Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Time perception.

Faeriequeen13 September 2nd, 2015

I think one of the worst things about depression is how it messes with your time perception. Like, I can't remember if I showered yesterday or four days ago. The days just blend together and it makes everything seem worse. Does anyone else feel this way?

LoneWolfAshes96 September 2nd, 2015

Yes I have experienced this and I still am. Half the time I can't even remember what day of the week it is. My insomnia doesn't help either. Some days I will even forget if I taken my medication that morning or not. I know this far too well, and it only makes it more painful. The best way I cope with it is meditation, chakra cleanses and trying to get a full 8 hour rest. Drink some tea too. I'm a very spiritual person but you can look up different ways that better suit your coping styles.

Faeriequeen13 OP September 2nd, 2015

I'm actually a very spiritual person too so this advice really helps, thank you!smiley And I'm glad somebody else experienced this too.

Alaska0617 September 2nd, 2015

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing whole days and other times it's like I'm missing just little things, like if I had washed my hands before I ate, or if I even ate. It's very scary for me to lose my memory so much. It seems that the more tired I am, the more memory I lose. I mentioned to my doctor that I have been having more and more troubles with my memory and he said that I just have a bad memory and it's nothing to worry about.

I feel like it's something to worry about. I'm worried it'll affect my entire life at one point, what if I leave the car running overnight? Or if I forget I have an exm and then don't show up?

I know how you feel.

adamabinta September 2nd, 2015

Not that I imagine this adds anything constructive to this thread, but in case you had the "time" and were interested, here is a chapter from one of my favourite books that debates whether time even exists: https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=time.pdf

Maybe it'll help provide a new/different perspective on feeling like you are losing time.