Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

You know who focuses on the positive? Losers.

patrik9321 November 30th, 2019

This is why I want an actual human being to talk to - not a career therapist but someone who is bored enough or kind enough to actually have an honest conversation. I feel like the Joker when his therapist asks him if hes having any negative thoughts. Therapists are readers and talkers, they are not very physical people and Id say seem pretty emotionally dead and lacking true empathy probably only gained in most humans from being personally afflicted by the condition they are supposed to be empathizing with. It is sometimes hard to empathize with something you have not personally been through.

patrik9321 OP November 30th, 2019

@patrik9321 For example; I am happiest finding and fixing my flaws. All this 'focus on the positive' b.s. just makes me more angry. Where would we be if our greatest men and women focused on the positive instead of doing something about the negative. Winners focus on THE NEGATIVE, not the positive. Theres a saying 'proud but never satisfied'. Its ok to be proud, but it is CRUCIAL to never be satisfied.

patrik9321 OP November 30th, 2019

@patrik9321 if I ever became satisfied, I would fall right back into my depression. Tears are healthy, anger is healthy, losing is healthy. There is no positive without the negative.

luxx454 January 5th, 2020

@patrik9321 But I feel you are somewhat seeing the positive in the negative by seeing that there's nothing wrong with tears, anger, and perhaps even being a loser as you can learn from failure. So I would say there's still value in both sides

RarelyCharlie November 30th, 2019

@patrik9321 I agree with you. When you focus on the positive you are either denying negatives exist or distracting yourself from them. If you do that, nothing will ever get fixed.

The book 7 Cups for the Searching Soul describes how denial and distraction are like an infection, and everyone needs to find an antidote to it in order to be able to live the life they want. There was a time, it seems long ago now, when this philosophy was at the heart of 7 Cups.

However, I happen to know some career therapists who actually do have honest conversations and who understand the healthy energy and power that can result from loss, anger and tears. I know there are a lot of incompetent therapists out there who will never get it, but there are also a few good ones.

If you'd ever like to chat about these things, feel free to click on my profile picture and send me a message.

Charlie