Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I don't want my birthday to come

celerysticker December 15th, 2023

I don't really care who sees this, I just need to write down something. It feels like I shouldn't even think this way, that it's selfish to have these thoughts or this mindset. I wish I could just logic my way out of it. Maybe it's just the time of night, maybe I'm just tired. Who knows?

It doesn't feel like people really see me. I've told my friends that this past semester was really hard, my hardest actually. I've told them offhandedly that I've been struggling and the responses just seem.. lackluster. I know they're tired too but gosh it can really hurt my feelings sometimes. This isn't really meant to be a rant or a pity party. I just want someone to see me.

I'd like to get a therapist but I'm afraid of costs and I'm afraid of what my family will think. I'm afraid of many things and so very tired. Last semester was so incredibly draining and I don't know if this upcoming semester will be much better.

I'm not in a crisis at the moment but I truly don't want to live until my birthday. The window for that time is slowly shortening. I want to make it to Christmas and make sure everyone gets their gifts. But after that? I don't know. I'll feel like I failed somehow, if I make it to my birthday. I decided over the summer that I didn't want to. I've always struggled with these thoughts but they've only gotten stronger and so much more real. It's like I can feel them at the edge of my mind, waiting to swoop in when things get bad. "This is why you should've *******" like some lame op out excuse. I know it's cheap and selfish but it's still there.

Not sure what I'm looking for in this post. I just want the chance that at least someone hears me, I suppose.

December 16th, 2023

@celerysticker I hear you! 

Does your university maybe have a health clinic? Mine had free therapists.

When we get depressed we often see through a very narrow and distorted view. It’s not our fault. But the good news is we don’t have to stay in that state. You’re reaching out here and that’s really good. Don’t stop asking for help. Sometimes our friends aren’t really prepared to help especially if we’re dealing with deep pain. It isn’t their fault, they just don’t know how to really respond. That’s why it’s good to look for something like crisis chat or phone lines if they are available to you.

celerysticker OP December 16th, 2023

@FlatenedByLife thank you for listening. And yeah my university does have free mental health counseling, I was planning on seeing what they offered when the next semester started. I'm kinda going in phases of planning for my future and planning otherwise. Kind of weird, to be honest.

December 16th, 2023

@celerysticker Two plans are better than one. As long as you have two options you really have many.