Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Physical activity and depression.

Tatety23 December 27th, 2015

I'm in college and my last few months were not so good, and I end up with the counselor and college doctor. Was the first time in five years that I seek for help.

They told me to try do some exercises, eat better and try not to isolate myself. Yeah... Great like I didn't have tried anything like this before. Seriously a 2 min search on google could have led me to the same thing!!! But after a lot of breathing and cursing I decided to try one more time.

I'm eating green things that I don't bother to learn the name, fruits and going to the gym almost everyday for the past month. I was supposed to feel ANY difference by now? Because I'm just angry...

I hate that place so much... I actually hate any type of physical activity and I really don't understand how a person who supposed to be sane could ever love this thing so much to turn it in to a lifestyle. It's just not right...

I'm not overweight, I don't have physical problems and I actually find a lot of this very easy... But I just hate...It's SO FUCKING BORING!!!!

This thing of physical activity in the treatment is mandatory? I really HAVE to do it? and it's for the rest of my life? because I couldn't stand one more week of this.

Ps:
1- I already tried other activities with longer periods and I hate it in the same way.
2- I'm grumpy as hell...
3- Kill me but please don't say YOGA!!!

Amelia December 27th, 2015

@Tatety23

What about martial arts? Tae Kwon Do, Karate, etc. Since you work up through the ranks, it would give you a goal of something to work towards/accomplish.....

Tatety23 OP December 27th, 2015

@RocketsMom I tried Capoeira(African fight style) for about 5 months... it's not that bad. But I didn't feel any change. My body was great but my mind was the same shit has ever...

And the same with all other things that I tried, in the end feel just like a huge waste of time and energy...

Katie77 December 27th, 2015

Things like changes and diet and exercise can help alleviate mild symptoms of depression but severe or chronic symptoms. Do you have access to a licensed psychologist who can provide you with actual therapy? Or a referral to a psychiatrist for medication, if you think that may be necessary?

@Katie77

They said that I was not at the point to try medication...
Here they only prescribe you something when you become a threat in some way.

I know that right now I'm not that bad. This things should work...

Katie77 January 3rd, 2016

@Tatety23 Well I'm happy to hear that you're on your way to improvement! If you'd like to set up a time to chat, this is my referral link http://www.7cups.com/12626091

What I am looking for in this activities?

To the ones who use this to treat and had good results. When normally I should feel something working? weeks? months?
How many days of workout?

AdVictoriam December 27th, 2015

There's a few reasons a regular exercise program can play a supporting role in treating depression. It's not going to resolve everything but what it will do is give you more energy. Exercise is known to enhance the action of endorphins, which improve natural immunity and reduce perceptions of pain. There's another theory that exercise stimulates the neurotransmitter norepinephrine, which can directly improve mood.

Overall, I believe that there's a mind-body connection. Similar to how it's harder to remain positive when you are sick all the time, having a healthy body can create lasting emotional and mental support.

Here's a short Harvard U article about exercise and depression

Exercise regiments are something that even top performers recommend.

Have you also tried music or watching videos while exercising by chance? (I personally love running and listening to audiobooks)

@AdVictoriam I usually listen to music while exercising.

I just don't understand. I'm trying so hard and this still seems pointless...

I don't know when I was supposed to feel any difference. I don't know what I suppose to notice in myself, what should be the difference.

AdVictoriam December 27th, 2015

@Tatety23

The exercise should make you feel like it's easier to move around.

It's supportive, in that it will make things easier or it can help prevent things from getting worse.

When it comes to the actual depression, that's still something that needs to be resolved.

Does this make sense?

@AdVictoriam Yeah It does...

Thank you.

But I think this it's not enough for me... I don't want just stabilize, I want to get better.
I will search for other alternatives.