Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

CP and Chronic Pain

AmeliaMSW August 23rd, 2015

Hi everyone!

My name is Amelia. I have spastic diplegia and I also have a lot of back and hip pain due to my CP. I was curious, what do you all do for pain relief?

I've tried massage (which is great but only helps in the moment). Have any of you tried any other alternative pain relief methods? (I want to stay away from pain meds because I'm only 23 and I don't want to become addicted).

Thanks!

LauraMSW87 August 24th, 2015

Hi Amelia,

Welcome and I'm glad you found this forum! I'm wondering if you've ever tried any chiropractic or acupuncture? I've tried chiropractic for back pain and it's been somewhat helpful. Also I know PT and OT (physical and occupational therapy) can be helpful to a point. Definitely checking with your doctor to discuss alternative treatments would be a good idea. Take care and post again to let us know how you're doing.

Laura

AmeliaMSW OP August 26th, 2015

Laura,

Thanks so much for responding back. I have not tried accupuncture yet, but I want to. I've tried chiropractic and that helped some. In terms of PT, I haven't really had luck with it for pain relief because my pain primarily is the result of having to change my gait to accomodate my balance and CP.

-Amelia

ItsPreeti December 12th, 2015

@LauraMSW87, streching daily can relief some what pain of it or I wont give importance to it,and divert my energy

aherosheart47 October 29th, 2015

Amelia, with my own CP..I've learned that stretching daily if you are able, really can help..if you have like a belt or strap, it loosen your legs, back and neck and all..if you are able to wrap it around your leg safely, and pull forward..it really feels good over time..I hope you find some relief..

Cstrick9 November 23rd, 2016

Hi everyone, my name is Cassie. I have spastic diplegia Cerebral Palsy. I was wondering if anybody else here is struggling with depression. I have chronic back, knee, and hip pain and most days it's extremely hard to get out of bed. Most days are exhausting and I have had to take a medical leave of absence from my masters program because I can barely function anymore. I can barely walk anymore (I normally use a walker) and any trip that requires more than a few steps, I need to use a wheelchair and somebody has to push me because I do not have an electric one. I'm feeling more and more like a burden and I know the people around me love me and support me but my days are getting harder and life, it seems, is getting worse. I know CP is not to degenerative but the effects from it are and over the past year I have really gone down hill, in a medical sense. I am severely depressed because of this and I just want to know that there are others out there like me, that I'm not alone, and if you happen to have any advice or kind words I would really appreciate it. And this is the first CP community that I have joined and I'm pretty new to this so please, be kind :)