Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

You don't necessarily need to understand, you just have to be present.

MarianaFilipaSouza6 August 27th, 2015

"I hope you never know what its like to wake up and wish you hadnt. Not because youre tired and you want another few minutes of sleep; not because youre hungover; not because its Monday and you dont want to go to work.

I mean you wake up, and you realize tomorrow came — and its not a good feeling. I mean you wake up and you open your eyes, only to close them right away and silently keep yourself away from it all. I mean you wake up and you are disappointed that you didnt, by some miracle, die in your sleep.

Quite simply, I mean waking up is just a reminder that you havent escaped your life yet. Youre still here. And I hope you never understand what its like to wish you werent here.

I hope you never understand what its like to be unable to get out of bed. Not physically — because physically, you are capable. Your legs work. Your heart is beating. But I hope you never understand what its like to be unable to move simply because your thoughts are crippling you. I hope you never understand what its like to be held in place, stuck there, battling with yourself within your own mind. Swing that leg out and touch the floor. Take a step. Get out of the bed.

I hope you never understand what its like to forget what happiness feels like. I hope you never feel like theres no way out of your sadness. I hope you never get overcome by numbness. I hope you never experience that feeling of pure emptiness. I hope you never feel like there is nothing good, or bad, coming around the corner. I hope you never feel like you cant imagine there being a future for you.

I hope you never need to rely on people to remind you to eat.

I hope you never need to rely on people to remind you to sleep or to be awake.

I hope you never need to rely on people to remind you to take your multiple medications on a daily basis.

I hope you never, ever need to rely on people to hide all the sharp knives in the house so you cant get hold of them to hurt yourself.

I hope you never, ever need to be checked on every time you take a bath, just because theres a chance youre trying to drown yourself.

I hope you never know what its like to not be trusted near open windows.

I hope you never have to convince yourself not to jump in front of the train as it approaches on the platform.

I hope you never understand what it means to be afraid of opening the front door and stepping out into the real world.

I hope you never have to force yourself to appear normal and happy when all you want to do is run and hide, and never come out.

I hope you never understand what it feels like to worry that everyone in the world is against you.

I really hope you never understand what it means to feel completely alone while youre surrounded by people.

I really, really hope you never understand what it means to want to end it all.

I do hope you understand that you cant always understand.

I do hope you understand that you dont need to understand.

I do hope you understand that you cant fix everything.

I hope you understand that no one thinks you can, and no one is expecting you to.

I think you do understand that no one knows the battles other people are fighting.

I think you do understand that we all have our own stories.

I think you understand that we dont need to understand each other to support each other, and to love each other, and to wish the very best for each other.

I think you can see that all anyone has ever wanted is to be accepted.

So, stand by me. Lie next to me. Sit with me. Talk to me. Stay silent. Hold my hand or smile at me. Tell me youre with me and that everything will be okay, someday. It might not be now. I know that. I might be hurting for a long time. I might be numb for a long time. I might be happy for a long time, and I might feel myself falling down the tunnel again.

So just tell me youll stay with me and youll protect me from myself, because thats who Im most afraid of.

Tell me youll hang out with me until the storm passes. And then, once it has, hang out with me some more.
You dont have to understand me. I dont want you to know what this is like, because I know its awful, and thats enough. I dont want you to know it for yourself.

I just want to know that youre here with me."

LostDandelion August 27th, 2015

So beautiful and much needed. Thank you :)

AdVictoriam August 27th, 2015

@MarianaFilipaSouza6

Thank you so so so much for writing this. Sometimes it's not about trying to fix the person's depression. It's about just being there and making sure they have someone to lean on if they need it

AdVictoriam August 27th, 2015

@MarianaFilipaSouza6

Oh my gosh, I just tried to message you and realized I couldn't.

Thank you so much for writing this. I can't say enough good things about it - it's well written, it's resonates with me so emotionally that I get tears just reading it, and I can't say how much I appreciate you writing this. I wish everyone who isn't depressed but knows someone who is can read this because it so so well describes how you can help someone without having all the answers.

EmbodimentofAwkward August 27th, 2015

Thank you for posting this

Devilishnephilim August 27th, 2015

This made me cry

x0xlovesx0x August 28th, 2015

This is amazing it made me cry. I have this book on wattpad i would really love to imclide this i really think it needs to be shared. May i please have your permission to include this? If so can you say so and a name to credit it to. Thanks x

Celaeno August 28th, 2015

Oh, there it is.

Here in your words, @MarianaFilipaSouza6, I found a Relief. It hides behind your Compassion, and Talent. Side by side with an Understanding. Can you see it? It's right there, before your Hopefulness and Sincerity. It's small and almost transparent, but you can sense it by its warm.

How could I not notice it before? Did your enhance it and make it shine through midst of depression? Or is it was me, so focus on my own pain, I wasn't able to feel the comforting touch.

Either way, thank you for showing me it. I needed this today.

Lots of love!

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn August 28th, 2015

thank you so much for sharing this

orangeBanana8658 August 29th, 2015

Thank you.

Lilylistens August 29th, 2015

@MarianaFilipaSouza6 ~ Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

DHawks August 29th, 2015

Reading this moved me immensely, it's like you put into words what I've felt many, many times. This was beautiful.

I hope I get to see more from you in the forums because this piece is priceless. Thank you for sharing.

Anomalia September 8th, 2015

This is absolutely perfect and so needed. Thank you.

Roadie June 16th, 2016

Bumping for the current audience

MusicalMelody18 June 17th, 2016

such a beautiful, beautiful post!

Sofimus February 8th, 2017

@MarianaFilipaSouza6

I read your post a couple of days ago and it really touched me. Although, I do not relate to everything you say I surely felt connected and somewhat relieved that there is someone other than me in this world that understand what it is like to live with depression. I cried in relief. There is something that caught my attention: you say you do not wish that others feel how you feel but you ask for support anyway. I've always wanted others, my close family members to understand how I feel. It hasn't happened and I questioned myself if I really wished they would be depressed so they would understand. For many years I have wished that, not because of punishment or anger, simply because I really have wanted for them to understand. Now I'm learning that there are other people how suffer like I do and that my relatives don't have to understand what it really feels like. I am challenged to ask for support and be willing to receive it from who are willing and be courageous about it. Not an easy task for me. "Ask and you shall receive..."

crimsonMelon8700 March 11th, 2017

Thank you for sharing this.

Hamilfan77 July 1st, 2018

Thank you for saying this. It something that gave voice to what Ive been thinking and feeling for a long time. I dont expect people to know whats going on in my head and I dont want anyone else to ever have to understand I just want someone wholl be there to support me. Wholl be able to see through my lies and say I know youre not fine and Im here to help. Someone who just is there to love and care for you.

this is so beautiful

igoback622 July 2nd, 2018

@MarianaFilipaSouza6

This is so perfect. I want to send this to the very few people who know that I am struggling and hope that it makes them understand what depression is all about. That it's NOT just a matter of "find something to make you happy!", or "be positive!", or "maybe it's time for a change?!".

This is beautiful and sad in so many ways, but so necessary, thank you.

plumField5702 July 2nd, 2018

@MarianaFilipaSouza6

read it all. oh god! this is so accurate and beautiful and heart-melting. 😭

stressBear June 15th, 2020

@MarianaFilipaSouza6 Thank you! This is incredibly beautiful and and incredibly true. heart