Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I think I'm done with medication

BearMerchant August 5th, 2020

What it says on the tin, I'm giving up on antidepressants. I recently got a gene test done that revealed some unfortunate news: not only do I have a short form of the serotonin gene, but I have an abnormal metabolism that makes SSRI's ineffective, not to mention a whole host of other medications. On top of this I don't produce dopamine or serotonin effectively on my own.

The only options I have are designer drugs that cost hundreds of dollars, drugs my insurance won't cover.

I've been on Wellbutrin for nearly a month now and somehow feel worse than before and I'm just. Tired. I'm tired and I'm done.

Not sure why I'm posting this on a public forum. Couldn't tell you. A confession to strangers can be freeing, I guess. That's about all I've got.

jwsgson126 August 5th, 2020

@BearMerchant thanks for sharing your story. I just want to say don't lose hope, there are ways to feel better without medication! I remember having some genetic testing done, and hearing from some professionals that they may not be 100% accurate. While I do believe they have validity behind them, I think there is always room for error. I spent years looking for the right medication to treat my anxiety and depression. I went through some pretty horrific experiences on certain SSRIs that I did not tolerate. It took me a few years but I settled on a steady regimen, I just really was in it for the long hall. If Wellbutrin isn't for you, then there are other options! There are more medicines other than SSRIs, there are a number atypical antidepressants on the market and I personally found relieve with the addition of antipsychotics to my antidepressant regimen.

hang in there! Feel free to reach out

jwsgson126

BearMerchant OP August 6th, 2020

@jwsgson126

Thank you for the kind words, appreciate it. Have a good day!

tluper6491 August 6th, 2020

I'm starting to feel the same way but more because I just don't care anymore or see the point in trying.