Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Scared to get help

BarbedwireCowgirl April 21st, 2018

I think I might have depression, but I'm afraid to seek help. With the big push to stop mentally ill people from getting guns I'm afraid of losing my rights.

Madeline1234 April 23rd, 2018

@BarbedwireCowgirl I also worry about not being able to own/purchase guns in the future. But I dont think that you will be banned from purchasing guns if you just go speak with someone.

Booklover95 April 21st, 2018

@BarbedwireCowgirl

Last thing you should think about right now is guns. You should focous on yourself first, on your mental health. Ask for help, take care of yourself

Venturedjade April 22nd, 2018

Dealing with depressions and anxiety, I freak out everytime I think about the future. Being a college student my parents depend on my to do good in school and get a job. They already see how good they think I'm doing. After moving out and getting a raise. But all I feel is depressed and very suicidal. I want to get help and admit myself into a hospital because I'm scared that i really might take too many pills or just grab my exacto knife and just cut my wrists out of sheer anger and fear. But I cant because my parents won't see it coming. They may not take it serious and I cant br out of school and work that long.

Indistinctaurora May 18th, 2018

@Venturedjade http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/taking-leave-absence-what-you-need-know

Have you looked into resources like this? I think that you would benefit from taking a break and getting more in depth care. I have been hospitalized three times, and the severity of my mental health conditions lead to me being retired from the U.S. Army. Yet, it's given me the time to do a lot of self care as well as access different therapy programs (support groups, therapy groups, one on one sessions, and half day therapy groups). I suffer from PTSD, so being removed from service also helped with my symptoms. Do I miss the army? Yes. Do I think that my separation was beneficial to me? Yes.

Ultimately, you need to get professional help. Does your school have counseling services on campus? Maybe that would be a good place to start.

Indistinctaurora May 18th, 2018

@BarbedwireCowgirl I understand that to other people it may seem backwards that you don't want to sacrifice something in order to get help. I have been hospitalized for suicidal ideation more than once, and each time it was because it was "reccommended". There were lots of times that I would minimize my state so that I wouldn't get hospitalized because I didn't want to be stuck in the hospital for 3 to 5 days. What I was experiencing needed immediate attention though, and I knew that so I didn't try to fight hospitalizations. You need immediate care, although depending on what symptoms you're experiencing the level of care might be different (out patient care or inpatient or both). Please seek care.

RecoveringFlower May 19th, 2018

You should still go get help depression is nothing to take lightly. If I had gone for help years ago when i first noticed my depression, I wouldn

selfdisciplinedBeach7133 June 6th, 2018

I think that I am depressed. I dont really know..

it seems as though life is great. My boyfriend is good to me, my family accepts me for being gay, I have a decent job and money saved back, pretty good health, however I often feel empty. Lonely maybe. Sad and sometimes unsure why.

As as a kid I was beaten, emotionally and physically and mentally abused. Alcoholic father. Parents divorced, then my mom divorced again. Lots of family deaths (1 to cancer, 1 to cirrhosis, 1 to heart attack and lots more for other reasons).

Family is all split apart and no one communicates much. At first I wasnt accepted for being gay and also live in a small TN town so its very hard to show who I am.. or who I want to be maybe. Theres no way to find out.

I just need someone to talk to I think, but therapy is too expensive. Anyone else feel similar? I also am a little scared that I would be diagnosed with something. Almost positive I would