Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I can't deal with compliments

LethalUnicorn May 12th, 2016

I don't even know where to post this, but I'm depressed so I guess this is the right place?

The weirdest thing just happened. I just got a compliment. Not on something I've made or done but on me. And the wrongness of it made me break down and cry. Because I'm not "great". I do all the things I do to try and keep up with the world and its expectations on what a person like me should do. I don't even do the things I do very well, my predecessors have always done so much more than I will ever achieve.

I find it such a weird reaction. A genuine compliment is something you're supposed to appreciate and be happy about, right? But if it hadn't been said over a Facebook chat I probably would have laughed and... I don't know... tried to tell her that I'm not. Or maybe yelled at her for being wrong. Because I can't see anything "great" about me as a person. I really can't and in a way I hate that, because believing in yourself is another thing you're supposed to do, right? And that's another thing that I just can't do.

I don't even know where I'm going with this. Has anyone else had an experience like this? How do you even deal with a comment... compliment... like that?

Anth12 May 12th, 2016

@LethalUnicorn

hey I know what your saying I'm exactly the same I'm currently dealing with severe clinical depression and when I do get a compliment I end up telling them to jog on in stronger words

brokenhome May 12th, 2016

@LethalUnicorn I have had a experience like this before. All I do is say thanks and think that it isn't true. But I suggest not to follow that advice because it usually leads me to depression

adamabinta May 12th, 2016

@LethalUnicorn

You don't have to believe the compliment, but you can believe that the other person believes it. Other people will see us differently than we see ourselves; sometimes they'll see us lesser, and other times they'll see us better. When you discount what another person says, you are saying that they are wrong, a liar, or that their experience is invalid. If you were both looking at the same painting, and she/he said it was beautiful, but you thought it was unappealing, would you tell him/her that his/her perception is wrong? That's at it is - perception. I remember I was once in a bible study with a leader who did a really good job running the study. Usually I am quiet and too nervous to talk in groups, but I felt comfortable sharing my opinions in his study, and I really liked the discussions that were generated. After the study ended, and the group was walking together out the door, I told him what a good job he did - that he was very down-to-earth and relatable - and how comfortable I felt expressing my thoughts during the study. This man is otherwise a mechanic by day, and I suppose he was insecure about his ability to lead, so instead of accepting the compliment, all he said was "Awkward." He completely discounted my experience in front of everyone. It really hurt. My suggestion to you is to simply accept what a person says at face-value, and say "thank you". Like I said, it might not be your truth, but it's their truth, and the last thing you want to do is discourage a person from spreading a little positivity in the world.

creativeCamp2095 May 12th, 2016

Most of the time when I get compliments I don't believe them. I either think the person is trying to cheer me up, or they're just a kind person to see me in such a positive light. I've had a few times when I've disagreed with what people said, but I always felt rude, so I just accept it... say thank you and try to hope that one day I'll be in a place where I can believe them. I have cried before from getting compliments but luckily only online and not in person.

FantasiaSweetShock May 12th, 2016

I relate to this so much. Usually I think if someone is giving me a compliment I think they are wrong because they don't know the whole picture or that they are just being nice and pitying me. My usual response is to reject the compliment and say it's not true because I refuse to accept it. One of my friends have noticed this and has basically given me her stink face every time I say a bad thing about myself. Now I think I'm conditioned to see her stink face whenever I say something bad about myself which is honestly really funny now. I don't know if it's working on eliminating my problem of rejecting compliments but it does make me think twice now about doing it