Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feeling worthless with higher standards

Dinocanid May 16th, 2016

It seems like whenever I try my best at doing something, it isn't good enough and when I try even harder it still doesn't make a difference.

One example is art. I plan to be a professional animator and game designer, so it's pretty much means the world to me. However, I always get the feeling that it's not good enough and no matter how hard I try, it never is. It always needs to be better. Another example is with school. I was homeschooled from 2nd to 7th grade, after which I went to public school in the 8th grade. I was lucky enough to have some old friends there but once 9th came along, everyone moved away. Almost in the 11th grade now with no friends to turn to. I'm not talkative, just a chill genderfluid person who plays video games and draws all day. I have yet to meet anyone who is remotely the same. My grades began to drop from the sheer stress of a school environment and caused major anxiety issues for me. To the point where I might "lock up" and not be able o write or properly solve questions. My parents tell me to bring up my grades, which isn't bad, but they don't seem to acknowledge the fact that I'm trying as hard as I can.

buttercuplily03 May 16th, 2016

@Dinocanid I fell you. I understand. I am going though the same.

Chiaroscuro1 May 17th, 2016

@Dinocanid - Hi. I see you are new here. Welcome to 7 Cups! I can hear that you are in a difficult situation with school and it is always hard if other people can't see or understand how hard you are trying and the effort you put in. But it sounds like you are very hard on yourself as well, particularly when it comes to your art. Have you heard about "The Artist's Way"? It's an amazing book written by Julia Cameron and will help you a great deal in taking steps towards not being so self-critical about your art. I wonder how you would feel about giving that a try. We also have self-help guides here. You can find them if you click on Path --> Self-help guides. I'm specifically wondering if the Getting Unstuck guide could help you. Or maybe you would prefer to talk to a listener? You can click on Chat --> Connect Now. I hope your journey here on 7 Cups will take you to many positive, uplifting and motivating things and that it will be a very positive experience for you. Good luck.

Chiaroscuro1 May 17th, 2016

Let me see if I can make it easier for you. You can find the Getting Unstuck self-help guide here. And if you want to talk to a listener and don't want to wait in the que, you can choose one here according to what you need and leave a message for them.