Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Degenerative disc disease

EmselBug123 October 9th, 2014

Does anyone have this condition and have you been told there is no treatment?

October 9th, 2014

I have degenerative disc disease n its very painful in my low back

EmselBug123 OP October 9th, 2014

Me too. We're you told nothing could be done?

October 9th, 2014

Pretty much so yes. If u want to talk more let me know

Yes I would like to chat more if you are happy to.

October 10th, 2014

Ok let me know when and where.

unbroken54 October 9th, 2014

Yes I have this also. I have had it awhile. I had surgery on my cervical spine back in 2008.

I was told that no surgery could help.

October 10th, 2014

When would u like to talk?

October 10th, 2014

Pretty much we get the short end of the stick. I know I hate this pain

One of my discs were so bad that I had surgery. Doctors took bone from my hip, removed the disc, and placed the bone in between C 6/7 fused it together with a titanium plate and screws. I will never be 100% better but I am 50% better. I can live with that

Has any doctor suggested a series of injections in the discs? I went through these but it was only a temporary fix.

Jaelin October 10th, 2014

I have this condition actually and yes thats what I was told as well.

October 10th, 2014

I hate this feeling its painful n frustrating

Jaelin October 10th, 2014

I was told my case wasn't bad enough yet to consider any type of action or treatments? :But I feel like my other health issues are exacerbating this one so I don't know. I'm sorry all of you are dealing with this as well.

EmselBug123 OP October 10th, 2014

@Broken49 are you in the USA? I'm in the UK and it was a spinal surgeon that told me that no surgery or injections would help and that I need to not do anything awkward to make it worse! I'm 39 with young kids and I work and every day tasks are painful. He also said that they are only just doing trials of disc replacement so it would be many years before anything like that would be available. @MV074 as we are both members we are unable to chat other than in the forum I think.

October 10th, 2014

Ah ok I'm also in the USA

unbroken54 October 10th, 2014

Yes I am in the USA. I feel fortunate then to have had an experienced team of doctors. My doctors did tell me that the operation was risky because they went in from the front of my neck and the possibility of cutting into a nerve was a concern. I was in so much pain that I took the chance. So how do you handle the pain Emma?

I just take painkillers @Broken49 the discs that are affected are L3 & 4 so I don't know if that makes a difference regarding treatment not being available.

@emma

​it could be the difference, I don't know. I still have to have therapy at times and use painkillers so the surgery was only somewhat effective. No matter where the location of the degeneration lies, it's very painful. Maybe sometime in the future doctors will be able to operate on you and help!!! It's awful to deal with, I'm sorry.

Yes I've heard that surgery isn't a complete cure. Did something in particular cause yours?

@Emma

I already had degeneration going on in 2004, but then I got rear ended by another car which made all of it worse. My doctor said it was like taking a baseball bat to an already injured area.

How about you?

REED321 October 10th, 2014

If anyone would like to chat about this please click on my name.

EmselBug123 OP October 11th, 2014

@Broken49 mine was through working as a carer and repeatedly bending and twisting.

unbroken54 October 11th, 2014

Oh, ok. I learned that degeneration can happen to anyone at any age. It's very painful to deal with as you already know!