Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

is it real??

camerynrw August 26th, 2023

is it real???

I have always had doubts in my head that my depression isn’t real and that i was just faking it or the voices in my head would always tell me “you’re a liar you’re not really depressed you’re doing it for attention” and it kept me up at night it still does i don’t know what to get out of it or how to feel about it or even what to do about it does anyone else feel this way or have had these thoughts?

SolarGenerator August 26th, 2023

@camerynrw It can be bizarre when one's own thoughts gaslight even themself.

Feelings are valid. Whether they are your feelings or not your feelings, the way forward is the same.

SolarGenerator August 26th, 2023

https://ibb.co/HPV20QS

diplomaticSail1449 August 27th, 2023

Hi!

I used to have this exact problem, I still do sometimes, the voices will come and tell me I'm being overdramatic for attention. I saw a video once that really help me, it said something along the lines of "if your symptoms still show when you're alone you're not doing it for attention". Usually when this happens to me I'm alone so I'll just answer the voices "sure, look at all this attention I'm getting from all the people that are seeing this" (sarcasticly obviously). This really helps me so I thought I'd let you know, in case it helps you too.

Thats just the little trick I use to cope with it, but regardless, it isn't fake. Being depressed is no fun, as you probably know, you wouldn't go through it just for attention.

It's normal to feel that way when you have depression. I feel like since there's nothing to really measure how much emotional pain you're going through, we might sometimes feel like maybe you're not that sad or going through that much, because you really have no way of knowing how much sadness is "normal", so maybe everyone else is going through the same and they just deal differently, who knows. But honestly, that doesn't really matter. If how you feel is affecting you in a way that is giving you other symptoms like the ones of depression, than that's valid, no matter what. We don't all deal with stuff the same way and that's ok, you should never minimaze your pain.