Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can a lack of sleep cause depression?

Reemkindsmile September 10th, 2021
No. Lack of sleep alone cannot cause depression, but it does play a role. Lack of sleep resulting from another medical illness or the presence of personal problems can intensify depression. Chronic inability to sleep is also an important clue that someone may be depressed.Common triggers of depression include:
Family history of depression.
An abnormal reaction over the loss of a loved one through death, divorce, or separation.
Interpersonal disputes.
Physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
Major life events such as moving, graduating or retiring, etc.
Serious illness. Major, chronic, and terminal illnesses often contribute to depression. These include cancer, heart disease, stroke, HIV, Parkinson's disease, and others.
Substance abuse. Street drugs or heavy alcohol use can cause mood changes that mimic depression or other mood disorders. In addition, some people with substance abuse problems also may have depression, bipolar disorder, or other mood problems even when they are not using mood-altering substances.
Being socially isolated or excluded from family, friends, or other social groups.
RarelyCharlie September 10th, 2021

@Reemkindsmile There is some research that indicates lack of sleep, in the long-term (chronic), can cause depression, but the relationship between sleep and depression is very complex:

In conclusion, chronic sleep deprivation rather than acute sleep loss may lead to depression that is potentially attributable to the neurochemical changes that occur in the brain.

Charlie

limegreenClementine9534 November 16th, 2021

I always overthink and cause of overthinking i cant sleep.i feel helpless in the situation i am facing for many years and no solution.abd this has made me frustrated and depr

essed