Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Well, I've learned a valuable lesson

AutumnEagle February 14th, 2017

Before I was diagnosed, I thought if I were to have depression, I wouldn't resort to medicine, I'd fight it head on.

I was stupid for thinking that.

I had no idea. Now, I never have shamed anyone for being on medication for it. I knew for some it was necessary. I just didn't think it was for me, until about 2 years-ish ago.

I was diagnosed in college during my junior year. I first found 7cups, then, after much begging from my advisor, I saw over the counselors at my university and after working with her, she recommended I try the medication. So I went to our health center during doctor's hours and got the prescription. The first day and week were an absolute NIGHTMARE due to my body adjusting to the medication. I locked myself in my room, it was that bad. However, the more my body adjusted, the more comfortable I got with the thought of being on medication myself. Especially after I felt and noticed the benefits of the medication. It took the physical edge off, which was, and still is amazing. Then, when I was almost out, I'd go to the health center and renew it, no problem.

Now that I'm no longer in school, I have issues. I cannot just go and renew my prescription anymore. I would have to go and pay for it to be renewed since it wasn't my primary care doctor who did it for me. I have now health insurance cause I cannot afford it and do not qualify for any of the state programs. So, I'm on my last batch of pills and I'm SOL. Sigh.

TransAm85 February 16th, 2017

@AutumnEagle Are you in the USA? You should've applied on the Health Insurance Marketplace. They have private insurance companies that most hospitals/clinics/doctors/pharmacies take. It is through the AFA and Obamacare, but Trump hasn't cancelled it yet! I make too much also to get any state/government insurance also, so I applied for private insurance and got it. Only problem is thier a little strict on MRI's, CT scans, and super expensive medications b/c they're kinda cheap lol. But try it!

AutumnEagle OP February 20th, 2017

@TransAm85

I've tried...The keep telling me I can afford their plans when I absolutely cannot. I also do not qualify for state assistance, as much as I've tried. :(

CoinFountain February 16th, 2017

@AutumnEagle

If your primary doctor won't issue you a new prescription for the same drug that the other one prescribed to help save any amount of money on it through the state when it would be if you went through them initially, they are being dicks about it and I'd recommend switching primary care doctors. I'd also ask them if there's options for low income individuals if you haven't thought to ask already...That option isn't always revealed unless the staff is made aware of the need case by case and probably requiring proof of income.

AutumnEagle OP February 20th, 2017

@CoinFountain

I'm planning on switching primary care doctors, as mine is just a dick. Also, every time I go to see any doctor or places, I always ask if they have financial aid stuff. I learned that already :D