't want to hurt them. They are really kind, but we have been going through a lot lately, and I don't want to burden them with anything else. I just don't know
How do y'all deal with cravings and portion sizes? (BED)
by Michelh1996
Last post
November 27th, 2023
...See more Hi, I was wondering if there's any people with experience in dealing with cravings, portion sizes and managing this when it comes to binge eating? I have been struggling with this myself and I feel like most the time, the only way to stop a craving and move on is to give in to it. I know that even if you manage to stop one, there might be a next one to fac the next day or next week. But at least you won one fight right ;) So, yea, curious to see if anyone has tips or tricks about experience of dealing with these moments on you mind and with giving in to them, also on the level of giving in (like a bit or too much)!
Shame
by mans2388
Last post
November 19th, 2023
...See more I could use some advice... I binged tonight, so much I have a stomach ache and I still want to eat... I think I want to call in sick to work tomorrow. But why am I feeling such shame? I binged myself to calling in sick because now I have a horrible stomach ache....
Sharing my experience with developing Binge Eating
by Michelh1996
Last post
November 14th, 2023
...See more Hi, A while ago I started exercising and eating healthier to get fitter and stuff. I am really good at sticking to a rhythm so I was making great progres and it was really fun. I workout out during the week and on the weekends I did treat myself by allowing myself to get that slice of cake on an occasional birthday or eat that unhealthy thing (like nutella on bread or something delicous when we were eating out with the family). But slowly, because of all the work I put in, I started to work more towards those "cheat" moments on the weekend. Like working out and abstaining from unhealthy stuff was the way for me to get rewards later on. This lead to me putting a lot more pressure on these moments. Like: not just putting nutella or something on my bread on a cheat-moment, but putting A LOT on it. Thinking "I have to wait another week and work hard to do this again" or "I can work it of again and I deserve it". On other occasions, it got me thinking things like "I am allowed to eat something, like a donut or muffin, why not both?" Or "I ate this chocolate, might as well eat a bag of chips as well because its my cheatday and tomorrow I have to work hard again". Now rewarding doesn't always have to be bad, but it really became an obsession. Like a cycle I cannot break out of. You will see me work out, then crave that food and overeat and then feel bad about it after I buy something or while eating already. And then forcing myself to reach my workout goals to compensate. Which makes me more tired, sometimes really badly like feeling my legs when walking up stairs and stuff, but also makes me crave even more. It has gotten a bit out of hand to a point where I really feel the need to make the most of opportunities to eat that events and stuff are more about what I am going to eat then the event itself. A while back I went out for a day of shopping and what I was going to buy was less of an item then the morning/afternoon snacks and lunch. Obsessing over all the options and I even got home nauseous from getting... all of them. There are so many more examples of this in the last period. Last weekend I had a relaxed day, home alone, and from a certain moment in the morning my mind was like "how about something nice for tonight when you're home alone chilling and watching football". From that moment on, I think it was the most prominent thing on my mind for hours. I even looked at options on the grocery store website. When I ended up going to the store (I had to go anyway) I spend more than 15 min just standing there fighting with my mind on what to do and ended up getting a bar of chocolate. Which was a small win because there were so many worse options like I even thought about a cake (like a half one, just for myself...) or a combination of multiple things. But the fight in my mind was so difficult, let alone it being on my mind for the whole day. And I was so close to walking out of the store, but stumbled at the last moment and fell. I feel like that's the biggest issue at the moment. The cycle of working out and rewarding myself with food and then over again to compesate on both ends needs to stop. But the fact that all these options can be on my mind for the whole day is bad. And on top of that when presented the chance, I seem to be able to fight it, but just at the last moment I give in and don't have any trick to get over that final hurdle of actually not doing it. It is one of the reason why I signed up here because I want to break that cycle and find ways to beat my mind on this. Especially because I don't want to lose my great fitness progress and hard work before it gets worse and really need to stop that workout obsession to compensate. Already some chats with people on here and reading experiences from others has helped me become more aware and feel less like an idiot for it. But I am really looking for ways to improve my mind in the coming period. Which will be so hard because just signing up here can already trigger the idea like "great first step, you deserve a reward for that my friend"! If you read all of this, awesome, and sorry it is kinda long but I really wanted to get if off my chest because I struggled with it for a while and have not really got anyone to talk to about it. Any words or tips are appreaciated or if you find yourself struggling with it as well, hope the story helps in some way :)
Discussion on Binge Eating vs Overeating
by KristenHR
Last post
November 3rd, 2023
...See more There are several symptoms related to binge eating disorder.  Not every single symptom needs to be met, but the first symptom is one that a therapist or psychiatrist notes through their manual with a list of other symptoms.  If you are checking off some of these symptoms above, please reach out to someone who specializes in eating disorders to see if you have a binge eating disorder. ------------------------- Let's talk about the difference between binge eating and overeating.  This is a concern that comes up for a lot of people.  As we approach the holidays, this is an even more prevalent concern for some. There is a difference between overeating and binge eating.  Here are some questions for discussion. What do you think are the differences between binge eating and overeating? How can you tell if you are binging versus overeating? At what point do you determine that your eating has become disordered or an eating disorder? I'd love to hear your thoughts as we discuss this topic.

Eating Disorder Support

Welcome to Eating Disorder Support! We are welcoming you with open arms and hope to be part of your recovery journey. All are welcome to participate, whether you are a family member watching a loved one struggling or struggling yourself. 

What are the different forum topics for Eating Disorder Support?

Anorexia Nervosa Support: A place for you to discuss issues relating to Anorexia Nervosa. 

Binge Eating Disorder Support: A place for you to discuss issues relating to Binge Eating.

Bulimia Support: A place for you to discuss issues relating to Bulimia.

Discussions & Check-ins: A place for general discussions and regular community check-ins.

General Support: Need any other support that doesn’t fit within another topic? Post it here!

Family and Friends of Individuals with Eating Disorders: Watching a loved on struggle with an Eating Disorder? Discuss it here.

Introductions, Fun & Games: A place to introduce yourself and take part in a variety of fun, games and icebreakers.

Recovery & Moving On: Recovering from an Eating Disorder? Share your story here!

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

Eating Disorder FAQ

Q: Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

A: You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Help! I still have a question! 

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Community Guidelines

The following are some guidelines specific to the Eating Disorder Sub-Community that we request you to follow along with the general Forum Guidelines. The purpose of these guidelines is to ensure a safe and supportive space for everyone, within this sub-community.

• Refrain from mentioning specific weights or calorie counts to avoid triggering others.
  • Remember this is a support community - we should all be supportive of each other’s stories and struggles.
  • Everyone’s struggles are different; please avoid encouraging anyone to lose or gain weight.
  • Avoid overly graphic content and mark potentially sensitive posts with a ‘Trigger Warning’ at the top line of the post.
  • Pro-eating disorder content will not be tolerated.
Community Leaders
Community Mentor / Teen Community Star