Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do I talk to my boss?

mjiyn2010 November 8th, 2015

Hey guys. So I'm currently living in Central America teaching at a bilingual school. I've been in the midst of a bad depressive episode for almost 7 months now and it just seems to be getting worse. I am supposed to be here until June when the school year ends but am thinking more and more that I really ought to go back home at Christmas.

I hate to leave the school short a teacher and walk away from a commitment I've made, but I can't get any help here and I really don't think I'll live to see the end of the school year if I try to fight it out. I know that people here tend to have a pretty bad stigma about mental health so I'm just not sure how to best approach this to make her understand that I really don't want to go, but I need to. I'm really worried she's going to be very angry with me.

Thoughts? Ideas on what to say?

Sm77 November 8th, 2015

I think the best thing to do is be honest. Make sure you thank her for the opportunity because it does sound like you truly enjoy what you are doing. The most important thing is your mental health right now though. If she doesn't understand, she doesn't understand. But I think if you are honest and tell her exactly what you said in your post she will understand. I hope everything works out, you can do this!

astuteScorpius November 8th, 2015

It's a difficult subject to breach especially if in a part of the world that may not view it as important. I think the best way to say it would be that you have a chronic health issue that is coming up you need to address and then get into specifics if asked.

As the other poster said, thank them for the opportunity and all you've gained from the experience.

mjiyn2010 OP November 9th, 2015

Thank you both for taking the time to weigh in on my questions. I talked to my boss today and it went far better than I was expecting. She didn't pry but also wasn't mad at me like I was expecting.

Sm77 November 10th, 2015

@mjiyn2010 I'm so glad it worked out for you! I hope things keep going your way!