Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I wish I were religious

writerchick88 July 8th, 2019

I always wish that I could be more religious. I wish I had that kind of faith that others do. That there was a higher power who had some grandplan for me- that I could trust in something so implictly. That there was a promise for something amazing waiting at the end of all this suffering.

I downloaded some books on religion to see if I could find one that matches but I haven't gotten very far.

391Garfield July 13th, 2019

@writerchick88 I get it. Those with Faith can say I'll give it to God, like it will just all get better somehow. I was semi religous once. In the last decade or so, I have steered my version of faith into what I can control rather than wish away my fears or worry about what I can not control. If I feel tired, I look at my diet, exercise and how I'm handling stress. I can measure those, it's tangible. I invest my time (your most precious nonrenewable resource - Brene Brown quote) into my daughter or into community/volunteer work. Again, easy inputs and outputs. It's a type of religion - "a pursuit or interest To which someone ascribes supreme importance". Hope that helps.

Goofymx13 July 13th, 2019

@writerchick88

Religion has been turned in a corporation, the true fundamentals are to have FAITH in yourself. We all are our own temples that we should care for and respect. Its not easy to not believe because we have nothing to blame nor depend on. Most people are scared of the unknown so to put their minds at ease they leave it in the hands of a higher power. I am a atheist/agnostic whatever you want to call it and its tough. Its tough for me because I cant just put all my harsh life on anybody or anything I cant just say someone has a higher purpose for me. To have faith is not to be religious just put that faith in yourself. Thats just my view.

mytwistedsoul July 8th, 2019

@writerchick88 Hey How are you?

I have to admit - I've often felt the same way. Am I missing something because of the lack of faith. It is what's so wrong with my life. I wish I had something concrete to tell you. You're not alone though. We're all looking for answers. Best we can do is help each other where we can along the way.

stressBear August 2nd, 2019

@writerchick88 There are two ways to go about finding a religion when you're not religious.

The first is to find a religion that doesn't require you to believe in anything supernatural. The Unitarians, some forms of Buddhism (especially Zen), some of the Neopagan groups, etc. See which are nearby, and try them out. Many of the non-believers I know have found a home with the Unitarians; they're good, kind people.

The second is to find a group that's more-or-less aligned with your cultural heritage, and tolerant of people who aren't believers but want the fellowship and the support. Find a religion with a set of stories that speak to you -- even a story you know is pure fiction can be incredibly comforting.

Or write your own stories.