Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Finding Serenity, using Courage, and Wisdom!

MistyMagic August 10th

AD_4nXe0WeWY7kaPbPsMIQPx1kJf6KO5JQmFe7DCSJiZtBGXpLYbjp3CvdFcL1ZMEcy4_kKewpTSQK4fpbiSVt-xS5eqbKTcjnSs4MrJ30S4gRqaadf34H_2SALtARun9ZjRb4wMRPRGA-0cZsdV6rThMwhnzzSi?key=AL8yVX0zhDY9juR-j1qZ5A

I was in a group today and I remembered a poem that I learnt in school. I couldn’t remember it all so I did what everyone else does and googled it, lol. The Serenity Prayer poem came up.

Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And Wisdom to know the difference.

I thought that these wise words might give us all a chance to reflect and peel apart our emotions and how we might use them. This prayer can be a powerful tool for individuals dealing with disability conditions, offering guidance and emotional support in several meaningful ways.

1. Acceptance of Limitations

• "Serenity to accept the things I cannot change" can help people with disabilities come to terms with aspects of their condition that are beyond their control. This acceptance is crucial for mental and emotional well-being, as it reduces the frustration and stress associated with trying to change what is immutable, such as permanent physical limitations or chronic pain.

• Application: This part of the prayer can be used in daily reflection, encouraging a peaceful acknowledgment of one's reality without dwelling on the "what ifs."

2. Courage to Seek Improvements

• "Courage to change the things I can" empowers individuals to take proactive steps towards improving their quality of life, even within the confines of their condition. This might involve seeking out new therapies, advocating for better accessibility, learning new skills, or adopting adaptive technologies.

• Application: This line can inspire action, motivating individuals to focus on areas where they can make a tangible difference in their lives, thus fostering a sense of agency and control.

3. Wisdom and Discernment for Balance

• "Wisdom to know the difference" emphasizes the importance of discernment in recognizing which aspects of life are changeable and which are not. This balance is key in avoiding wasted energy on futile efforts while also not resigning oneself to unnecessary limitations.

• Application: This wisdom can guide decision-making, helping individuals allocate their time and energy effectively, focusing on meaningful pursuits that enhance their well-being and acceptance.

4. Daily Affirmation

• The Serenity Prayer can serve as a daily affirmation, grounding individuals in a mindset of peaceful acceptance, courageous action, and wise discernment. This ritual can help maintain mental and emotional resilience in the face of ongoing challenges associated with disability.

• Application: Repeating the prayer daily can reinforce a positive mental attitude and help manage feelings of helplessness or frustration.

5. Support for Caregivers

• Caregivers of individuals with disabilities can also find solace and guidance in the Serenity Prayer. Accepting the limitations of what they can do, finding the courage to provide the best care possible, and discerning when to seek help or additional resources can prevent burnout and enhance the quality of care.

• Application: Caregivers can use the prayer as a reminder to practice self-care, seek support, and set realistic expectations for themselves and their loved ones.

6. Community and Shared Experience

• The Serenity Prayer is often shared within support groups, fostering a sense of community among individuals facing similar challenges. This shared reflection can be a source of comfort and strength, knowing that others are navigating the same journey.

• Application: In a group setting, the prayer can be recited together, creating a bond of mutual understanding and support, which can be particularly beneficial for individuals with disabilities who may feel isolated.

7. Mindfulness and Meditation

• The simple, profound nature of the Serenity Prayer makes it an excellent tool for mindfulness practice. Focusing on each line can help center the mind, reduce anxiety, and promote a state of calm awareness.

• Application: Individuals can use the prayer as a mantra during meditation, helping to focus their thoughts and achieve a state of mental peace and clarity.

Incorporating the Serenity Prayer into the daily life of someone with a disability, or their caregivers, can provide a spiritual and emotional framework that supports resilience, acceptance, and proactive living. To me, these words surpass religion or spirituality and finds the core to our existence and how to learn to live the best life we can. Its timeless message resonates deeply with the unique challenges faced by those living with disabilities. I hope you feel the same but I would love to hear how these words might affect you.

Do you resonate with the idea of acceptance? Or do you deny that approach and keep looking for answers or a different solution?

What about courage? I feel that most people with disabilities that I have the honor to meet are very courageous people. Not that they would ever like to be called that, they are humble and caring, loving and kind and most would do anything to help others forgetting that they may be the one that needs help the most.

Wisdom - being wise is helped by experience and gained by knowledge. Age sometimes brings wisdom with it but also age can mean that we lose touch and grow apart from the current world. Wisdom can be lost if it is not used and shared, passing it on to others.

I have written a lot here, so now it is for you, here is your chance to look deep within yourself and find your inner peace. Please share with us your thoughts and feelings.

MistyMagic OP August 10th

For anyone interested in being interviewed, as well as volunteering to interview someone else there is a form https://forms.gle/MZ1df1FWtJYHQvuy9  Or you can pm @MistyMagic or @AffyAvo

Catch up with other Interviews Here in our Master List!

Want to join the Disability Support Community Team? Find out more Here

@777Bre777 @adaptableOcean4193 @adaptablePomegranate1587 @adequatelyInadequate @adventurousBranch3786 @AffyAvo @agreeableTurtle1021 @AguaNector6700 @amusingTalker1267 @Aqua1494 @Arsalanahmed @Ashleylovescats @AttentiveEar @audienta @AutiBoy @Averayne93 @azuladragon34 @BacktotheTrail @BeyondTheInvisible @BlindGrapefruit @blissfulTouch29 @Bndonovan02 @bouncyBreeze44 @bouncyVoice4149 @Breezy2013 @cal1860 @CaringBrit @CheeryPotato @CheerySandi @ChildGoddessFlute @Chloe1644 @cinnamoncocoa @CocoaCassie @Colorfulcatsofhope @communicativePond1728 @considerateBunny7436 @Countrygirl095 @crystallizedrequiem @Daisy7cups @DichotomousDetia @disneymoonlight @Disneywoman @DoISayIt @DonaldK @DylanMark @Edobre399 @Emiliako @emotionalTalker2260 @enigmaticOcean8813 @enthusiasticOwl866 @enthusiasticTortoise6681 @fairmindedWater1140 @Fireskye13 @FrenchMarbles @friendlyEars8792 @goldenSpruce1512 @greekcatperson @IcedCoffee211109 @IndigoWhisper @InfiniteThoughts2k19 @Jamesjones10123 @Jewels012222 @jovialButterfly6752 @JoyfulUnicorn @JoyIntoDarkness @K87 @kenzixo @killaj0ule @Kittibear @KuhnDisabled101 @kwheelz @lightTriangle7748 @LikeABirdWithoutWings @lovelycoacoa @lovelySun2900 @LoveMyRotty @magnifiedfaith @ManinblacK @MartianGirl347 @MeaningfulSilence @Meowsicle @MistyMagic @mnhtx3 @modestHickory2783 @modestOcean1286 @moosprbrk @MyNameIsNicole @NaomiR @NevaehRose @NotKhan2 @Ofenkartoffel @OneErased @PerfectHarmony10 @philosophicalAcai7803 @pinkbunnywabbit @Pixiechu @placidMoth @Plantsaremybestfriends @Poppia @PotFullOfSky2020 @rainbowVibes @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @redGrapes1822 @Redheadmadeofglitter94 @repen13 @reservedCat9143 @reservedOwl6476 @RiggsMortis @sabeyesofblue3535 @Seachele @SmolBurrahobbit12 @SparklyCat @specialPurple1582 @StarsOrchidsOwls @stuffiessytem @sunshinegiraffe123 @tearstruck @theboymoana @TimidBear @TomatoEmi @turquoiseHemlock900 @u2canwin @wahmbrenda @Walker7957 @WeedyGarden @WishUponAStar968 @wonderfulRainbow817 @xandia @xxParkerxx @Zed786

Tinywhisper11 August 10th

@MistyMagic I can accept my disabilities to a certain extent🙂 I've managed to work hard with being able to use my hands, and now I can do all sorts of art and crafts 😁 I have limited movement, but there are some gentle stretches and exercises that I can do still ❤ the prayer sounds really nice, all theese tips you wrote, are things I still have to work on. I don't like the way I look. And I still can't quite accept that the doctors said it will be a miracle of I live till I'm 40, and that oneday I'll more than likely become completely paralysed. That scares me. (Only half paralysed currently) but I will write down the serenity prayer, hopefully in time I'll accept it all ❤❤

Tinywhisper11 August 10th

@Tinywhisper11 thanks misty for this post ❤

TU100OT August 10th

@Tinywhisper11

I'm sorry you have to go through all that.

love.gif

Tinywhisper11 August 11th

@TU100OT awww hugs you back ❤ don't worry about me, I'm doing ok😁 enjoying life while I can ❤

@Tinywhisper11 Thank you for sharing. I know the thought of future can be really scary! But we are all here together and I know you are such a strong young lady!

peace.gif

@Walker7957 more peaceful water for you!

Tinywhisper11 August 11th

@MistyMagic thanks misty ❤ that picture is beautiful😍 I'm with walker on this one, I love seeing the flowing water ❤ gives you a giant tiny hug ❤

MistyMagic OP August 17th

@Tinywhisper11 today is rough sea weather lol! My work just never stops 😁

ridewithp.gif

Tinywhisper11 August 17th

@MistyMagic 😂😂😂😂😂😂 what is she trying to do😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Tinywhisper11 August 17th

@MistyMagic how are you doing today misty?? I'd like to hear about you, what issues you face, your always do sweet to everyone ❤ even forum/room supporters need to express themselves🙂 maybe one day you'll want to share ❤ I'm always here for you, just as much as your here for me and everyone else ❤❤gives you a giant tiny hug ❤