Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

In your own opinion, what is the difference between sadness and depression?

MadCatter February 21st, 2018

Everyone has their own opinions and everyone's emotions are different.

Offmytrack February 22nd, 2018

Sadness and depression cover ranges of emotions that overlap. Sadness is the feeling I get when either something bad has happened, or things are just kind of getting me down. For me, depression is almost like a weight, crushing me beneath it. It leaves me unable to function, wishing for release of any kind, including death. Depression can linger on for days, weeks, months, years. Sadness is usually more temporary for me, lasting usually less than a week.

Phthalo February 22nd, 2018

Sadness is an emotion that you can bounce back from, perhaps with a meme or a pep talk. Depression, well it varies a lot but generally it's a lack of emotion (mostly the positive kind) and it's very difficult to climb out of. Often requiring professional help.

RecoveringFlower February 23rd, 2018

Well everyones opinion is different obviously, but here is mine.

Sadness-being sad lol just kidding. Its like you are a bit down because of something happened like you found out something bad happened and it makes you a bit sad.

Depressed- its a mental state, not really an emotion. You can still feel happy or anything other than depression still, but feeling depressed is like you are deep in a hole and its very hard to get out. It means you push loved ones away, make bad choices and overall are not happy with life and at that point you need help

Heyanonhowwasyourday February 23rd, 2018

I'd say sadness is feeling unhappy but there is still hope / a way out. Depression is feeling unhappy but you are in complete darkness with no way knowing how to get out.

Melancholyhills February 23rd, 2018

@MadCatter I think that if you are sad it can be overulled by tasks and things that could distract you from the sadness. Like you would watch a movie or go somewhere to clear your head and think of why you're sad and maybe that would fix the emotion and you'd move on. But depression is much different because most of the time (for me) it is impossibe to shift that hopeless feeling, if I try to distract myself I can still feel the heavy weight in my chest.

llucaworks February 24th, 2018

Sadness is having something happened and being upset about it. It

bluei9107 March 9th, 2018

@MadCatter In my opinion, sadness what leads to depression.

Sadness is an instant feeling that you feel right there and there because of something, just like happiness, being scared, or being shocked. Something happens and you feel it but it's a temporary thing that you just feel for a short while and it leaves you.

Depression on the other hand is what I think more of severe sadness that lasts for a prolonged period. It can happen because a lot of things happened to you and you were constantly feeling sad because of these events. Or it can happen because of a traumatic experience that you are left being very very sad. Depression doesn't go away like just other fleeting emtion. You could think it went away but you realise it really didn't and it comes back to you to remind you of it. You could feel depressed because of something or nothing at all. It could last for 30 minuites or for months or years. It could have a regular cycle or none.

Feeling sad after watching a movie won't make you want to kill yourself but prolonged depression would.

AntenorA December 13th, 2018

I think the difference is that depression kills logic in your mind. When you are just sad you don't think everyone you know will be better off if you die, or at least it's highly unlikely, casue it makes no sense. You don't connect one small problem with everything wrong in your life in an eternal string of failure telling you the exact same dark future awaits you no matter what.
You are sad - time goes by and you are better. You are depressed - time goes by and you are worse.

oOmilkshakeOo December 14th, 2018

Sadness is a pebble tied to your ankle with a string while depression is a boulder attached with a metal chain.

Sadness is an emotion filled with salt water while depression is a fact of life filled by a void.

Sadness is a temperary state caused by a scratched heart while depression is a common state caused by a bleeding heart.

Sadness won't comfort you with lies while depression makes you feel at home.

heartstay strongheart

loganAzalea December 15th, 2018

For me, depression makes me numb. It's almost relieving to be sad, because sadness is something that I can get over, and I know it will pass.

Depression feels endless, like there's no hope in sight, like there's nothing in the world that can make me feel again. I think a lot of people confuse depression to just be prolonged sadness, but it's really so much more.

emmatommo December 17th, 2018

in my opinion depression is when i turn inward i feel like im annoying everyone and everythings my fault. i cant focus at all because the thoughts in my head are so loud. i feel numb i feel dead i dont feel alive. depression is violent

sadness is easier its more calm calm its easy to get rid of and i normally just feel tired and bored

Rheireton17 December 23rd, 2018

In my opinion, depression is when i go quiet and give up. Its when i feel like a lost cause and like I'm not worth it anymore.

When I'm sad though, i seem to still be there. I am still able to be around people without feeling worthless or invisible.