Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My honors project on ''DEPRESSION''

viola05 July 8th, 2018

DEPRESSION- A MOOD DISORDER-

There are two poles of mood in all human beings. One is depression and one is euphoria.Depressed people float more towards the left side and maniac people float more towards right side. When it becomes a cycle to float only in extremes ( extreme depression for some time then extreme euphoria for some time) it is called bipolar disorder. In my project we will focus on depression only.

ifn2cyN.jpg

One should keep in mind its totally normal to be towards depressed pole for a day or two. To be called as a depression it needs to be persistent for a certain number of weeks which we will discuss below.

INTRODUCTION TO DEPRESION-

Depression is also known as ‘common cold of psychology. It is said so because it is the foremost reason for which people visit a psychologist. But this term has both good and bad points in itself. The good point being that this term tells how pervasive this disorder is experienced worldwide. It has been observed that 13% males and 22% females suffer with this disorder once in lifetime atleast. And 31% of college students have experienced it once in their lives. The bad point being that this term ignores the seriousness of this disorder. Even though its common and known by almost everyone we cant say its something small because it takes away many lives too and also it causes a lot of distress to the surrounding people and obviously to the person suffering.

Depression is a common but serious mood disorder. It causes severe symptoms that affect how you feel, think, and handle daily activities, such as sleeping, eating, or working. To be diagnosed with depression, the symptoms must be present for at least two weeks.

SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION

THREE CORE SYMPTOMS ARE

1. Loss of interest and enjoyment

2. Reduced energy leading to increased fatigue

3. Depressed mood

OTHER SYMPTOMS ARE-

1. Reduced concentration and attention

2. Reduced self esteem and self confidence

3. Ideas of guilt and unworthiness

4. Disturbed sleep

5. Diminished appetite

6. Ideas or acts of self harm

7. Bleak and pessimistic views of the future

Not everyone who is depressed experiences every symptom. Some people experience only a few symptoms while others may experience many. Several persistent symptoms in addition to low mood are required for a diagnosis of major depression, but people with only a few – but distressing – symptoms may benefit from treatment of their depression. The severity and frequency of symptoms and how long they last will vary depending on the individual and his or her particular illness. Symptoms may also vary depending on the stage of the illness.

TYPES OF DEPRESSION

1. PERSISTENT DEPRESSIVE DISORDER (DYSTHYMIA)

2. MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER (MDD)

3. RECURRENT DEPRESSION

4. SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER (SAD)

5. POST PARTUM DEPRESSION

Persistent depressive disorder (also called dysthymia) is a depressed mood that lasts for at least two years. A person diagnosed with persistent depressive disorder may have episodes of major depression along with periods of less severe symptoms, but symptoms must last for two years to be considered persistent depressive disorder.

Major depressive disorder is a depressed mood that lasts for minimum of two weeks. The person suffers some periods of intense depression which is unrelated to whats happening around them. Other times they will not be perfectly in normal mood but it cannot be said as extreme depression too. [MonBon edited at author's request]

Recurrent depression is a type of depressive disorder in which there are cycles of depressive episodes. The person feels completely normal after having a phase of depressive episode. Its like depression goes for sometime and then comes back to the person. It can be disheartening to realize that your depression will likely come back.

Postpartum depression is much more serious than the baby blues (relatively mild depressive and anxiety symptoms that typically clear within two weeks after delivery) that many women experience after giving birth. Women with postpartum depression experience full-blown major depression during pregnancy or after delivery (postpartum depression). The feelings of extreme sadness, anxiety, and exhaustion that accompany postpartum depression may make it difficult for these new mothers to complete daily care activities for themselves and/or for their babies

Seasonal affective disorder is characterized by the onset of depression during the winter months, when there is less natural sunlight. This depression generally lifts during spring and summer. Winter depression, typically accompanied by social withdrawal, increased sleep, and weight gain, predictably returns every year in seasonal affective disorder.

FACTORS CAUSING DEPRESSON-

BIOLOGICAL FACTORS

1.Genetic reasons (transferred from parents)

2.Decreased neurotransmitter(serotonin, dopamine and nor epinephrine)

3.Decreased activity of pre-frontal cortex area of brain

4.Decreased activity in reward circuit area of brain

PSYCHOLOGICAL FACTORS

1. Cognitive distortions (eg black and white thinking)

2. Learned helplessness (not trying to get out of a negative situation because past has taught that you are helpless)

3. Pessimistic attribution style

SOCIOCULTURAL FACTORS

1. Social isolation

2. Physical abuse as a child or adult

3. Low socioeconomic status/poverty(eg – loss of a job)

4. internalised prejudice

Every depressed person has this cognitive negative triad of view

1. Negative view of self

2.Negative view of world

3.Negative view of future

What is pessimistic attribution style?

This makes person vulnerable to depression. It includes three things-

Internal- The person blames himself for every negative thing happening. (eg if someone didnt call them back since they are busy the person will think that i am unlovable)

Stable- The person thinks it will continue to happen in future too. ( eg he will never pick my call now and i have to suffer)

Global- The person generalises one event globally.(eg one friend not calling back means no friend likes me and no one will call me).

## In case of serious deaths of a closed one or some serious traumas,accidents,abuses, the person is given two months time to get normal but if the depression still persists then it should be considered serious.

Yes, chronic depression might not be the ideal topic for a conversation. But people think it is perfectly alright to discuss swine flu or dengue in public. One could argue its because they could be deadly and we can actually see people suffering from them. What we dont realise is that depression can be deadly too and we can see people suffering if we choose to look. Going to see a doctor for depression should ideally be as normal as visiting a physician for diabetes. But our society does not consider it normal because there is a stigma attached to mental health issues.

THESE ARE SOME THOUGHTS OF DEPRESSED PEOPLE-

Depression... it just eats you up from the inside out. Its like a monster inside your head that takes over. The worst thing is to know that my family and friends were doing all they could yet I still felt so lonely. Anything that was said to me, I managed to turn into a bad thing. I was literally my own worst enemy. I didnt want to wake up because living was a nightmare. I would get so frustrated because it seemed impossible to sleep, as if insomnia and depression go hand in hand.

With major depression, it was like being in another world. I would see others around me smiling, and enjoying things that they were doing, but I couldn't be the same way. There was always a part of me that was missing.

I lost interest - not only with my friends, family, but also with my husband and children. Different things would make it worse at times, like being under a lot of stress. I became suicidal and had feelings of being a burden to everyone who cared about me; and this is the part that would over take my world the most.

I didn't have any ambition, or any interest in finding my way. Being drunk and sad and alone was my job — and you know what? I didn't hate it. Being lost at sea was a comfort.

I found myself starting to feel really empty and genuinely numb to the outside world. I was crying nearly every day and just felt a hopelessness that wouldn't go away. It was a strange feeling that I had never experienced before. During class, the only thing I could think about was getting back in my bed.

TREATMENT-

Just as no two people are affected the exact same way by depression, there is no one size fits all treatment that cures depression. What works for one person might not work for another. The best way to treat depression is to become as informed as possible about the treatment options, and then tailor them to meet your needs.

Exercise- Regular exercise can be as effective at treating depression as medication. Not only does exercise boost serotonin, endorphins, and other feel-good brain chemicals, it triggers the growth of new brain cells and connections, just like antidepressants do. Best of all, you dont have to train for a marathon in order to reap the benefits. Even a half-hour daily walk can make a big difference. For maximum results, aim for 30 to 60 minutes of aerobic activity on most days.

Social support- Strong social networks reduce isolation, a key risk factor for depression. Keep in regular contact with friends and family, or consider joining a class or group. Volunteering is a wonderful way to get social support and help others while also helping yourself.

Nutrition- Eating well is important for both your physical and mental health. Eating small, well-balanced meals throughout the day will help you keep your energy up and minimize mood swings. While you may be drawn to sugary foods for the quick boost they provide, complex carbohydrates are a better choice. They'll get you going without the all-too-soon sugar crash.

Sleep- Sleep has a strong effect on mood. When you don't get enough sleep, your depression symptoms will be worse. Sleep deprivation exacerbates irritability, moodiness, sadness, and fatigue. Make sure you are getting enough sleep each night. Very few people do well on less than seven hours a night. Aim for somewhere between seven to nine hours each night.

Stress reduction-Make changes in your life to help manage and reduce stress. Too much stress exacerbates depression and puts you at risk for future depression. Take the aspects of your life that stress you out, such as work overload or unsupportive relationships, and find ways to minimize their impact.

If there is no underlying medical cause for your symptoms of depression, talk therapy can be an extremely effective treatment. What you learn in therapy gives you skills and insight to feel better and help prevent depression from coming back.

There are many types of therapy available. Three of the more common methods used in depression treatment include cognitive behavioral therapy, interpersonal therapy, and psychodynamic therapy. Often, a blended approach is used.

Some types of therapy teach you practical techniques on how to reframe negative thinking and employ behavioral skills in combating depression. Therapy can also help you work through the root of your depression, helping you understand why you feel a certain way, what your triggers are for depression, and what you can do to stay healthy.

One of the hallmarks of depression is feeling overwhelmed and having trouble focusing. Therapy helps you step back and see what might be contributing to your depression and how you can make changes. Here are some of the big picture themes that therapy can help with:

Relationships- Understanding the patterns of your relationship. building better relationships, and improving current relationships will help reduce isolation and build social support, important in preventing depression.

Setting healthy boundaries- If you are stressed and overwhelmed, and feel like you just cant say no, you are more at risk for depression. Setting healthy boundaries in relationships and at work can help relieve stress, and therapy can help you identify and validate the boundaries that are right for you.

Handling lifes problems- Talking with a trusted therapist can provide good feedback on more positive ways to handle lifes challenges and problems.

Depression medication- may be the most advertised treatment for depression, but that doesnt mean it is the most effective. Depression is not just about a chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication may help relieve some of the symptoms of moderate and severe depression, but it doesnt cure the underlying problem, and its usually not a long-term solution. Antidepressant medications also come with side effects and safety concerns, and withdrawal can be very difficult.

If you are taking medication for depression, dont ignore other treatments. Lifestyle changes and therapy not only help speed recovery from depression, but also provide skills to help prevent a recurrence

Relaxation techniques- As well as helping to relieve symptoms of depression, relaxation may also reduce stress and boost feelings of joy and well-being. Try yoga, deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, or meditation.

Acupuncture- Acupuncture, the technique of using fine needles on specific points on the body for therapeutic purposes, is increasingly being investigated as a treatment for depression, with some research studies showing promising results. If you decide to try acupuncture, make sure that you find a licensed qualified professional.

CONCLUSION-

When youre depressed, it can feel like youll never get out from under a dark shadow. However, even the most severe depression is treatable. So, if your depression is keeping you from living the life you want to, dont hesitate to seek help. Learning about your depression treatment options will help you decide which approach is right for you. From therapy to medication to healthy lifestyle changes, there are many effective treatments that can help you overcome depression, feel happy and hopeful again, and reclaim your life.

REFERENCES-

1. https://www.helpguide.org/articles/depression/depression-treatment.htm

2.https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml

3.https://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/causes-depression

4.https://www.bustle.com/articles/153869-7-utterly-bizarre-thoughts-most-depressed-people-have-had

5. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/depression/treatments-for-depression

6. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/symptoms-causes/syc-20356007

QUESTIONS-

1.What according to you are the emotions of a caregiver of depressed patient?

2.What are the other factors that help the depressed person to get out of this negative cycle?

3.How will you talk to a person who is diagonesd with depression?

4.How can we increase awareness that person suffering is not faking the symptoms and the disorder is not under his control as thought by many people?

5.Tell a relatable story or a poem or an incident you want to share.How can we help people suffering from depression being a listener on 7cups?

1pjQsxs.jpg

July 10th, 2018

@viola05

Nice job!!!

viola05 OP July 10th, 2018

@HealingAngel4u

Thank you so much ❤️

cinary July 10th, 2018

@viola05 hi, you did an amazing job, it gives a lot of information and it's easy to understand, I love it ☺️❤️

@cinary

Thank you dear. I am glad. I tried to use very simple language so that everyone can understand easily. You got thst.❤️😉

thoughtfulIceCream80 July 10th, 2018

@viola05 the question of how a caregiver should respond or how should they help the person who is depressed is a question that plagues me a lot. I wonder if someone could answer it.

I try to remind myself that the person is suffering so I try to be compassionate, but sometimes my emotions get the better of me.

As for how do we help them. Sometimes being able to just listen I feel helps, but its hard to distinguish when I should be listening and when I should be giving advice.

Any other suggestions people have?

@thoughtfulIceCream80

It is very much possible @thoughtfull that the caregiver gets irritated due to repeating negative thoughts and acts of self harm and suicide. Sometimes the caregiver even thinks that the person is acting by sleeping so much or being too much lethargic. At that time it is important for a real time caregiver or even we as listeners on 7cups that person is not acting. It's not under his control. He too want to get normal and think like everyone. We should remember he is also waiting for sun to come after all these gloomy days. It's more of being empathetic on part of caregiver. You know even the behaviour of surrounding people helps him to get well. As I told his thinking becomes pessimistic when being depressed so we should neither blame the suffering person nor us which many caregivers do (like saying in front of sufferer that I know you are at this stage because of me) instead just be with him and listen to him. It will be all he must be needing. Also everything differs from person to person so react by seeing him too. Hope this could help. Thank you.❤️

MxSkeleton July 10th, 2018

@viola05

This is so beautifully written, and the images/comics were a hoot! I am glad you took the time to make this, and thank you for doing such a good job on it :)

~~~MissSkeleton

@MissSkeleton

Thank you so much Skelly!!❤️ I am glad you liked it 😉

MxSkeleton July 10th, 2018

@viola05

You're very welcome <3 I admire your dedication :)

Power14 July 10th, 2018

Very nice, I liked it keep it up :)

@Power14

Thank a lot power😃 And yes I will surely keep it up❤️

Accompaniedsadness July 10th, 2018

How do you measure self worth? I'm constantly comparing myself to others, I'm always doubting my relationship and thinking he deserves better.

@Accompaniedsadness

Hey! Why do you compare yourself to others. You are you and they are they. Everyone is beautiful in their own ways. Try not to compare yourself with others. Comparison is good if it's for your betterment but not if it is affecting your daily life. Thank you ❤️

GuardianAngel77 July 10th, 2018

@Accompaniedsadness

You shouldn't compare yourself to others!!

You are a beautiful and amazing and wonderful

person! Believe this!! 😊😊😊😊😊!!

NalaHakeem July 11th, 2018

@Accompaniedsadness

Howdy!

You questioned how one should measure self-worth, and though I, myself, am a partial hypocrite of the following words, I do hope it will be of help. Well, I do want to first state that it is, indeed, quite difficult not to compare yourself, especially when you are surrounded by constantly thriving individuals while you feel as though you are left behind in the process of progression, and lack the skills they achieved so easily. However, here are a few points to consider:

1. Everyone is independent of one another, and everyone views them self as the main character of their life. And, as we strive, we will feel envious from time to time, and neglect our worthiness when we do not mirror a certain individual we thrive to be. However, if you really do consider it, would you, in all reality, want to "be" a completely different person? If you truly admired an individual, would you have admired them enough to wish to take their place "in totality"? I would think it not, for no matter how much we degrade ourselves and uphold the value of others, we do have an immortal bond with ourselves, and a slight fondness of how we perceive the world. Comparing yourself is almost inevitable, I must agree. But, it is also a way to improve ourselves. Without competition, there would be no source of motivation. You may thrive for certain accomplishments, but I would not recommend pursuing to change your identity.

2. We all have differed lives, and endure various obstacles. Not all individuals will be granted the same opportunities, and this has much to do with the Mandela Effect, where a slight occurrence may eventually lead to a rather large adn unpredictable outcome, a phenomenon not likely to be controlled by any man. One may have to work harder in one aspect of their life in comparison to another. And though this may certainly sound unfair, there are 2 sub-factors to contemplate about here; 1.As an individual effortlessly strives in one area, they will struggle more in another 2. Though you may encounter pessimistic views and low-self esteem of yourself as you see the accomplishments of others, do remember that by the time you would have achieved that same goal, you would have been stronger with a possibly greater potential, for you worked harder and trained more to achieve that same goal (which is not a sign of weakness, mind you, but determination and fortitude)

3. when comparing ourselves to others, we tend to forget our own accomplishments. Do give yourself a few moments to contemplate your life, the obstacles you have endured, the skills you have achieved, and accomplishments you are proud of. There is certainly more quality to yourself than you believe :)

This response was longer than intended, but I do hope it will be of benefit to you. Let me know what you think about the points, and let me know if there is a disagreement, I certainly would not mind the honest opinion

RecordLove27 July 10th, 2018

Great job! very nice i really liked it.laugh

@RecordLove27

Thank you ❤️

Samantharenee July 10th, 2018

Amazing job! :)

@Samantharenee

Thank you so much 💖

soulsings July 10th, 2018

@viola05 that presentation really rocks! Thanks for that awesome job.

@soulsings

Thank you so much for giving it a read. That means a lot❤️

TracyLynn00 July 10th, 2018

@viola05

TracyLynn00 July 10th, 2018

Great Stuff. In my studies i haven't learned much about depression yet, so this is very helpful.

@TracyLynn00

Thank you so much. I am glad this could help you increasing your knowledge. Anything you wanna discuss about feel free to do so.❤️

Marya25 July 10th, 2018

@viola05

This is actually so accurate and well done on it, the whole presenation is amazingheartyes

@Marya25

Thanks a lot. ❤️ If you have any questions please feel free to ask.☺️

EmpatheticEars94 July 10th, 2018

1.What according to you are the emotions of a caregiver of depressed patient?

Caregivers of a depressed patients also may also face negative feelings due to their continious interactions with depressed patients. It is difficult task for a caregiver to remain neutral with regards to the care of such patients due to the nature of depression, such as the possible presence of suicidal tendancies and thoughts, self-harm and other potentially harmful behaviours and emotional states, A caregiver will, therefore, will have to be able to deal with the latter aspects, which will require a lot of emotional energy.

2.What are the other factors that help the depressed person to get out of this negative cycle?

As a person with depression may lose interest in what they use to enjoy. It would be a great way to help such people to regain their enjoyment they use to gain from those things, such as hobbies or routine activities that may aid in relieving stress or occupy their attention in order to avoid negative thought patterns

3.How will you talk to a person who is diagonesd with depression?

I would treat such persons relative to their emotional state, If they need a supportive figure, I will try to talk to them in a way that comes accross as me being understanding of them and not being judgemental. If they need someone to draw their attention away from the turmoil they are facing, I will offer a more casual approach in my social interaction with them.

4.How can we increase awareness that person suffering is not faking the symptoms and the disorder is not under his control as thought by many people?

It is important that we continiously educate persons from a younger age on the significance of mental health and how people suffering from metal health disorders must not be seen as less important than those suffering from physiological disroders,

5.Tell a relatable story or a poem or an incident you want to share.How can we help people suffering from depression being a listener on 7cups?

7 cups offers immediate emotional support to those seeking it, unlike the conventional means of making an appointment with a counselor or psychologist whihc leads to the person waiting a few days or longer before being able to receive such support. Moreover, 7 cups is more apporachable in terms of seeking support as it can be quite intimidating to seek help from mental health services. 7 Cups, can therefore certainly make a person more open towards seeking professional help in the future due to their positive experiences using this service. Being a listener has certainly improved my communication abilities in terms of offering emotional support to others, not only through online means, but also though personal interactions with others,

EmpatheticEars94 July 10th, 2018

Pardon my grammar and spelling.

@EmpatheticEars94

That was really okay. Nothing to pardon about 💕

@EmpatheticEars94

No problems. You're fine. 😊😊😊!!

@EmpatheticEars94

I am glad you answered them all. You are really right that caregivers also get negative being with them but they should remsrewith them at the same time as well. I really liked the point to reactivate the activities they once did but stopped now. That is even done in therapies (I read that). I appreciate 7cups could help you with your communication skills. And high five 🤚on being a LISTENER on 7cups and helping people. It really feels nice when someone says you helped them. Thank you again. If any questions ask me freely❤️

Vangiehealer July 10th, 2018

@EmpatheticEars94

@EmpatheticEars94

I loved what you had to say about the caregivers.

Very good points. 😊😊😊!!

AliceK8 July 10th, 2018

@viola05 great job! that was very well explained

@Lucypink91

Thanks a lot💖

@viola05

Awesome presentation!!😊😊

Keep up the great work!! 😊😊😊!!

@GuardianAngel77

Thank you dear❤️

Let's keep this great work all together💖

JolivetteListens July 10th, 2018

@viola05 Awesome! I really enjoyed reading your post!

viola05 OP July 11th, 2018

@JolivetteListens

I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks a lot.

vibha2109 July 10th, 2018

@viola05 Wonderfully written laugh Amazing work! heart