Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Those who are taking/have taken antidepressants, how did it feel like for you?

Grrreywolf July 24th, 2017

What did you feel when taking antidepressants, or after taking antidepressants? Did it make a difference for you?

My therapist referred me to a psychiatrist to get prescribed with antidepressants, but i'm scared that I'll mess up more my already messed up brain. And I always hear people feels dead or numb while being in it. Can someone share their experience with me?

SilentSerenityy July 24th, 2017

@Grrreywolf

I found them really helpful! I had a high dose first which made me feel realy ill so I went back for a lower dose. I would recommend starting on a lower dose. It really does take the edge off, but they don't work for everyone. I was on them for, I think about 2 years and when I came off them, I felt a lot more level headed and overall calmer. They say that meds don't cure you, but they basically did for me. I still experience some anxiety and bouts of depression but now I feel I'm in control of it and try to stop it myself with healthy alternatives. When I went on them, I developed panic disorder, but that's gone now. I used to have panic attacks every day and now I haven't had one since I came off them. :)

Grrreywolf OP July 24th, 2017

@SilentSerenityy thank you for your response. It does scare me a lot, because it affects people differently. I'm just honestly scared rn.

SilentSerenityy July 24th, 2017

@Grrreywolf

You don't have to take them if you don't want to but if you do take them, you have nothing to lose and you always have the ability to stop taking them! The decision and control is entirely in your hands. :)

carefreeWords70 July 24th, 2017

@Grrreywolf Personally for me, it messed up sleep cycle especially because I was taking sleeping pills when I initially increased my dosage. I also became very tired and sleepy easily and didn't have much energy as before. But I think it might be a different experience for everyone - be sure to consult a professional.

raspberryMoon5394 August 5th, 2017

I was nervous about trying antidepressants at first too, but one day i decided i needed to make a change in my life, and medication seemed like a necessary step. It's definitely something worth looking into, and your psychiatrist can answer any questions you have to help aleiviate your concerns. One thing i will say is to be really careful and make sure you're staying in contact with your therapist if you do decide to try out medication because the first few weeks can be brutal. For me, as with several people I've talked to, my depression got worse before getting better but the important thing there is that it did get better. If you're worried about being stuck on antidepressants for the rest of your life, which was one of my worries, a lot of people only end up taking them in short term. Also if you end up not liking them you can always ask your doctor to be weened off of them (just don't quit cold turkey, i've done that and it was an awful experience).

Hope this was helpful and good luck :)

raspberryMoon5394 August 5th, 2017

@raspberryMoon5394 I guess I didn't really add much about what it felt like taking them, which was more of your initial question, so here it goes:

I take an SSRI which doesn't give you a buzz or anything, it just helps me feel "normal" as in functional and not glued to my bed. The first week my head kind of just felt weird but that was just my brain making adjustments. Other than that, I really don't have any adverse effects besides the occasional nausea. They do make me a little drowsy, so i take them before bed. I was worried that I would feel groggy or out of it, but they don't do that to me at all (my other anxiety meds do, but that's partially what they're there for). Most people get prescribed SSRIs at first simply because they tend to be effective and have minimal side effects in comparison to other drugs like MAOIs.

Grrreywolf OP August 5th, 2017

@raspberryMoon5394 thank you for your response. I am really scared, but I think I need to try as well. I hope everything will be okay in the end.

Jpmk August 5th, 2017

hated it. Awful experience which lead to prematurely stop taking them.

It made me suffer extreme night sweats, wetting the bed, nocturnal emission, severe low mood, nausea and now I see TV shows documenting whether SSRIs lead to murderous thoughts.

How doctors can prescribe SSRIs I'll never know

genuineTree90 August 9th, 2017

@Grrreywolf My mood was generally better and I felt more in control of my life, but there were times when I felt so fake, like I knew this happiness wasn't real if that makes sense? But meds effect everyone differently!

diplomaticClementine9648 January 4th, 2018

There are quite a few different remedies and strategies that girls who have postnatal depression attempt out. Sports and exercise can lessen the signs of melancholy, but it isn't clear if this is true for postnatal depression. Various studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids are not effective. There is too little study on this forum edrugforum.com on things such as massages, acupuncture and bright light therapy to have the ability to state whether they help or not. Bright light therapy entails spending a certain amount of time near a special lamp or light with your eyes open, so the light shines on the retina of your eyes.