Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Finding ongoing care

BetheyBoop September 7th, 2017

My real questions is whether anyone knows how to get psychiatric consultation online. I have really struggled to find a psychiatrist who will consult with me via phone or web, and honestly that's what I need.

I went to another psychiatrist yesterday and she was really rude...I just want someone to manage my medications. I know I'm probably never going to be "cured" of this. It's hereditary, I've had it since I was 13, it's not situational. I don't need another suggestion to "meditate" or another doctor telling me it'll get better when I finish school, etc. I have a disease, I'm trying to manage it. I'd like to work with someone who understands this is long-term for me.

JanahisHere September 11th, 2017

@BetheyBoop

Hey Bethey!

I am sorry to hear that finding help has been so hard! I just wanted to stop by and share some suggestions that others told me when I started my search. Keep in mind this might not work for you or be the best, even only a few worked for me! But I thought maybe you would be able to find something from it at least!

* Know the difference between a psychologist (more about therapy) and psychiatrist ( more about the body and can give medication).

*It sometimes can take years to find the perfect person for you! So take your time.

*Sometimes you can out grow the person, it is okay to move on if you need to

*Be honest with them about medication, it can take some time to find what works best for you! So let them know about how it is good and bad, they are here to help you!

*It will be expensive, so going through insurance is usually better money wise, but don't be afraid to ask if you can get a discount based on what you earn! Sometimes private practices are willing to give discounts so it doesn't hurt to ask!

*If you want medication, most likely you will have to have at least one in person visit a year or more. It all depends on how safe the medication is leave unwatched body chemistry wise. So depending on your medication you might have to go in and get tests done to show how it working! This is good though because your medication needs will change as you get older, are on the med for a while, and a bunch of other potential reasons. So it means they are finding a medication that will work as perfectly as they can get it for you!

I hope this helps! Good luck hon!

PromotingWellness September 12th, 2017

@BetheyBoop I'm so sorry you've had this experience. It does take time to look for a psychologist/psychiatrist that fits. I do think you should be perfectly clear about what you're looking for. And I hope you find one soon that you like! heart