Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Any Advice for No Interest in Life?

celerysticker February 25th

I'm not sure if this is depression or whatever, but I just feel like I have no real interest in doing. Things. These past few weeks, I'm motivated to do things only do avoid the consequences of not doing things (ex. turning in work because I don't want a zero, washing clothes so I don't have smelly clothes, etc.) But the lack of interest/motivation is growing. I can still interact with people fine, in fact I feel myself putting more energy into interactions than I usually do. It's easier to motivate myself to do things when someone else is involved (like going to an event with friends or eating because my friends are) but it's getting hard to do anything for myself. I don't know what I want to do with my future. I can play my games as much as I want but they're not really "fun". Scrolling on *** isn't fulfilling but it's easier to avoid my messy room or unfinished school work than actually do it. I find myself making excuses to not study or put effort into anything. Maybe I'm just tired from putting a lot of effort into last week.

Anyways sorry for a long post. Any advice on what to do? Or at least acknowledgement that "hey I struggle with this too lol"

PineTreeTree February 26th

@celerysticker I think maybe it’s normal to hit a point where things that used to keep us engaged start to lose their appeal somewhat. It’s really great that you’re still engaged with your social life. It could be, as you say, that you just need a rest, or maybe your inner self is suggesting you find something engaging. Maybe brainstorming what you want to do with your life might give you a kick. It can be a fun exercise if you ignore the “logical constraints,” and entertain a few different “what if” scenarios. It could be job related or a hobby or just a fun activity or vacation.  

sincerePlane4053 March 2nd

@celerysticker hello there, yes i struggle with this too.

Avolition is a symptom of depression and other mental health challenges, which can be reversed using talk therapy such as coming on 7 cups! of course a professional therapist is always good, but reaching out to people and starting to talk about it is what really makes it count. It's almost as if you are holding yourself accountable for the things that go on in your life that you may not let others see.

try to stay positive! doing little things at a time, no matter how small the task is always good. try to put them together when you are finished into a bigger goal! you can do it! just take some deep breaths and do some self-care, that's all you need. and talk it out. we are so glad you are here!

talk soon,

E

celerysticker OP March 5th

@sincerePlane4053  thank you for taking the time to respond and offering your own advice and insight. I hope that you too can make progress in this

gent67 March 5th

i struggle with this too literally all the time. 

maybe what can help is thinkng of something exotic to change up your life or make it interesting? like for example making a bucket list for the year and making time to complete the list. example is maybe trying a new recepie every night! Or planning on travelling somewhere you are intrested with, in the future when you are able to even if its a year or two from now. just stuff to get you excited. it helps with me since i get disinterested in life so often its tiring but thinking about stuff i would like to do and plan to do spikes me up and helps keep me going for now, hope this helps :) 

a more 

celerysticker OP March 8th

@gent67 yeah that's what I've been trying to do, I just haven't had any special goals to look forward to lol. I'm trying to get into writing and gaming more, I just need to find some long term goals or events to look forward to

gent67 March 9th

@celerysticker 

does travelling intrest you? or maybe doing something nice to help someone like volunteering? seeing people happy make others happy sometimes. also writing is awesome i wish u luck in that :)

celerysticker OP July 11th

@gent67 traveling does interest me, I'm just a little short on funds, haha. I try to make my friends happy at least

passionateEast3565 March 5th

Root cause of depression is not chemical imbalance https://youtu.be/_unXtsQI8dg?si=os39utxMN6LyED9H

slowdecline48 March 6th

I know the feeling.

GrayThePerson March 9th

I actually struggle with this too a heck lot. I do a real good job in school because I don't wanna fail and people praise me for it (like how much of a genius I am etc.) but I still find myself envious of others who found out what they're interested at in life despite not doing the best in school.

Sadly I don't have any advice at the moment. But I was able to escape the feeling once by trying novel methods of bringing your life back together and finding yourself from self-help books but was soon met by failure days after