Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Dating Someone who is Suffering from Depression

bubbleChestnut3363 October 8th, 2017

Hello People,

I recently got into this relationship with this cute guy. He admitted to me he suffers from depression. How can I be support to him when goes through times when he struggles?

Broadwaygal24601 October 8th, 2017

@bubbleChestnut3363 Learning about Depression and learning the difference between helping and enabling can be really helpful. I always felt like people just didn

LuminousRainbows October 8th, 2017

Though you may not be able to understand everything just stay by his side when he does go through the tough times, reassure him that it will get better.

LilGreenBird October 8th, 2017

Hi there. Firstly, it's wonderful that you are so supportive of your partner and what he's going through. As for advice, I suggest firstly to learn a bit about depression first, read about it online if necessary. Sometimes listening and helping him with little things without judging or blaming him is a good way to support him. It is also good to know that supporting him will help but not cure him, so when he has symptoms, do not blame him or yourself for the depression being there. Next, take time for self care. Supporting those with any mental illness can be taxing at times, so setting boundaries and looking out for yourself is just as important so you don't burn yourself out when caring for him. Best of luck!

romanticthi3f October 12th, 2017

@bubbleChestnut3363

It's great that you reached out about this and especially so early on in the relationship - often when people reach out it's been months or years which makes things really tricky to manage!

I think the advice that's already been given here is really good; the only thing I can think of is that it might help to keep in touch when you feel like or when he feels like he's 'falling into depression' or having an episode (whatever wording you both feel comfortable with). The reason behind that is because everyone experiences depression sooo differently. How we respond and support people through it varies on how they experience it. Some people continue to go to work/study and put on a happy face where as others can't get out of bed. Some want to talk and talk and others don't want to talk at all.

In the meantime it might help to have a conversation with them; ask about what seems to trigger it, what seems to help/not help and how they might like you to support them.

For me personally I never had an issue with the enabling/not enabling but the biggest concern for me was knowing how to support them and what they needed. The way I support one person with depression is very different to the way I support another person with depression. There's no clear cut way.

Hope this helps!

smiley

buccinator October 12th, 2017

I am glad to have found this post. I am married to someone for over ten years and for the past year or so my spouse has been suffering from depression. At first we thought that it was because our apartment was small and we needed more space. So we moved in to a huge and expensive place and we did it up to her taste and liking.

Next she said, that she does not get exercise. Sp now she walks to work and we have a gym in our building. Still no help.

I am clueless where to start. I have tried to get her therapy and she said it was of no use. I talk to her and there is no help. It is so bad at times, that while making love one night, she became aggressive, started hurting me and as I let her go, she turned over and staryed crying.

I need advice.