Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depression is like...

Sunny0611 April 22nd, 2021

It's like trying to get a car moving with no fuel, and everyone's driving past you wondering why you're not moving. You get out and start pushing the car, but it wears you out, and people get frustrated and complain that you're being too slow. You try to explain that you have no fuel, but they don't really get it because their tanks have been full their entire lives.

meremuse April 24th, 2021

I always compare it to going through your day while waist deep in invisible mud.

Sunny0611 OP April 30th, 2021

So so true!

Wow! Thank you Panda. Maybe I will try and work it into a poem. Sending hugs x

sadie71807 April 30th, 2021

@silverPanda5291 I agree, it was typed well!

emotionalNectarine9793 April 29th, 2021

This has to be the best way I’ve heard depression explained and couldn’t agree more. I’ve always explained it as feeling like I’m stuck in a dirt hole and with every reach to try and get out I end up getting buried more. Every once in a while someone will throw me a rope or ladder but it seems to break when I’m halfway out and the hole seems to get deeper when I fall. And then the tears start up and the dirt turns to mud and I start to sink in a different way.

I’m glad it has resonated with you. Yours is also a very good analogy. Sending hugs. I hope you’re ok

SofiaIphosphorlake May 1st, 2021

That’s really well said! If feels also like walking into deep sand sometimes

Baytova May 3rd, 2021

This literally is the perfect explanation.

Sunny0611 OP June 5th, 2021

Thank you 😊

enthusiasticTortoise6681 May 3rd, 2021

@Sunny0611

excellent metaphor, and thank you for sharing, cause i know the isolation of these issues is compounding, wished i knew some brilliant advice to help, but alls i have is appreciation, and the ability to relate, I know ill go outside today, to put sunshine on my face, this helps to quiet tor mention

AngelWytch May 4th, 2021

For me it's like a heavy, wet, medieval tapestry has been hung around my neck, and while I'm looking to the sky seeing the sun for the last few moments I'm being pulled by it into a dark pit of snakes. They bite, and their venom both hurts and numbs me, making me feel even more helplessly stuck. Sometimes, I'll wake up, and someone's helped me get out for a brief moment, but then I get dragged back in, and now the pit is even deeper than before. I feel like it's pointless for someone to try and help me, or to help myself, cause it just feels worse and worse everytime.

MiniJVan May 22nd, 2021

It has always been a struggle for myself having this image of what depression is to myself and life. I some how always come back to feeling like your in a room with any amount of people, family, or friends, and I could be anywhere within that room, but it’s like I’m a mute or ghost to everyone around me. Always pushed to the side or corner, even if I were to see myself make a peep or scream, it would go unnoticed.

enthusiasticTortoise6681 June 16th, 2021

Depression is like that dress, size 2, that makes you feel holey silly garbage everytime it comes unburried, and it's never turned away...the ugliest changing friend who cannot be killed more than vanity